none
How to make DesktopAppConverter create a correct identity name RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I have a developer account at partner.microsoft.com, and a "Windows publisher ID". I am using DesktopAppConverter to create an .appx file to upload, i.e. make a submission for publishing a windows store app.

But I get the following error message:

Invalid package identity name: HappyTestApp (expected: 12345my-company-name-here.HappyTestApp)

I am using the following command:

DesktopAppConverter 
    -Installer C:\Users\my_acc\source\repos\HappyTestApp\HappyTestApp\bin\x86\Release\ 
    -AppExecutable HappyTestApp.exe 
    -Destination C:\Users\my_acc\source\repos\HappyTestApp\temp 
    -PackageName "HappyTestApp" 
    -Publisher "CN=E123456-1234-1234-ABCD-F123456789" 
    -PackagePublisherDisplayName "my-company-name-here" 
    -Version 1.0.0.0 
    -Makeappx -Verbose -Sign -Verify

What am I doing wrong?!

• Edited by Jon 76 Monday, May 13, 2019 11:50 PM
    Monday, May 13, 2019 11:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Jon76,

Could you unzip your package and check the Name item in Identity Property? Is it named 'HappyTestApp' ? To upload the package to the Store, you need to set it to the same value as the Package/Identity/Name in Identity details Page in Dashboard. Could could modify it and package it manually to publish it again?

Best regards

Daisy  Tian

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 6:27 AM
  • Hi Daisy,

I unzipped the HappyTestApp.appx, and opened the AppxManifest.xml file, found the Identity, and the name is "HappyTestApp". 

When I go to partner.microsoft.com and find the "Product Identity" page for HappyTestApp, its Package/Identity/Name is set to "12345my_company_name.HappyTestApp". (I have changed the number and company name for this post)

I followed your guide for creating the package manually, and created the AppxManifest.xml file manually and changed the Identity.Name field to "12345my_company_name.HappyTestApp".

After some struggling I got to the point of running the makeappx.exe, but it complains with the following errors:

MakeAppx : error: Package creation failed.

MakeAppx : error: 0x80080204 - The specified package format is not valid: The package manifest is not valid.

What could be wrong? I did some googling about the last error, someone pointed out it could be that the package name differs from what is given in the application. Not sure what that means..

As an answer to your question "Could could modify it and package it manually to publish it again?" I guess my answer is no. Why can I not use the DesktopAppConverter? 
    • Edited by Jon 76 Tuesday, May 14, 2019 11:26 AM
    Tuesday, May 14, 2019 11:25 AM
  • Hi Jon76,

After you unzip the appx, the images in the Assets folder is default images, right? I usually package the app with DAC first, and then unzip it, so that I can get some of the files( resources.pri, appxmanifest.xml ... ) or folder (Assets) I need to package, and then I just modify some of those files and package them with makeappx. Here is my command:

makeappx pack -d "C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\manual\TestDemo" -p "C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\manual\Converted\AppName.appx" 

Best regards

Daisy  Tian

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 6:42 AM