The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

none
Windows Phone 8 Apps, Windows 8 Apps and Windows RT Apps RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am going to develop Windows 8 ,windows phone 8 and Windows RT apps.So that Windows 8 ,windows phone 8 and Windows RT apps programming code will differ or same programming code. My doubt is if i develop any of one above the same code we will use other two.  

My thought is programming code not differ only UI design differ.I have dilemma in this point.

Please anyone confirm it my doubt.

• Edited by Anuss Tuesday, November 6, 2012 7:57 AM
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 7:55 AM

All replies

• There was a good session at the BUILD conference last week on sharing code between platforms:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2012/3-004

Richard Woo
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 8:18 AM
  • Windows 8 and Windows RT is the same, just targeting a different platform.  With .NET you can actually build for Any CPU and the same appx will work on Windows 8 and Windows RT.

Windows Phone 8 shares many of the same APIs, but you will need to install the separate Windows Phone 8 SDK and create separate project files.  You could share many of the same source files, but there will be some differences.

Windows Phone 8 cannot use XAML from C++ like Windows 8 can.  Windows Phone 8 does not support HTML5/JS as a first-class app development environment as Windows 8 does.  Windows Phone 8 only supports XAML from C#/VB.

All things you need to keep in mind when planning this.

• Proposed as answer by AgusDobleA Friday, November 23, 2012 9:02 AM
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 11:52 AM