The following forum(s) are migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!

Ask new questions on Microsoft Q&A (Preview).
Interact with existing posts until December 13, 2019, after which content will be closed to all new and existing posts.

Learn More

none
Migration of Windows Phone Silverlight 8.1 to Windows Phone 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I wanted to migrate windows phone Silverlight 8.1 project to windows phone 8.1 (Jupiter). Do we have any tool available or any other way to migrate or I have to rewrite each file again in separate project of Windows Phone 8.1.

For example here in below image I have TestApp1 as Windows Phone 8.1 and again In some different solution I have Test App2( Windows Phone Silverlight 8.1 ).

I want to Migrate windows phone Silverlight 8.1 to Windows Phone 8.1.

Please suggest on this.

Thanks

Ajay M

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 5:55 AM

Answers

• Hi Ajay_Maurya,

Windows Phone Silverlight 8.1 app and Windows Phone Runtime 8.1 app are two types of apps for the Windows Phone 8.1.

Some feature or API which are supported in the Windows Phone Silverlight 8.1 app may no longer be supported in the Windows Phone Runtime 8.1 app. So in my mind, we can implement a same feature by using the Windows Phone Silverlight 8.1 app or the Windows Phone Runtime 8.1 app. But by default we can not migrate the Windows Phone Silverlight 8.1 app to Windows Phone Runtime 8.1 app when they have difference API for the same feature.

For more information, please try to check the following article about the difference API between the Windows Phone Silverlight 8.1 app and Windows Phone Runtime 8.1 app:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/ff626516(v=vs.105).aspx .

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 6:46 AM
    Owner
  • On the business logic end a large part might be copy/paste - depending on wether you have used APIs in the Silverlight App that are available in the WinRT one as well (e.g. new Storage APIs instead of IsolatedStorage).

The UI has to be completely redone - the layouting engine has a different behavior and the majority of controls are not the same.

There is no tool to automate the process.

• Proposed as answer by Oliver Ulm Tuesday, October 28, 2014 12:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ajay_Maurya Thursday, October 30, 2014 5:40 AM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 7:45 AM

All replies

• Hi Ajay_Maurya,

Windows Phone Silverlight 8.1 app and Windows Phone Runtime 8.1 app are two types of apps for the Windows Phone 8.1.

Some feature or API which are supported in the Windows Phone Silverlight 8.1 app may no longer be supported in the Windows Phone Runtime 8.1 app. So in my mind, we can implement a same feature by using the Windows Phone Silverlight 8.1 app or the Windows Phone Runtime 8.1 app. But by default we can not migrate the Windows Phone Silverlight 8.1 app to Windows Phone Runtime 8.1 app when they have difference API for the same feature.

For more information, please try to check the following article about the difference API between the Windows Phone Silverlight 8.1 app and Windows Phone Runtime 8.1 app:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/ff626516(v=vs.105).aspx .

Best Regards,
    Amy Peng

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 6:46 AM
    Owner
  • On the business logic end a large part might be copy/paste - depending on wether you have used APIs in the Silverlight App that are available in the WinRT one as well (e.g. new Storage APIs instead of IsolatedStorage).

The UI has to be completely redone - the layouting engine has a different behavior and the majority of controls are not the same.

There is no tool to automate the process.

• Proposed as answer by Oliver Ulm Tuesday, October 28, 2014 12:16 PM
    • Marked as answer by Ajay_Maurya Thursday, October 30, 2014 5:40 AM
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 7:45 AM
  • Thanks Amy for your input. From this I am understanding that I have to rewrite the while UI project and implement the features in different way.

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 11:41 AM
  • Hi Oliver

Here the way this project is developed there is hardly any common API used so I think I need to re write the whole UI code again and need to achieve the functionalities in different way.

Thanks a lot for your input.

Regards

Ajay M

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 11:46 AM
  • Please try to mark it as answer.
    Tuesday, October 28, 2014 12:01 PM