How can we read Appointments in calendar? RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to make a metro style application which uses appointments in calendar. I was not able to find the API to read the appointments. Is this supported in Windows 8? If yes the how can I use appointments?

Tekriti Software

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:11 PM

Answers

• I dont think you can access the appointments, since it is just another app on winrt. Best thing you can do (if we are talking about a live calendar), is to use the Live Sdk to get the events.

Can Bilgin
    Blog CompuSight

• Marked as answer by Min ZhuMember Wednesday, October 3, 2012 9:14 AM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:24 PM

All replies

• there is no API in Windows 8 for that. You need to talk against the server, like the exchange webservices, depending where you save them
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:22 PM
  • I dont think you can access the appointments, since it is just another app on winrt. Best thing you can do (if we are talking about a live calendar), is to use the Live Sdk to get the events.

Can Bilgin
    Blog CompuSight

• Marked as answer by Min ZhuMember Wednesday, October 3, 2012 9:14 AM
    Wednesday, September 19, 2012 1:24 PM
  • In Windows 8.1 you can use the new Appointment APIs to add, remove or replace appointments in the user's preinstalled calendar app.

Sample: http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Appointments-API-sample-2b55c76e

Nick Eubanks (MSFT)

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 4:59 AM
  • this sample didn't add appointment throw properties to calender  

Dreamlight

Thursday, November 21, 2013 10:20 AM
  • Under WIndows 8.1 appointments can be created and replaced. However, you must know the LocalID of an existing appointment. There is no method to enumerate all existing appointments of a calendar like in Windows Phone 8.1. I wonder when this method will be available. Until then the Appoitnment class is more or less useless.

krasscheck

• Edited by pommain Friday, June 20, 2014 4:10 AM
    • Proposed as answer by HannesBiri Thursday, August 14, 2014 8:13 AM
    Thursday, June 19, 2014 3:21 PM
  • Hi,

in Windows Phone 8.1 I can use the 'AppointmentManager' class to read all appointments from all calendars that are configured on the windows phone, for example to show them on a live tile.

This class is available in Windows 8.1 too BUT the "RequestStoreAsync" method is not in windows 8.1 :(

This very simple code works in WP 8.1 but it does not on Windows 8.1:

await AppointmentManager.RequestStoreAsync(AppointmentStoreAccessType.AllCalendarsReadOnly);

Can someone (from MS) explain WHY?

This makes it nearly impossible to write a very simple app that shows appointments on a live tile.

best regards,
    Hannes

Monday, August 11, 2014 8:34 PM