none
[WP8.1]Does Windows Phone OS uses the app assembly name for any compatibility tweaks? RRS feed

• Question

• I discovered very weird behavior and I could not find any reasonable explanation of it. Here is what I do:

1. I use VS2015 to create a new 'Blank App (Windows Phone)'

2. I add one line <Slider Orientation="Horizontal" VerticalAlignment="Center" /> inside a <Grid> element on a MainPage.xaml

3. I build and run the app on my Lumia device (under OS 8.10.14226.359) and everything works smooth.

4. Then I change 'Assembly name' value in project properties to be 'aaaaa.WindowsPhone'

5. Now when I build and run the app on device it works amazingly bad! The slider moves jerky as if CPU is 100% busy (but it is not).

6. Changing assembly name to something else restores original smooth experience.

Important note, the name 'aaaaa.WindowsPhone' is actually a name of my another app I started developing quite long time ago. That app went through lots of deployments and crashes, you know.

Now the question: how it is possible at all? Is the OS uses the assembly name for any tweaks? Could it be that OS turns some kind of 'compatibility mode' for apps based on assembly name and some rules? If yes, what are these rules? Any ideas are welcome....

Monday, August 24, 2015 4:43 PM

All replies

• As other .Net application, an assembly's name is stored in metadata and has a significant impact on the assembly's scope and use by an application, see https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/k8xx4k69(v=vs.110).aspx

Your app should avoid using the same Assembly name, also some Reflection operations will be effected.

Best Regards,
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help

Tuesday, August 25, 2015 10:25 AM
  • "Your app should avoid using the same Assembly name" - the same to what? I cannot guarantee my assembly name will be different from your assembly name.
    Wednesday, September 2, 2015 1:37 PM
  • How about create new project call "aaaaa.WindowsPhone", could you see this issue again?

Best Regards,
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help

Thursday, September 3, 2015 5:39 AM
  • Yes, If I create a new project "aaaaa.WindowsPhone" the slider works jerky. Then, if I only change the assembly name to something different, "aaaaa.WindowsPhone2" for example, the slider works perfectly. Any ideas why?

If needed, I can take a short video demonstrating this problem.

Thursday, September 3, 2015 8:55 AM