The following forum(s) are migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!

Ask new questions on Microsoft Q&A (Preview).
Interact with existing posts until December 13, 2019, after which content will be closed to all new and existing posts.

Learn More

none
[UWP] Is default language always available? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to support multiple language in my app and use the Multilingual App Toolkit for that. It generates translations but I cannot check the quality of those translations. If I check the translation from English to my own language, it is quit poor. So if they don't like the translations, I want to have the ability for users to have the option to set the language of the app to the default app language (which is English). I can do that by setting ApplicationLanguages.PrimaryLanguageOverride. To set this property I have to first check if the default language is available in ApplicationLanguages.ManifestLanguages.

From the documentation I understand that the default language resources are include in the app package, and the user's language as a separate language resource pack. Can I therefore assume that the default language is always available and do I have to check ApplicationLanguages.ManifestLanguages for the default language? Or do I have to use the proconfig.packaging.xml file to use the default language in the app?

Friday, May 25, 2018 8:11 AM

Answers

• Hi Ronald Eekelder,

>> My idea of resource packs is that language resources are separate from the main app package.

This is optional and is decided by developer. When you are creating the apppackage, you could choose if you need to generate app bundle. It means that it will cut your application into different parts to optimize the download. For languages, it will only download the resources file relevant to the language of the device.

You could refer @Amy’s answer for more information here: UWP: Resource file for languages is not deployed correctly

>> Do you mean that the default language resources are always in the main app package?

If you have the default language resources, like English, and it will always contains in the app package.

By the way, you could force to download all the language resources with the app. Please refer @Amy’s answer here for more information: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/Windowsserver/en-US/5676f497-0cbb-4168-9f1b-1c68add46330/uwpissue-with-localization-of-apps-when-using-app-bundle?forum=wpdevelop

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 8:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Ronald Eekelder,

As you are using the MAT, let’s say that you have created all the language source folder like Strings/xx-xx/Resources.resw following the first step from this document: Use the Multilingual App Toolkit 4.0.  Also you have added the resource tag for the default language in the manifest.  In this situation, you do not need to check the ApplicationLanguages.ManifestLanguages property. This property will always return the languages list that you included in the main app package manifest.

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 28, 2018 7:07 AM
  • My idea of resource packs is that language resources are separate from the main app package. Do you mean that the default language resources are always in the main app package?
    Monday, May 28, 2018 11:15 AM
  • Hi Ronald Eekelder,

>> My idea of resource packs is that language resources are separate from the main app package.

This is optional and is decided by developer. When you are creating the apppackage, you could choose if you need to generate app bundle. It means that it will cut your application into different parts to optimize the download. For languages, it will only download the resources file relevant to the language of the device.

You could refer @Amy’s answer for more information here: UWP: Resource file for languages is not deployed correctly

>> Do you mean that the default language resources are always in the main app package?

If you have the default language resources, like English, and it will always contains in the app package.

By the way, you could force to download all the language resources with the app. Please refer @Amy’s answer here for more information: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/Windowsserver/en-US/5676f497-0cbb-4168-9f1b-1c68add46330/uwpissue-with-localization-of-apps-when-using-app-bundle?forum=wpdevelop

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 8:39 AM