none
[UWP] [Desktop Bridge] publishing in the Windows Store RRS feed

• Question

• With the hope of offering Zoom Player for sale through the windows store and possibly on the XBOX One, we converted Zoom Player (http://zoomplayer.com) to the AppX model using Desktop Bridge.

We used the form to request publishing on the store, but so far no reply.

I have two questions:

1. When will the store start accepting desktop bridge applications?
    2. When will the XBOX One's store accept desktop bridge applications?

Tuesday, September 13, 2016 10:21 AM

Answers

• Hi Inmatrix, I do understand your scenario. However, you do not need to find the WinRT equivalent of an existing Win32 API if the Win32 API is already a part of the UWP and is implemented by all Windows 10 devices. When moving (your project) to UWP, you will have to design your UI using UWP XAML but if the business logic uses Win32 APIs, then please check if that API is already a part of the UWP family of Win32 APIs. For example, winsock APIs are already a part of UWP Win32 APIs.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/mt592904.aspx

Which Win32 API's are you using in your existing desktop app which is not yet Universal device family of APIs? I think that will be key to understand whether your app can be ported to be a true UWP or not.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 12:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Inmatrix,

First please make sure that the form you filled is the the same as showed in this link.

You also need to check the following as the link says:

Please note that you need to be the developer and/or publisher of the app or game to bring it to the Windows Store. As such, make sure your name and e-mail address match with the website you submit as the URL below, so we can validate you are the developer and/or publisher.

Then you can click here to contact with our support team with your questions. Here, you can click “Submit an incident” on the right side of the page as the screenshot shows below.

Best Regards,

Neal Wang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 6:58 AM
  • We filed an incident and this is the reply we received:

---

We appreciate our developers and your contribution to the Microsoft app store.  I am happy to help provide answers and solutions whenever I can, currently the roll out of apps through Desktop Bridge is coordinated through the team that you have emailed.  This is an exciting new feature and I understand completely your desire to move forward, I apologize for any inconvenience this causes.  If you have any questions in the future, please feel free to contact us back. You can reach out to us at Developer Support and we will be happy to assist you further.

---

What about this article:
    http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/09/desktop-apps-make-their-way-into-the-windows-store/

It leaves us confused, is the next step just waiting? is there an estimated date when this process will become automated?

Thursday, September 15, 2016 9:04 AM
  • When did you submit the Campaign form? Is it the scenario that you have filled up the Campaign form, waited for a long time, haven't heard back, and are trying to directly submit your converted app to the Store (with the restricted capability)?

Regarding the XBOX One question you originally asked....apps converted using the desktop bridge will only run on the desktop - as long as it references the "classic desktop" desktop project/code.

In other words, just packaging your existing classic desktop app as an APPX, doesn't automatically make it qualified to run across all UWP form factors.

Once you complete the conversion process - of migrating your "classic desktop" code into a UWP project, at that time the app will run as a true UWP - and at that point, your app can run across UWP device families (including XBOX One).

See this link for further information on the "journey" of your app: https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2016/06/15/the-path-from-a-desktop-app-to-a-universal-windows-platform-uwp-app/#PzWkwV7xppsR0VBS.97. Your app (code) needs to be at Step 5 of that link for being able to run on an XBOX for example.

Friday, September 16, 2016 5:53 PM
  • Hi Prashant,

We submitted on September 11th.

My app will never be converted to native UWP code, it's been in development for over 15 years and has over 510,000 lines of code, conversion is impossible due to the cost and time involved.

It's also impossible for my App to target Windows RT style hardware as it uses very hardware specific x86 code throughout (which the XBOX One does supports).

It's a shame you won't allow desktop apps on the XBOX One, even with all the restrictions placed on the Desktop Bridge converted apps.

Sunday, September 18, 2016 10:26 AM
  • Hi Inmatrix, I do understand your scenario. However, you do not need to find the WinRT equivalent of an existing Win32 API if the Win32 API is already a part of the UWP and is implemented by all Windows 10 devices. When moving (your project) to UWP, you will have to design your UI using UWP XAML but if the business logic uses Win32 APIs, then please check if that API is already a part of the UWP family of Win32 APIs. For example, winsock APIs are already a part of UWP Win32 APIs.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/mt592904.aspx

Which Win32 API's are you using in your existing desktop app which is not yet Universal device family of APIs? I think that will be key to understand whether your app can be ported to be a true UWP or not.

Thursday, September 22, 2016 12:29 AM
  • Hi Prashant,

Our app is already converted to UWP,  it just wont use UWP native libraries as it's written in Delphi 7.

What I am wondering is how to get the converted UWP app into the Windows store...

So far submitting the form resulted in no reply or action on the side of microsoft and creating an incident report resulted in the reply listed above, leading us nowhere.

Friday, September 23, 2016 11:14 AM
  • Sorry to hear that. Let me check into your submission and I will get back to you.
    Monday, September 26, 2016 9:16 PM
  • Update: Checked into your submission, you should expect to hear from a representative soon!
    Tuesday, September 27, 2016 12:20 AM
  • Thank you Prashant!
    Tuesday, September 27, 2016 10:13 AM
  • Hi Inmatrix,

First please make sure that the form you filled is the the same as showed in this link.

You also need to check the following as the link says:

Please note that you need to be the developer and/or publisher of the app or game to bring it to the Windows Store. As such, make sure your name and e-mail address match with the website you submit as the URL below, so we can validate you are the developer and/or publisher.

Then you can click here to contact with our support team with your questions. Here, you can click “Submit an incident” on the right side of the page as the screenshot shows below.

Best Regards,

Neal Wang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Hi,

I was going to create my question when I noticed this discussion which is exactly on the same topic. Since it is only one month old, I hope it is not bad form to continue it.

I just submitted yesterday two converted apps.

I used my Microsoft account email, which happens not to be on CheckWriter-Printer.com where the apps are regularly sold. BTW I have several sites and it would be difficult to change my vendor's email every time.

I did mention in the notes that it was easy to see my name in the About box of the apps as the author.

Should I expect a problem ?

Also, is there an average review time like on other online stores ? If I don't hear from you guys about the submitted apps, is there any way to inquire what has happened ?

Thank you.

Michel Bujardet

http://CheckWriter-Printer.com

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 8:09 AM
  • Hello Mitch,

Before being able to submit your converted desktop app in the Store, you will need to go through the Desktop Bridge Sign up form which will let (let's say "alert") the Store accept your app with the restricted capability - rescap in the app manifest file. Without going through that process, if you try to submit your app to the Store, the Store will reject the app submission treating it as a regular UWP - for which the restricted capability is not allowed.

I noticed that Raiford is trying to contact you per this thread (based on the form you submitted): https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/e1774445-85fd-44c3-946c-1059dd35ea44/uwpdesktop-bridge-guidelines-for-submission-to-the-windows-store?forum=wpdevelop#e1774445-85fd-44c3-946c-1059dd35ea44, so I would advise that you work with him to getting your converted app in the Store.

If you have any questions, please contact me at: pphadke-msft at outlook dot com.

Thanks,

Prashant

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 3:53 PM