none
Has anyone found a solution for the kinectv2 repeatedly disconnecting on windows 10? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm sorry if it is not proper to put this in a new thread. I tried replying to an existing thread, but it seems to be broken as it only made the page refresh. Maybe I am not understanding how it works.

I've just had to reinstall windows and now my kinect has the 'repeating disconnection problem', where it will work, but only for a couple seconds before disconnecting and then connecting again, every few seconds forever.

I have tried all of the solutions people here have posted but nothing has fixed the issue. (Including removing/reinstalling the runtime, and also the SDK, updating the kinect driver in device manager, re-enabling the KV2 mic, and setting the mic to 0.)

The only thing that I cannot confirm does not solve the issue is entering "reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Processor /v Capabilities /t REG_DWORD /d 0x7e060" into cmd prompt and then rebooting. When I tried this, it said access is denied. Someone asked in that thread, 'what if it tells me access is denied?', but it got ignored by everyone else, so if anyone can tell me how to complete that, please explain.

So, has anyone found a fix to make the kinect work on windows 10 yet? Or, is that just not a thing that is going to happen in the foreseeable future?

The real frustrating thing about this for me is that it was WORKING JUST FINE before I reinstalled windows. I installed NI-mate (to use the kinect for motion capture with blender), which broke my USB drivers, hence having to reinstall windows, and now the kinect doesn't work on this fresh and fully up-to-date OS. It would mean a lot to me if somebody has a solution for this so I can finally get back to work.

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 2:32 PM

All replies

• CivilSavant -

Can you check the following for me:

1. Driver version:  Open device manager, right click on WDF KinectSensor Interface 0 -> properties, select the driver tab, and report the # given for "Driver Version".
    2. Runtime version:  Open the settings app -> Apps, find the app labeled "Kinect for Windows Runtime v2.x_xxxx", and report the actual version number.

Thanks.

Bryan

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 8:07 PM
  • brythi, thank you for responding.

The driver version is "2.2.1811.10000" and the runtime app version is "v2.2_1811".

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:01 AM
  • When you say repeatedly disconnect, do you mean:

1.  It is repeatedly de-enumerating/enumerating (i.e. if you look in device manager Device Manager, you see the device list refresh when this happens, and hear the enumeration/de-enumeration chimes)

or

2.  The camera stream just stops working every few seconds, but the Kinect device remains enumerated

Bryan

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 6:28 PM
  • When I run the kinect configuration verifier, kinect studio, or any of the features in the SDK browser, it will work for a moment, then stop for a moment, during which time the lights on the sensor will turn off, then it will turn back on and I get the message,

"Kinect
    Select to choose what happens with this device."

Seeming that Windows is reacting to the device being re-connected. When the device manager is open during this, it does refresh (or, it blinks, which I assume is a refresh) with each time the disconnect happens.

When the kinect configuaiton verifier is open, it flips back and forth between the green check mark (sensor is connected) and the red "(X)" (sensor is not connected). During the disconnected time, yes, the stream from the sensor stops, but it appears to work properly during the connected time (for only a couple seconds each time).

I don't think the sensor is defective, because as I explained, it worked with no problem before I reinstalled windows. My impression is that this is a software-side problem.

• Edited by CivilSavant Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:12 PM
    Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:08 PM
  • If you haven't already, try completely disconnecting the sensor and K4W adapter from the PC and power -- i.e. unplug both the USB connection and the AC adapter and then reconnect.
    Wednesday, August 14, 2019 8:46 PM
  • I unplugged the whole thing, disconnected the adapter/power/usb and left it that way for a while, in case there is an internal power supply that needs to drain/reset (I noticed the adapter light stays on even after unplugged). I have it now all plugged back together and connected, but it continues to do the same thing as before.

Also, I noticed the light on the adapter is color-coded. It turns yellow when the USB plug is removed from the PC, and white when it is plugged in. I don't know if this is helpful. But, the color of the light doesn't change when the kinect is doing its repeating disconnects, it stays a steady white.

• Edited by CivilSavant Thursday, August 15, 2019 3:43 PM
    Thursday, August 15, 2019 3:36 PM
  • If you don't mind sharing, what make/model of PC is this on?

Thanks.

Bryan

Thursday, August 22, 2019 2:44 AM
  • This is a Dell XPS. It has the i7-8700 processor and 16g of memory.
    The graphics support is an NVIDIA GTX 1050 Ti.

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 7:20 PM
  • CivilSavant -

Can you try the fix in this thread again:  https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7a9f139d-85fe-4e68-9ad2-5456f8e1f173/kinect-v2-disconnects-and-reconnects-on-recent-intel-chips-solution?forum=kinectv2sdk

I just noticed your comment about getting an "access denied" error - make sure you're running the command prompt "as administrator".

Bryan

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 7:36 PM
  • When using Command Prompt (Admin) to enter the command, it said 'The process completed successfully.' But after a reboot and tried the Kinect again, the problem hasn't changed. It's still turning off/disconnecting/resetting every few seconds.

I checked my USB 3 drives and controllers in device manager again just to make sure, and they all say there are no updates. I also tried disabling/enabling the Kinect microphone again, which has had no effect.

Thank you for trying to figure this out with me for so long. I've also found this other thread that seems to have more people experiencing the same (or similar) problem:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bcd775ef-64b0-4e94-8d26-ce297d6d60ea/kinect-v2-keeps-disconnecting-after-every-10-seconds-on-windows-10-1903?forum=kinectv2sdk

Apparently windows 1903 has made the Kinect stop working on many systems. If we can't find a simple resolution for it, maybe the Kinect/K4W dev teams need to research it and create a proper fix?

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 6:39 PM
  • CivilSavant -

Can you open Task Manager -> Details tab, and check the following:

1.  There are exactly one instance of both KinectMonitor.exe and KinectService.exe running.

2.  What user is KinectService.exe running as?

3.  Is KinectService.exe restarting periodically (i.e. at about the same frequency as you see the Kinect disconnect/reconnect)

4.  For both KinectMonitor and KinectService, "Right Click" -> "Properties" -> "Details" Tab, and verify that the "File Version" is 2.2.1905.16000.

Thanks for bearing with me on this while we try to understand the issues people are seeing after updating.

Bryan

Wednesday, August 28, 2019 10:17 PM
  • Bryan, I think we might be getting somewhere now!

When I check the properties/details tab, my file version actually says 2.2.1811.10000 on both programs. Maybe here is my problem? I downloaded the Kinect software installer from the microsoft website. If I need to get the correct 'file version', how do I do that?

I notice also that under "UAC Virtualization" (column at the far right in task manager), KinectService.exe says "Disabled". (I don't know if that matters...)

As for your other instructions:

There are only one each of KinectMonitor.exe and KinectService.exe running.

KinectService.exe is running under the user "SYSTEM", but KinectMonitor.exe is running under my user profile name (not SYSTEM). I am the only user of this machine, so mine is the only user profile.

KinectService.exe does not appear to be restarting periodically. It's memory usage changes from about 119,076k to about 140,000k when attempting to use the kinect, and it goes back and forth as the kinect disconnects/reconnects, but the KinectService.exe itself seems to be running continuously.

Thursday, August 29, 2019 7:19 PM
  • Civil, i'm in the exact same boat as you!

Only difference is my version, which is still under 2.2.1905.16000

Tuesday, September 3, 2019 9:08 AM
  • My sensor is working now!

I installed yesterday's windows updates today and now my Kinect seems to be functioning properly. I Don't necessarily know that the updates are involved with this, but for anyone else experiencing the problem I had, check for new updates, and then see if it is fixed.

If indeed the updates included a fix for the sensor problem, THANK YOU MS devs for fixing it!

• Edited by CivilSavant Wednesday, September 11, 2019 9:43 PM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2019 9:42 PM
  • CivilSavant -

I mixed up my versions.  2.2.1811.10000 is what you should expect for those items given the driver/runtime version you indicated in a previous post.

Can you try the solution suggested here by ABHelper and see if that resolves the issue:  https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bcd775ef-64b0-4e94-8d26-ce297d6d60ea/kinect-v2-keeps-disconnecting-after-every-10-seconds-on-windows-10-1903?forum=kinectv2sdk

Bryan

Thursday, September 26, 2019 6:47 AM
  • For anyone experiencing the repeated disconnect problem after updating to 1903, please check under Settings->Privacy->Microphone->Scroll all the way to the bottom of the panel->Ensure that desktop apps are allowed access to your microphone (you should see KinectService.exe in the list of apps under this setting).

Please let me know if this resolves the issue or not.

Thanks.

Bryan

Thursday, September 26, 2019 6:51 AM
  • brythi -
    I've followed this thread and got exactly the same problem as CivilSavant
    Now the only problem is There is no 
    KinectService.exe in Settings->Privacy->Microphone>desktop apps list.
    What I've tried
    1. uninstall/reinstall  Kinect for windows Runtime v2.2_1811 and Kinect for Windows SDK v2.0_1409 in Setting>Apps
    2. in Task Manager>Details I have
    > KinectService.exe running under MyUsername
    > KinectMonitor.exe 
    running under SYSTEM
    both files are 
    2.2.1811.10000 and always running 

Is there a way to manually add KinectService.exe to the list?
    Any suggestion would be appreciated

• Edited by nadol1 Thursday, October 3, 2019 4:35 PM
    Thursday, October 3, 2019 4:33 PM