The following forum(s) are migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!

Ask new questions on Microsoft Q&A (Preview).
Interact with existing posts until December 13, 2019, after which content will be closed to all new and existing posts.

Learn More

none
Side-loaded UWP app and Surface Hub compatibility RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there :)

I have a side-loaded Win 10 UWP app, targetting version 1803 of Windows that I'd like to potentially deploy on a Surface Hub.
    As far as I've read from the documentation (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/surface-hub/install-apps-on-surface-hub), the app must be on the Store for Business, it can't just be "downloaded" and installed via AppInstaller like on Surface Pros / Studios / PCs.
    Therefore I have a few questions (first one I really couldn't find anything on the Microsoft site) :
    1. If the app is targetting 1803, what version of Windows should the Surface Hub have? (I see that 1703 is the latest version)
    2. If our policy is to deploy the app via side-loading for every other device (as we have a download button on our website), how could we proceed to also support Surface Hubs? Would we need to register the app on the Windows Store (and if so, could we make it available to only Store for Business and not the public Windows Store?). To elaborate, our app can only be used in large organisations and the accounts are created by IT teams, so regular consumers could never use the app as it is from the Windows Store.

Thank you kindly.

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 11:24 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Yes, I'm afraid that your app might not support running on the Surface Hub(1703) if you keep the min version higher that 1703. If the Surface Hub 2S is a higher build that meets the min version of your project, then you could run it in Surface Hub 2S.

Best regards,

Roy

"Developing Universal Windows apps" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Developing Universal Windows apps" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

• Marked as answer by Stefan Gav Friday, November 15, 2019 3:27 PM
    Friday, November 15, 2019 1:31 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>>If the app is targetting 1803, what version of Windows should the Surface Hub have? (I see that 1703 is the latest version)

If the Surface hub's version is 1703, please make sure the min version of your app is 1703 or lower when you try to run it in Surface Hub. Please note that you might need to use ApiInformation.IsApiContractPresent Method to check if some APIs(introduced in a later version) is available in 1703.

>>If our policy is to deploy the app via side-loading for every other device (as we have a download button on our website), how could we proceed to also support Surface Hubs?

As you've seen in the document: Install apps on your Microsoft Surface Hub, 'Surface Hub only supports offline-licensed apps from Microsoft Store for Business.', the only way is to submit your app to the Microsoft Store for Business.

>>Would we need to register the app on the Windows Store (and if so, could we make it available to only Store for Business and not the public Windows Store?). 

Yes, you will need to submit your app to the store first. Then in the submission options -Pricing and availability, under Visibility there is a Combobox. Just select Retail distributionLine-of-business (LOB) distribution. If your app is available in Store for Business, it won't show in the public store unless you submit another version.

For more information, please refer to Submit LOB apps.

Besides, We invite you to post new questions in the "Developing Universal Windows apps" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    Best regards,

Roy

"Developing Universal Windows apps" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Developing Universal Windows apps" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 2:06 AM
  • Hi Roy,

Thank you kindly for answering. There is no way I can lower the app version at this time - since Surface Hub 2S is coming out now, is it fair to assume that my app can never run on Surface Hub, but only on Surface Hub 2S?

Thank you for the new link as well, I shall bookmark it and use it from now on !

Warmest regards,

Stefan

• Edited by Stefan Gav Thursday, November 14, 2019 2:22 PM
    Thursday, November 14, 2019 2:14 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, I'm afraid that your app might not support running on the Surface Hub(1703) if you keep the min version higher that 1703. If the Surface Hub 2S is a higher build that meets the min version of your project, then you could run it in Surface Hub 2S.

Best regards,

Roy

• Marked as answer by Stefan Gav Friday, November 15, 2019 3:27 PM
    Friday, November 15, 2019 1:31 AM