Internal RSS feed with App studio App RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to make an internal news App that gets the data from our internal web server. For testing purposes I have copied an xml -file from a working rss feed (www.tivi.fi/rss.xml) and copied it to our internal server wwwroot (for example http://intranet.local/rss.xml). I can open the internal rss.xml from IE browser, but when I install the App to the device, the url doesn´t work. Do I have to publish the feed to our www-site or is there a way to get the app studio to work with the internal address? I know that it cannot work on the app studio website, but how come it doesn´t work when the app is installed on a device in the internal network?

regs,suppo

Thursday, August 6, 2015 12:07 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It's not a common scenario, but it should work without problems. Try to download the source code and debug the app. You should see an exception in the LoadDataAsync Method in the class DataViewModelBase that should help you to identify the problem.

Thanks.

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 6:22 PM

All replies

• Can you browse to the file in the internet explorer?  A couple of things I think can go wrong here.  The phone is not on the same network or your phone does not have permissions to access the file.  
    Saturday, August 8, 2015 1:38 PM
  • Hi,

The device is on a network that has access to the feed. I´m using the same Win8.1 machine to test the app and to access the feed on the browser. I have also checked that the permissions should be ok. I´ll double check this.

I transferred the rss -file to our public website and then I got the app to work. This is not an option for the production system, because the feed contains private information.

Can anyone say that this should work without a problem?

This works: rss feed is on public website: www.company.com/rss.xml

This doesn't work: rss feed is on internal site: http://company.internal.dom/rss.xml

- network and permissions are not the problem

Monday, August 10, 2015 6:06 AM
  • Hi,

I would actually talk with the network team to check if they allow internal apps to be opened from the phone.

Thanks.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 8:11 PM
  • Hi,

the device in question is a Windows 8.1 PC and it has access to the rss feed. I have been talk to the network team and I can use a browser (without any domain creditentials) on a same machine and access the feed. If I put the rss feed to an internet server and change the app to open it from the internet, it works fine. The app doesn't get the rss feed if it is on a local network. What am I missing??

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 3:06 PM
  • Hi,

It's not a common scenario, but it should work without problems. Try to download the source code and debug the app. You should see an exception in the LoadDataAsync Method in the class DataViewModelBase that should help you to identify the problem.

Thanks.

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 6:22 PM