none
Getting Folder Locations of Skydrive and Dropbox RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to get the local hard drive location of folders like Skydrive or Dropbox from a UWP API? In a classic app, one can find that out from registry. But in the store scenario, all these registry entries are in the Sandbox of those applications. In that case, how to get those locations?

Friday, September 13, 2019 5:31 AM

Answers

All replies

• use a folder picker as the folders are outside of sandbox. 

There's a broadFileSystemAccess restricted capability that let you access files outside the sandbox but 1 that does not tell you where the dropbox folder is and 2 you need a compelling reason to demand it if you target the Windows store. 

Visual C++ MVP

Friday, September 13, 2019 4:03 PM
  • I can use the standard File System dialog to select folder without problem because it's a win32 Desktop App which is a sort of file lister. I would like to add built-in favorites to common folders like Skydrive, Dropbox, etc. 

As I suspected, this is not possible to get in a UWP sandbox. May be, in future, the Dropbox developers themselves find a way to share such information via a file stored in some common folder like documents. But hasn't SkyDrive (being Microsoft) already done that in some other way? Just wondering.

Thanks.

Monday, September 16, 2019 5:01 AM
  • y for a desktop app SHGetKnownFolderPath FOLDERID_SkyDrive will give ur the location. 

Visual C++ MVP

Monday, September 16, 2019 5:39 AM
  • Great, thanks! That certainly helps.
    Monday, September 16, 2019 6:07 AM