none
can i deploy non-metro style app into windows store? RRS feed

• Question

• windows store is exciting for me. i developed a stock analysis tool with native c++. can i publish my tool in windows store to make money? if so, how to do it?
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 2:16 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Please check http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh694083.aspx to learn certification requirements for Windows apps, especially on "3.1 Your app must use only APIs for Metro style apps".

Your app must also not link to, depend on, or otherwise make use of APIs or Windows OS services outside those described in the Metro style apps API reference.

Only certified metro style app can be listed in Windows Store till now.

Best wishes,

Robin [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Sword Knight Monday, December 26, 2011 1:20 AM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 3:02 AM
  • Can you clarify if this is a temporary limitation or not? We heard several times at the BUILD conference that both Metro style apps *and* Desktop apps could be published in the Windows Store. Does your response suggest that it just won't be technically supported at the Beta stage but will be later?
    Wednesday, January 4, 2012 8:35 PM
  • Hi Vaughn H,

At the Beta launch, the Windows Store will have Metro style apps. At general availability of Windows 8, the Store will also include listings for desktop apps that pass Windows 8 Desktop App Certification.  The sources and methods to acquire a desktop app are determined by the developer and happen outside of the Store experience. The desktop app developer provides a link in the app listing in the Store that takes the customer to the purchase or download location for those desktop apps.

Thanks.

- Ramiel

eCommerce Escalation Team | Consumer Software & Services Support (CS3)
    Monday, January 9, 2012 3:57 PM
  • There are 661 views to this issue so it is important to a lot of people.

Like Vaughn, I have a specific simple business app that is suitable for desktop/laptop only.

Will Windows 8 apps be backward compatible to Windows 7 etc.?

The reply to Vaughn indicates that an app listed on the store much conform to Windows 8 certification by can only be purchased through an outside 3rd party commerce site.

Does anyone know of a 3rd party commerce site that can process transactions for these apps?

Does anyone know of a 3rd party commerce site that can process the sale and distribution of apps that run on Windows 7 for PC only?

Thursday, January 19, 2012 3:53 PM
  • Hi, Robin,

If the App is designed using only Metro style certified api's will a simple business app that also meets the requirements you state above will the app still work on Microsoft 7 and earlier? This is for desktop/laptop only use.

Please note the number of forum views that relate to this question.

Thank you

Scott mcCoy
    Friday, January 20, 2012 5:17 PM
  • Hi Scott,

Could you please clarify your question?  Are you asking if your Metro style app will work on Windows 7? 

Thanks,

Dawn

Thursday, March 1, 2012 8:15 PM
  • Hi,

I know I'm not related here, but I have similar doubts. Do Metro apps work in Windows 7, and can you publish non-metro apps on the microsoft store?

Thanks,

Rahul

Monday, October 29, 2012 11:36 AM
  • Windows Store apps rely on Windows Runtime and should work on Windows 8. Desktop apps (non-metro apps) can be published into Store in case it passes  specific certification process.

Best wishes,

Robin [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 2:10 AM
  • Hi Robin,

Thanks. Do you mean if my application is developed using metro apis but it is not followinf Exact styleguide provided by Microsoft and it is customised in such a way that can be accepted by other App Stores also so will microsoft accept such applications.

my Applications passes through all your App certification kit does that mean my app is complying to microsofts requirements technically.

i want to have more visibility on this i have already posted same question in forum but you guys are being too diplomatic in responding to question and just providing a link that has something as a guideline and something as a requirements.

When you people want us to adhere your guideline thne why dont you make it a requirements only and make picture more clear to your developer..

i dont see microsoft and your support executives are being fair to your developers by providing such diplomatic answers. if you want to expand your store you only have to clear doubts in the mind of developer. and i know its not only in the favour of microsoft it has to be mutual. so i want some clear answer on this thread.

As plutis has mentioned almost 667 developers has viewed to this thread so it is very much imp to all the users.

i hope this will be taken in a right spirit and you people will be more clearer.

• Edited by abhiamehta Thursday, March 13, 2014 5:17 PM
    Thursday, March 13, 2014 5:17 PM