none
Shell extension in Windows App Store? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have a Win32 app I'm trying to get into the App Store.

I read here that apps with shell extensions aren't supported:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/porting/desktop-to-uwp-prepare

2 questions:

1. If I rebuilt my app from scratch, is there any way to add a shell extension from an App Store app in general?

2. Any workarounds to install the shell extension? Right now, I actually install the extension by calling a separate EXE that installs the extension. (This made it easier for users to install or uninstall the extension.)

What if I installed the extension when the app started? Would permissions not allow that? (Setting up the shell extension is not great since it's a utility app, but if there's no other option, might be ok.)

Sunday, February 12, 2017 4:52 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I'm trying to involve someone who is more familiar with this topic.  

Appreciate your patience since there might be some time delay.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Mattew Wu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 13, 2017 7:28 AM
  • Hello SilentSteel,

The answer to both questions is neither of these are supported. The app must be self-contained and cannot call any external files or install any additional files/modules.

Would you please explain what your shell extension does? There might be an API/capability that will allow you to accomplish the same thing without resorting to a shell extension.

-Eric

Contact Dev Center Support

Monday, February 13, 2017 8:56 PM
    Owner
  • I'm trying to allow right click options for files in Windows Explorer. Ex: Right click a file, and you can share it with my app. The app is a file sharing app. Lets you transfer a files easily. (Yes crowded market, I know. But my project is open source)
    Sunday, February 26, 2017 4:57 AM