none
Windows Phone Online Media Extension RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently extending my application so that it appears in the photo hub (as per example - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/dn642079%28v=vs.105%29.aspx) and I have a few questions that wasn't covered in the sample.

1) Is there a time limit on how long the background task can take when downloading album information (like period tasks)?

2) When downloading album information, does it count towards my applications memory usage?

3) Does the OS handle how long downloaded information should be cached within the photo hub or is my scheduled task expected to do this?

Thanks for the responses,

Dave

Friday, May 30, 2014 1:27 PM

All replies

• Hello,

1) Your background task can be interrupted for many reasons. You should make sure your task is capable of being interrupted and restarting the download process. Images that are not fully downloaded may be discarded. You should sync the local and cloud album each time.

2) This question is a bit vague. I'm not sure what you mean by "album information". Can you please clarify?

3) This is actually a really interesting question. We don't seem to publish any information concerning how long an album will remain on the local device. Since we don't give any guidance here I would recommend that you make sure the album is in sync. This say if we do delete the album cache you can simply get the images again. If we don't delete the images then you will not have to refetch the images. either way making sure the album is up to date is your best bet.

I hope this helps,

James

Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Saturday, May 31, 2014 12:37 AM
    Owner
  • Hi James, thanks for your answers.

In regards to question 2, what I was really referring to was the retrieved images (both thumbnails and full size images). Do these images count towards my applications storage usage or are these covered under another category (e.g. the infamous "other" category)?

Thanks,

Dave

Saturday, May 31, 2014 5:46 AM