none
Issues with purchasing and restoring (especially on windows 10) RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having an issue with my universal (8.1) app (Cover : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/apps/cover/9wzdncrfj9w7) and more accurately the in-app purchase that should transfer across all devices. That should be done automatically, however we also have a button in the app settings to "force restore purchase" if it's not detected. This button simply checks CurrentApp.GetAppReceiptAsync() and purchases again the products returned but this method. Then the Store realizes that the user already has this, and unlocks it without charging the user.

This has been working in production for two years. Some users had issue but it was mild.

Recenlty (since first public versions of W10), A LOT of users are complaining that they have purchased the app on W8.1, and can't restore anymore on windows 10. Similarly, some users that purchase on windows 10 aren't able to restore on their 8.1 phone. Also, some users can't purchase at all. The code hasn't changed, and seems still correct because many users have restored their purchase successfully, and the ones that have issues tell us that it suddenly worked for no apparent reason.

I've checked with other developers from the windev Slack chat, and some told me they had the exact same issue. The link app/store seems very unreliable since w10 released.

So i have two questions :

- There has been zero communication from Microsoft about this. Do you have any knowledge of this issue ? Maybe i didn't look at the right place. Where can we find some information and followup about this ?

- Right now we don't really know what to tell users that report this to us, since the issue doesn't seem to be on our side. We just tell them to check the Store app account they're logged in with, and retry a few hours/days later, and contact Microsoft because they process all in-app purchase stuff. Sometimes they reply it worked, sometimes it didn't, sometimes we lose a customer. What can we tell them to try and do ?

Thanks for any answer, and if it's not the right place to report/ask this, please tell me where i should.

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 9:21 AM

All replies

• We encounter the exact same problem (TeacherStudio, it's only available in Germany yet). It drives our customers into a frenzy and rightly so.

Microsoft told us several times via support ticket that it's not our fault and we should tell the customers to contact support. This doesn't help in the least. All they do is refunding the purchase, the customer buys again and has the same problem.

Cover is a great app by the way.

(I'm not familiar with the Slack chat for Windows Developers you mention, would you care to elaborate?)

Thursday, September 17, 2015 6:07 PM
  • Thanks for the answer, and glad you like the app :)

Send me an email (cover at frenchfrysoftware dot com) and i'll tell you about the Slack thing.

I'm still expecting an officiel answer from MS, so i'll make sure this thread stays in the top of this forum until someone at MS gets interested.

If anyone else has issues with this, please add it to the thread. It will surely help.

Friday, September 18, 2015 11:27 AM
  • Hello Microsoft,

Still receiving emails complaining about this issue.

Please advise.

Monday, September 21, 2015 7:33 AM
  • Weekly bump, i still need some help.
    Monday, September 28, 2015 8:34 AM
  • Again, received complaints this week.

This is a very important issue. Please feel concerned.

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 9:09 AM
  • Hello All,

Please create a support request so we can determine what is happening with your apps and IAPs.

-Eric

Windows and Windows Phone Dev Center Support

Send us your feedback about the Windows Platform

Thursday, October 8, 2015 5:56 PM
  • Hi,

Already done (ticket #1307693468).

They advised us to ask our customers to contact MS support, which i said (and also wrote in the OP) that we already do. Then they replied exactly the same thing. I hope someone at MS can understand, that we can't forever (it's been 2 months) say to users that paid for our app "we don't know anything about it, please contact MS". Seems the support person doesn't at least.

Friday, October 9, 2015 8:13 AM
  • Hello

Do you have any news ? Have you been able to fix the issues yet ? Can you please share information with us developers ?

Besides waiting for other users to have issues to redirect them to the support (we, and other developers, already did so you must have a few cases to study), is there anything we can do to help solve this ?

Thanks.

Thursday, October 15, 2015 8:25 AM
  • Still no interest in this ?

It does seem to improve though, we haven't received any complaints in the last few days. Or maybe our users become as hopeless as us ?

If you do have information to share (like, you fixed something that may improve things), please do so that i won't have to up this thread indefinitely.

Monday, October 26, 2015 11:01 AM
  • Allow me to copy paste a review we've had a few days ago :

*Does not work.*​ (1/5)

Installed it and purchased "Unlock 250 books: Cover - Comic reader". I was charged for the price but never got it on this application. Called Microsoft and they said this is application developers who develops in a way that affects the purchase. I spent noticeable time with support but nothing happened. Completely fedup and gave up. I am back to Apple as I never had any issue there and my first purchase experience was a total lost. Would never try in future...

The interesting part is underlined.

Unless this person lies (i don't see why he would do that but it's still a possibility), then it seems MS support knows what we're doing wrong, and doesn't tell us. Even when we ask specifically for it. Or, Microsoft lies to the face of its customer.

In any case, if it's true, no wonder we get bad reviews and angry email.

Of course we did respect all msdn recommandations regarding in app purchases, and we're using the IAP the way they were designed to be, at least we think so. We're not stealing or lying to our users.

Maybe the user is right, and we should all go back to Apple.

Monday, November 16, 2015 10:38 AM
  • Funny because in our support tickets Microsoft told us the exact opposite and did not held us responsible but the customers device/setup/something. We don't have many support calls because of this in the moment but our app is very seasonal so I expect to drown in emails in the next school year and would be very happy if this could be resolved as soon as possible.

(The customer fleeing to Apple makes me cry, this absolutely should not happen :( )

Thursday, November 26, 2015 3:24 PM
  • What makes me cry is how no one cares about this at Microsoft :(
    Monday, November 30, 2015 10:31 AM