none
Deleting reserved app name

Question

• Hi,

I followed the process of renaming the app as specified in the link https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/publish/manage-app-names#rename-an-app-that-has-already-been-published.

The name change has been reflected in the store as well but the previous name that I have reserved is still currently used and I cannot delete the name because it shows 'currently in use'. Can somebody tell me what am I missing?

Monday, December 3, 2018 4:57 PM

All replies

• I changed the name of my app from X to Y as per the link https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/publish/manage-app-names#rename-an-app-that-has-already-been-published.

The name change has been reflected in the windows store. So, The name X should be free and can be deleted. But I am not able to do so and it still shows the name X is currently in use as well as the name Y.  I need the name X so that I can use it for my next app. How can I delete the previous name? Can somebody tell me what step I have missed?

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 2:51 PM
  • Hi creator_of,

Sorry for the delay reply.Did you delete the old package when you upload the new package? Did you update the store listing for the new name before you submitted your app to the Store?Because you didn't provide your steps in detail, I couldn't analyze which on your are missing. I will list the normal operation steps for your as shown below:

Step 1: Reserve a new name
       Step 2: Update your App Package
       Step 3: Create a new submission
       Step 4: Upload the new package.
       Step 5: Delete old packages
       Step 6: Update Store listing page
       Step 7: Submit to the store:
       Step 8: Delete the older name

You could refer to this blog(Rename A Published App) for details on each step.

Best regards

Daisy  Tian

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 2:09 AM
  • I have followed every step but step 5. Don't the old packages get deleted automatically after I upload and save the new app packages?
    • Edited by creator_of Wednesday, December 5, 2018 3:11 AM
    Wednesday, December 5, 2018 3:06 AM
  • Hi creator_of,

>Don't the old packages get deleted automatically after I upload and save the new app packages?

No, Store will not delete the old packages after you upload the new one.So could you delete the old packages which use the old name to try again?

Best regards

Daisy  Tian 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 5, 2018 5:01 AM
  • Then, Do I need to open a new submission to delete the old ones or I can do without it? If a new submission is not required then from where can I delete the old app packages. By old, it will probably be before two submissions back as I had to re-release the package as I had forgotten to update the store listing page.

FYI: I tried a new submission and followed every procedure up to 4. Then I clicked on the packages for new submission to delete the old packages but I can only see the two new packages I just uploaded. So no previous packages were present. The same thing had happened when I had submitted the package for changing the name as well.

• Edited by creator_of Wednesday, December 5, 2018 9:33 AM
    Wednesday, December 5, 2018 8:29 AM
  • Hi creator_of,

>Do I need to open a new submission to delete the old ones or I can do without it?

Yes, you need to open a new submission to delete the old package which uses the old app name.Please update your store listing with the new app name before you submit your app to the Store.

>no previous packages were present.

If Microsoft detects that one or more of your packages is redundant, they'll display a warning suggesting that you remove the redundant packages from this submission. When you first uploaded the app to change the name, did you delete the old package?

As you said, your error may be caused by not updating the store listing. If you couldn't remember exactly what you did, could  you follow the steps above to re-publish the app?

Best regards

Daisy  Tian

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, December 6, 2018 7:20 AM
  • After some long research I think I found the root of the problem. I can still find my app on windows 8.1 store with the previous name as windows 10 is the new standard I only uploaded for windows 10. Now, when I tried to re-upload the 8.1 apps I can no longer do it, as it says "New product submissions can't include packages targeting Windows 8.x and earlier.". The packages have already been deleted.  Do you have any work around for this?

• Edited by creator_of Thursday, December 6, 2018 9:04 AM
    Thursday, December 6, 2018 8:47 AM
  • Hi creator_of,

As of October 31, 2018, newly-created products cannot include packages targeting Windows 8.x/Windows Phone 8.x or earlier. For more details , you could refer to this blog.

Could you make a support ticket to ask the team for help directly?Please click 'Contact us', select 'dashboard issue' as support issue and proper issue type to 'submit an incident'.

Best regards

Daisy  Tian

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, December 6, 2018 9:41 AM