Windows Phone Registration Failing, ErrorCode 0x64

Question

• Few days ago Visual Studio notified me that my phone is not registered. Being developing for Windows Phone for more than one year this message have surprised me. I've run the Windows Phone Developer Registration tool to register it back but that turned out to be impossible. The tool is reporting a communication error with AppHub, "Please set the correct date and time on the phone, check the Internet connection and try again later." with ErrorCode = 0x64.

My setup & environment:
     - Regional settings - French (Switzerland), GMT + 1
     - Samsung Omnia 7
     - Windows Phone OS 7.1
     - Windows 7 SP1 Prof 64 bit
     - Visual Studio 2010 SP1 Prof
     - Windows Phone Tools & Zune
    Everything is up to date & is of latest version.

I've seen that lots of people had same problem. I've tried almost everything suggested to workaround this problem, even bizarre things. This includes:
     - Checking/synching time on phone and PC
     - Trying to register in different networks/network providers
     - Trying on other PCs
     - Installed Windows 7 x86 (as Virtual Machine)
     - Disabled WiFi on phone
     - Removed SIM card
     - Hitting "Retry" multiple times
     - Stopping every application that may use network access (Skype, sync software)
     - Removed Zune certificates
     - Deleted the device from registered devices in AppHub
     - Switched to another region (US) both phone and PC
    Any other things I probably forgot...

I still can't register my phone.

I've contacted Windows Phone Support, they came with suggestion to switch the time to 12H format and renew certificate in my device list. My regional settings are French (Switzerland) with 24H format. I've switched phone and PC to US region to get the 12H format, no luck. As for "renew certificate" I haven't understood where I should do that, asked Support for clarifications. Hope to get another response in 2-3 days.

I'm very sad to see that this problem is appearing regularly here in Discussions and there is no working solution for it.

Can anybody help with an idea of what else can be done to get my device registered?

Thanks,
    Valeriu

Thursday, January 12, 2012 1:35 PM

Answers

• * Stale or invalid host name entries can cause this problem...
       - Edit your system32\drivers\etc\hosts file and remove any entry referencing "developerservices.windowsphone.com". Then replug phone and try again.

That was my problem , now it's solve

Thanks

Thursday, June 06, 2013 10:17 AM

All replies

• That error message & ErrorCode indicates that your phone was unable to establish a connection to the developer web service portal.

Common causes for this error are:
    * Network Proxy that requires authentication.
    * Network proxy that uses redirect response.
    * Https packet inspection / Man in the Middle.
    * Device is unable to resolve address for web service portal.
    * Device fails to detect the correct proxy settings. 

Less common causes are:
    * Device or Desktop clock is significantly off from correct time. 
    * Unusually long network delays.
    * Incorrect network routing configuration on device.  (rare)
    * Desktop tools configuration has wrong URL for web service portal. 
    * Device configuration has wrong URL for web service portal. (usually only seen in Beta devices.)
    * Device configuration is missing root certificates for the web service portal. (usually only seen in Beta devices.)

If you disable WiFi and Radio on the device you may be able to use a network capture utility to see the TCP traffic that goes through your desktop.  The content will be encrypted but you may be able to see DNS Name resolution requests.

Thursday, January 12, 2012 11:53 PM
    Owner
  • Eric, that's a good checklist to go trough. Will do that over the weekend...

Thank you

PS. May I suggest to add it to the troubleshooting guide you have in this forum? This may be useful for somebody else...
    Friday, January 13, 2012 8:53 AM
  • I've tried to "sniff" the https traffic exchange using Fiddler2. I've got the traffic decoded and I can see what's sent and received.

The registration tool is making 2 calls, one to login.live.com and second is to api.marketplace.windowsmobile.com. Both calls are receiving a successfull responce, the HTTP/1.1 200 OK with some additional details.

There nothing wrong for me in those calls...

Will try next to sniff something at TCP level.
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 9:01 PM
  • I've tried to use Wireshark to capture traffic at TCP level but there is too much of it and it's hard to analyze without knowing what I should be looking for.

Eric, can you provide few more details about where should I be looking for to detect any network related problems?

Also, seeing that traffic in Fiddler with successfull responces, does that mean the local Registration Tool is taking decision to block registration process? May be that's the place to look for troubleshooting?
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 10:02 PM
  • After the conversation with api.marketplace.windowsphone.com,  you should see an HTTP/TLS connect and conversation with developerservices.windowsphone.com.  Assuming the phone is routing connections through your desktop connection... which it should be doing if WiFi and Cellular are disabled.

If ran any unlock tests prior to starting the capture then it's possible that the device is trying to use a cached connection.  In this case all you may see in the capture is a fragment of a seemingly unrelated TLS conversation immediately following the marketplace conversation.

does that mean the local Registration Tool is taking decision to block registration process?

No, ErrorCode 0x64 is only set if the device fails to connect to the developer [web] services after receiving a token from the registration tool.
      If the registration tool fails to get a token it shows a different error. 
    Monday, January 16, 2012 5:35 PM
    Owner
  • Did you solve your problem? I'm having THE SAME problem. I didn't do nothing, and i'm trying to run my app and the same problem.  How is this is even possible.
    Sunday, April 08, 2012 7:09 PM
  • Same problem for me :(

What about a problem in the Microsoft platform ?
    Sunday, April 08, 2012 9:47 PM
  • Are you able to browse to and view internet sites from your Windows Phone when it's connected to your PC / Zune software?

Can you provide more information regarding the PC and Network environment in which you're trying to register?

Does the network require a proxy server to access the internet?  (If so... how is the proxy configured?)
    Monday, April 09, 2012 1:47 PM
    Owner
  • No proxy, Internet on the phone works great, I'm on a PC wireless connection.
    It worked a few month ago, and now it just doesn't work anymore...

Some friends reset their phone and solved the problem but I don't want to lose data...
    Monday, April 09, 2012 5:15 PM
  • Does internet on the phone still work if you turn off the phone's cellular & wifi radios?  (...and connect to desktop USB.)
    Monday, April 09, 2012 6:05 PM
    Owner
  • I just had the same problem.. but, I was able to register before.. the problem started when I tried using the chevronwp7 to try to remove the side apps limit.. I clicked on Relock then when I tried to register again it gave me errorcode: 0x64....can someone pls help me fix this? I reseted my phone already because I thought it was the certificate causing the error..but, after the factory reset it won't register still.. HHHEEEELLLPPPP!!!
    Saturday, May 19, 2012 11:40 AM
  • If you use the old chevronWP7 tool then you will need to factory reset the phone to be able to unlock using the SDK tools.
    (Settings -> About -> "reset your phone")

[EDIT]
    sorry, I see that you already tried factory reset...

You could try removing the SIM and factory reset again, then try register the phone before re-inserting the SIM.
    ... You will need to manually set the date & time during the initial setup, after reset.

See the Phone Registration Tool Troubleshooting post for more suggestions.
    Monday, May 21, 2012 2:09 PM
    Owner
  • Hi, i'm in the same situation of climacs, after i used chrvronwp7 i have the error on phone registration. Is the trick of revome the sim usefull? Is there a guide to unistall ie certs? Because i think that the problem is there... I execute hard reset more time without resolve my problem. Sorry for my english.
    Friday, June 01, 2012 8:30 AM
  • Is there a guide to unistall ie certs?

There is no certificate uninstall tool...
    However, A factory reset, from the Settings->About dialog, removes all files and settings not stored in the OS/ROM image. (aka Firmware)
    ... so unless you used a tool that updated the firmware the device should not retain any previous data or settings.

Removing the SIM before factory reset may help if the problem is due to configuration settings in the SIM itself or changes pushed to the phone from the cellular network.  (OMA DM)

Note: don't forget to check the other causes of error 0x64... i.e. date & time settings, network packet sniffers (like Fiddler and Forefront TMG), web proxy requirements, etc...
    • Proposed as answer by Yukihyo Tuesday, June 03, 2014 4:22 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Yukihyo Tuesday, June 03, 2014 4:22 PM
    Friday, June 01, 2012 3:43 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Eric,
    I followed your suggestions and i resolved my problem. I did hard reset without sim and I repeated the registration. That's work for me! Thanks a lot!!!
    Friday, June 01, 2012 6:46 PM
  • Today I'v got the same problem (0x64) on Samsung Omnia 7. The time is correct. There is no proxy or https packet inspector in the middle. The Phone was unlocked for 2 years. Now it is locked again. I wont do a hard reset!
    Is there any other possibility to fix this?
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 8:12 PM
  • Any response from Microsoft would be good.
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:28 AM
  • I assume you already tried the "retry" button at least once... When using 64bit Windows OS the first attempt may fail with ErrorCode 0x64.

Have you tried registering from a different computer and/or location?

* If your phone has Internet Sharing capability then make sure it is turned off.
    * Close any instance of Skype or Fiddler running on your desktop.

* Stale or invalid host name entries can cause this problem...
       - Edit your system32\drivers\etc\hosts file and remove any entry referencing "developerservices.windowsphone.com". Then replug phone and try again.
       - Check your DNS resolver cache for old references to developerservices.windowsphone.com. (ipconfig /displaydns) 
          Try clearing old entries from DNS cache (ipconfig /flushdns)

* Network congestion delays or server load could also cause this problem...
       Check some of the "internet weather reports" and try registering at different times of the day.

* Make sure the "Zune Windows Mobile Connectivity Service" is running.

As a diagnostic step, you could capture a network trace on your desktop to see if the phone is attempting to connect to "developerservices.windowsphone.com:443" through the "Zune Windows Mobile Connectivity Service" (WMZuneComm.exe) ...which it should if configured correctly.

Thursday, July 12, 2012 3:24 PM
    Owner
  • ok, done. retry 10 times clicked. skype deinstalled. fiddler not running. hosts is ok. dns flushed. no problem with internet (on my side). zune windows mobile connectivity service is running. dump taken. where can I send it?
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:19 PM
  • As I can see it contacts first msnia.login.live.com and then api.marketplace.windowsmobile.com
    Thursday, July 12, 2012 7:37 PM
  • Tried on two other PCs. Same problem. The phone does not tries to contact developerservices....
    Friday, July 13, 2012 8:41 AM
  • Tried on two other PCs. Same problem. The phone does not tries to contact developerservices....
    Then the problem is probably with the networking configuration on the phone side.  This is set through SIM or Mobile Operator configuration scripts.
    Unfortunately there are no tools available for a user to view or modify the configuration.

The following manual steps have worked to resolve tools connection issues for some people... (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wptools/thread/67bb55ce-c687-4715-9889-2288f7ad0c68/)

Bluetooth off
    Wifi on
    Internet sharing on
    Internet sharing off
    Wifi off
    Location off

... but I don't know if it will work for your issue.
    Friday, July 13, 2012 5:49 PM
    Owner
  • It doesn't work. What else can I do?
    Friday, July 13, 2012 9:55 PM
  • Does developerservices.windowsphone.com responds to pings? If I ping it from my PC I get "request timed out", but if I use broweser to navigate to https://developerservices.windowsphone.com I get

Server Error

403 - Forbidden: Access is denied.

You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.

Saturday, July 14, 2012 9:06 AM
  • I have found a problem and solved it.
    I have used Interop_Unlock_by_Heathcliff74_v2 to enable interop. This hack sets the registry keys PortalUrlProd and PortalUrlInt to empty strings.
    Changing those to original values and rebooting the phone have solved the problem.
    Saturday, July 14, 2012 10:37 AM
  • I have found a problem and solved it.
    I have used Interop_Unlock_by_Heathcliff74_v2 to enable interop. This hack sets the registry keys PortalUrlProd and PortalUrlInt to empty strings.
    Changing those to original values and rebooting the phone have solved the problem.

How did you manage to reset to the default values?
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 5:36 PM
  • I hope it is ok to post links here. If no, moderators, please remove the links.
    I have downloaded "Interop Unlock by Heathcliff74 v2.xap" from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1271963
    Renamed xap to zip. There is a file ..\..\..\..\provxml\Heathcliff74 Interop Unlock.xml. That will set PortalUrlProd and PortalUrlInt to empty strings.
    You will have to edit and replace this file. Deploy it to the phone. Then use "diagnosis" app with *#9908#. Select "Heathcliff74 Interop Unlock" and tap save.
    Use Network Profile App from Samsung to fix the mobile data settings. Maybe you have to restart the phone before you will be able to register the phone with registration utility.
    This have worked with Samsung Omnia 7. 
    • Proposed as answer by Daniel Danilin Thursday, December 06, 2012 12:08 PM
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 6:17 PM
  • there is a very easy solution that helped for me:

Go to the "menu", select the app icon: "network profiles" (not sure if it exists for all of you --> OMNIA 7 here in my case) and move for example here in Germany from your existing networkprofile: "Vodafone" for me - to another one. "Eplus" in my case and switch it back again to your old one.

Now leave the menu and try registering process (the application on your Desktop and also Zune can stay activated the whole time. There is also no need for unplugging the device or restart the pc or the phone).

The problem occures due to connections problems on WP7 phones. Most of the problemcases there is no need to solve problems on your computer.

flyingiguana
    • Proposed as answer by simply_mandar Thursday, December 06, 2012 12:04 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by simply_mandar Thursday, December 06, 2012 12:04 PM
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 9:59 PM
  • Guys... Simple solution....

Just because it is a new phone I was using it without SIM..

When I inserted a SIM and did the registration.. it worked like a magic..

So insert a working SIM in to the Windows Phone before trying to register it.

• Proposed as answer by LNTTech Thursday, December 06, 2012 12:07 PM
    Thursday, December 06, 2012 12:07 PM
  • LOCATION OFF WAS THE SOLVER FOR ME

THX

DJaus Snr SW Dev (Embedded Systems and .NET)

Wednesday, December 26, 2012 3:57 AM
  • I set the time settings to Update Automatically and Wifi connected and it worked.
    • Proposed as answer by eralper Wednesday, March 20, 2013 9:21 PM
    Sunday, December 30, 2012 10:18 PM
  • I have the same problem, ErrorCode 0x64, please help me step by step how to do it ... i am new at this and i don't have a clue... upgraded to windows phone 7.8 Thanks
    Saturday, January 26, 2013 12:17 PM
  • @Alex991136 -

• Please check if internet is working on the PC/laptop you are using to register the phone (I think it should be as you must be posting this question from the same machine :))
    • Now, check if any Anti-Virus or Firewall is running on your PC, disable it for sometime.
    • Disable Location services, Bluetooth, internet sharing
    • Restart your phone
    • Check if internet is working on your Phone
    • Try to register with Developer Unlock tool now.

Just for information, can you please share which company WP7.8 are you having, also is it a new one or you have upgraded the old WP7.1 to WP7.8?

Sunday, January 27, 2013 5:07 AM
  • I set the time settings to Update Automatically and Wifi connected and it worked.

Interesting that when I enabled the Wi-Fi and connected to the internet, my registration finally became successful on the second try (I think since it is 64bit OS) on my Nokia Lumia 920

Thanks for the posts!

Windows Phone 8 App Development

• Edited by eralper Wednesday, March 20, 2013 9:25 PM
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 9:22 PM
  • HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the most bizarre problem I've ever seen - this thread has been running for sixteen months, and there is no clear solution.

I too have this problem, I have two Nokia 920's, and three windows 8 systems I have tried every combination to register without success. I have tried every suggestion on this thread and *many many* more threads to no avail. It is driving me crazy.

Saturday, May 11, 2013 1:01 AM
  • I connected the phone with cable to my Win8 desktop PC

On my phone I enabled automatic time update and enabled wi-fi connection. I was able to browse web through wi-fi on my Nokia 920

First registration try failed, but I process through the same steps for the second time. And registration was successful this time

SQL Server, SQL Server 2012 Denali and T-SQL Tutorials

Sunday, May 12, 2013 7:17 AM
  • * Stale or invalid host name entries can cause this problem...

That was my problem , now it's solve

Thanks

Thursday, June 06, 2013 10:17 AM
  • It would be interesting to find out how this setting came into the hosts file, which usually should not be there.

Note: We just solved another WP device registration problem by renaming the device name!

So for those who still have WP device registration problems please verify that the device name is a short one with no space and extended characters like a hyphen in it!
    You Can rename the phone Name from desktop explorer window when the device is connected by USB.

Hope this helps
    //Klaus

Klaus Bassler

Thursday, June 06, 2013 1:44 PM
  • @Alex991136 -

• Please check if internet is working on the PC/laptop you are using to register the phone (I think it should be as you must be posting this question from the same machine :))
    • Now, check if any Anti-Virus or Firewall is running on your PC, disable it for sometime.
    • Disable Location services, Bluetooth, internet sharing
    • Restart your phone
    • Check if internet is working on your Phone
    • Try to register with Developer Unlock tool now.

Just for information, can you please share which company WP7.8 are you having, also is it a new one or you have upgraded the old WP7.1 to WP7.8?

Thanks. I tried to temporary pause protection of Kaspersky Internet security and it works!!!
    Sunday, August 18, 2013 8:28 AM
  • Correct! That's what I did successfully
    Saturday, September 21, 2013 12:42 AM
  • Same problem for me with 2 differents PC (windows 7 and windows 8.1) and 2 different phone (Acer Alegro 7.1 and Nokia Lumia 620 win 8) have tried all ! the phones appear on the dev/dashboard but won't to unlock !!!

Any help please ?

Domi.

Thursday, June 05, 2014 7:14 AM
  • For the Windows Phone 7.1 device check the troubleshooting steps in this post: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/wpapps/en-US/7d24f5be-fe62-4d7e-86cf-e98925ce9f1d/phone-registration-tool-troubleshooting

For Windows Phone 8 see: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/ff769508(v=vs.105).aspx#BKMK_troubleshoot

Eric Fleck, Windows Store and Windows Phone Developer Support. If you would like to provide feedback or suggestions for future improvements to the Windows Phone SDK please go to http://wpdev.uservoice.com/ where you can post your suggestions and/or cast your votes for existing suggestions.

Thursday, June 05, 2014 2:03 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Eric,

I knew these posts, of course, have checked all without result ! have checked with another wifi connection too; the strange think is that the phones appears on the dashboard but are not unlocked, the best way would be to unlock them first and then listed on the dashboard ...

any other idea ?

Sincerly,

Domi.

Thursday, June 05, 2014 2:25 PM
  • Delete the entries from your dashboard,  power your devices off then back on, and try registering again.

Make sure that the device names are unique, at least 5 characters long, and contain only alpha numeric characters (a-z, A-Z, 0-9).

Eric Fleck, Windows Store and Windows Phone Developer Support. If you would like to provide feedback or suggestions for future improvements to the Windows Phone SDK please go to http://wpdev.uservoice.com/ where you can post your suggestions and/or cast your votes for existing suggestions.

Thursday, June 05, 2014 2:54 PM
    Owner
  • Have already do that several time Eric, deleted the 2 phones from the dev/dashboard, restarted the phones, reset the phones (from the About), changed the name of the phone, time & date are synchronized with my computer,  set automatically (date & time) is off, ....

I wonder if this is not linked with my account which is in english and I'm living in Belgium .... ? nota : previously, the Acer Win 7 worked fine until I have reset it.

Hope to find a solution, I urgently need to debug a crashed app.

Domi.

Thursday, June 05, 2014 4:26 PM
  • What are the precise symptoms you're seeing?

Are you in fact seeing error: 0x64, when attempting to register the devices?

If so, is there any delay before seeing the error or does it show the error almost immediately after clicking register?

After you deleted and tried to re-register the devices do they show up in your Dev Center account again?

Thursday, June 05, 2014 5:11 PM
    Owner
  • Yes, I'm getting this error while unlocking my phone.

1) Zune runs and the phone (Acer) is on the Zune screen.

2) "The Developer Phone Registration" recognize my phone (Status: Identified Windows Phone 7 device. Click ..."

2) click register, a "sign in" panel appears (in french !); I fill all (with an @outlook.com account)

3) Logging into the windows phone center (+/- 1 second of delay)

3) trying to detect windows phone device connected

4) Status : Error Communicating with the windows phone dev center. please set the correct date and time, check the internet conn... (ErrorCode:0x64)

point 4 is shown nearly directly after point 3

and if I log to dev.windowsphone, under the dashboard/Phones, I see my Acer with the remove button.

this test has been made with my Windows 8.1 Pro PC and with a PC running WIndows 7, same problem but 2 seconds waiting with the PC Win 7...

PS: my phone has wifi access, I have tried with grps too, I have tried with and without a SIM card.

Thanks in trying to help me !

Domi.

Thursday, June 05, 2014 9:17 PM
  • I am having this exact same error with a Nokia Lumia 800

Any help would be appreciated... 

Yes, I'm getting this error while unlocking my phone.

2) "The Developer Phone Registration" recognize my phone (Status: Identified Windows Phone 7 device. Click ..."

2) click register, a "sign in" panel appears (in french !); I fill all (with an @outlook.com account)

4) Status : Error Communicating with the windows phone dev center. please set the correct date and time, check the internet conn... (ErrorCode:0x64)

and if I log to dev.windowsphone, under the dashboard/Phones, I see my Acer with the remove button.

this test has been made with my Windows 8.1 Pro PC and with a PC running WIndows 7, same problem but 2 seconds waiting with the PC Win 7...

PS: my phone has wifi access, I have tried with grps too, I have tried with and without a SIM card.

Domi.

Friday, June 06, 2014 9:50 AM
  • I have tried to unlock the Acer (WP7) on a third computer (win 8.1 Pro) at another place (other wifi) and same problem !!!!

this becomes urgent to fix that; is there another way to un-lock the phone for visual studio ?

nota : in the dir of the Developer Phone Registration program, there are 2 keys files for the registry, what's the purpose ?

The developer of this application should exactly know where this problem comes from !

Sincerly,

Domi.

• Edited by McDomi Friday, June 06, 2014 4:28 PM
    Friday, June 06, 2014 4:06 PM
  • What is the OS Version on the phones you are using?    (settings -> about -> more info)

Are you able to try this registration scenario from a different network?  (...with different internet provider.)

Friday, June 06, 2014 4:32 PM
    Owner
  • Eric,

Acer Allegro Windows Phone 7.8

OS version 7.10.8862.144

as said previously, I have tried from two different places and even I have tried with a GPRS connection from my Android (sorry) device used like a 'portable hotspot' which has another provider.

Before I had made the reset of this phone, I had been able to unlock it (5/6 months before) using the same connection/provider.

My phone is up-to-date, no other update is available either from the phone itself or from Zune.

Cheers,

Domi.

• Edited by McDomi Friday, June 06, 2014 4:57 PM
    Friday, June 06, 2014 4:53 PM
  • Have tried on a fourth computer (win 8 pro) same problem.

Domi

Saturday, June 07, 2014 1:01 PM
  • have tried with a fifth and sixth computer and another provide, same error.

Domi.

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 8:32 AM
  • Have you found a solution ?? it's very urgent now.

Thanks,

Domi.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 7:13 AM
  • Yes, I'm getting this error while unlocking my phone.

Domi.

I have exactly the same problem. I can not find a solution. please help!
    Wednesday, June 11, 2014 11:40 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem. I can not find a solution. please help!
    Wednesday, June 11, 2014 11:44 AM
  • Same Issue

WP 7.8 - It was developer unlocked, no problems.

Now its locked but shown on the app hub dashboard as unlocked.

Deleted from app hub several times.

Tried all the suggestion on this thread and others.

Didnt want to reset phone but have done so several times now.

"Error communicating with the app hub etc etc 0x64"

REALLY ANNOYING. All enthused about a new app idea a day ago and now Im at that why do I even bother with microsoft phase.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 4:38 PM
  • Same issue!

I checked a lot forums and followed the ways but also failed to register Windows Phone.

I contacted Microsoft Support just now. The support said the issue is known late last week and Microsoft is fixing the issue but there is no date that when will the issue will resolved.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 5:39 PM
  • @Chong OK : it's a good news to know that the problem comes from Microsoft, could be fine to have a date for the fix even if it's in a week or a month .... the problem is certainly with the connection to the App Hub database as when I connect with the version 7 of the PhoneReg.exe, I always need to re-enter my password twice.

Domi.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 7:58 PM
  • @Chong OK : it's a good news to know that the problem comes from Microsoft, could be fine to have a date for the fix even if it's in a week or a month .... the problem is certainly with the connection to the App Hub database as when I connect with the version 7 of the PhoneReg.exe, I always need to re-enter my password twice.

Domi.

@Domi: True. Everytime I launch the Windows Phone Developer Registration, I have to type my username and password twice only the software can log in to my Microsoft Account.
    Thursday, June 12, 2014 12:15 PM
  • Count me in. My Lumia 800 worked for years as a unlocked device and now, suddenly, got locked again. I'm also unable to unlock it again with the same 0x64 error as all of you are receiving. I tried each and every combination of the suggested solutions here, but also no luck on my side.
    Saturday, June 14, 2014 12:03 PM
  • Facing the same Problem !

(My Device shows up in the dev center, but the Registration tool and Visual Studio showing up Errors)

Could this be related to the fact, that my developer account is not the same as the live.com/Outlook.com Account which I am using with my phone ?

• Edited by StotheG Sunday, June 15, 2014 11:36 AM
    Saturday, June 14, 2014 10:16 PM
  • I also facing same problem.
    I have done all above steps and also remove entry from host file, still I am not able to unlock/register my lumia 610.
    Few days back, i have registered and tested my apps on my phone.

I have done hard reset of phone, tried with different live account.
    But all in vain.

Microsoft, at least listen to developers. How we can develop apps if we face such issues and not getting any solution???

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 3:22 PM
  • Same issue here (HTC 7 Mozart with WP 7.8, Windows Phone SDK 7.1, Visual Studio 2010, student account). Please, fix it
    Tuesday, June 17, 2014 10:19 PM
  • Same problem here. New windows phone 7.8. Paid my fee, and went to register, and get the 0x64 error. Really annoying. Tried 100 times.

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 9:57 AM
  • @Chong OK : I too have the same problem. Your post has come as a great relief. Will keep trying now. In case you find the problem has been solved, could you please put a one line post here? If I get my phone registered, I'll definitely post to inform all fellow sufferers.

Biswajit

Friday, June 20, 2014 8:12 AM
  • @Biswajit : I had started the discussion before Chong OK with Eric (MS) and I try regularly to connect the phone, whenever it's ok or if I received something from Eric, I'll post a reply on this thread.

Sincerly,

Domi.

Friday, June 20, 2014 8:20 AM
  • @Domi : That'll be great. Thanks a lot.

Regards.

Biswajit

Friday, June 20, 2014 11:04 AM
  • I dev. unlocked my windows phone 8.then i updated my phone to wp8.1 dev preview.after that i gave a hard reset to my phone.and now it saying that i haven't unlocked my phone.when i m trying to unlock the phone again via windows phone sdk..it's showing error.help me out.
    Tuesday, June 24, 2014 11:14 AM
  • Yes, one more to add to the list of the same question but maybe with a twist.  I am very new at this but I have tried to unlock my phone (Nokia Lumia 900 on W7.8; OS 7.10.8862.144) using a W7 & a W8.1 machine but I only get ErrorCode 0x64. 
    I have tried everything that I found posted here and in a Bing search without luck.
    One thing I didn't see mentioned anyplace that is happening to me is that my phone always shows up on my Dashboard as registered the first time I register it even though I get the error.  The problem is the phone doesn't unlock.

Any new thoughts?

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 1:36 PM
  • I bought a new HTC 8x windows phone, It is a UK manufactured unit but I am using in India .

When I am trying to Unlock the device using Windows Phone developer registration tool it was throwing error

I tried all troubleshooting but no luck. I turned off automatic time setting under date time settings, turned on wifi, correctly set the region and language but same error.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 4:24 PM
  • Hi,

I have seen earlier that similar issues are posted.

Here is the link, Check if this can solve your problem -

Windows Phone Dev unlock

-Malleswar

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 5:18 PM
  • I got a new problem now, phone is listed under phones in windows phone devcenter .... but I am getting the same error and unable to run app on the phone
    Tuesday, June 24, 2014 6:06 PM
  • As of the 23rd May 2014 my Lumia 800 is no longer developer unlocked. I have tried to unlock it using the developer unlock tool but I am getting the dreaded 0x64 Error!

Whats going on here? Nothing has changed in my setup since I unlocked another device a few months ago without a problem. Even using this recently unlocked device I am still getting the same issue.

Come on Microsoft, what are you playing at? I am half way through development of an app and this has seriously put me on the edge of just calling it a day with Microsoft.

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 6:54 PM
  • Hey there, you guys tried to Register your phone today ? I just succeeded with my last try.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 8:51 PM
  • I just tried and still does not work for me.

"Please set the correct date and time on the phone, check the Internet connection and try again later." with ErrorCode = 0x64.

I wonder if it will ever be possible to get my phone developer unlocked again..

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 9:24 PM
  • Have tried one more time today, same problem with my Acer win 7.1

Domi.

Wednesday, June 25, 2014 6:24 AM
  • update 27/6/14: Phone successfully unlocked today. Didn't change a thing on my end so Microsoft portal must of been the cause of the problems.
    Friday, June 27, 2014 9:56 PM
  • @Domi : I was able to unlock my phone today. Wish you all the best with your phone.

Regards.

Biswajit

Saturday, June 28, 2014 7:08 AM
  • Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss !!!!!!!!!!

it runs for me too now.

@Biswajit : thanks for your notification.

sincerly,

Domi.

Saturday, June 28, 2014 2:03 PM
  • After one month frustration, struggle now its unlocked.... nothing I did only change is i connected my mobile to my laptops hotspot then i hit register button its unlocked.........
    Friday, July 04, 2014 10:10 AM
  • Hello everyone!

There was recent update on portal, please, try it once again.

Also, please, update your PC to the latest updates prior doing this.

No problems should be seen now!

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 10:43 AM
  • Hi Evgeniya,

thanks for this notification but I think that people (like me) who has succesffully registered the phones don't want to un-register it to check, we don't want to get the same problem after :-)

sincerly,

Domi.

Tuesday, July 15, 2014 12:20 PM
  • Hi Evgeniya,

I have a Samsung Focus with the latest WP7.8 build. The phone was unlocked for a year until March. I wasn't able to unlock it again since. The previous time this happened I did a Factory reset and it worked, but I'm not prepared to do it again just to unlock it...

You said that the problem has been resolved, but it wasn't. I'm using Win7 64bit, with the latest updates to all MS software and I've tried this in the evening and now I'm trying it again at 2AM, with the same result of error 0x64 (after multiple 'retry' attempts).

This is crazy and a waste of our time.

• Edited by TheCoolest Tuesday, July 15, 2014 10:47 PM
    Tuesday, July 15, 2014 10:47 PM

• I am using window phone 8. ipOverUsbserv is also running good. time and date are also right,i checked all and clear it. but i am not insert the sim and try. still i cant register my phone. what to pls help me

• Edited by Negasi Tuesday, November 18, 2014 6:57 PM
    Tuesday, November 18, 2014 6:57 PM
  • I meet the same problem
    Saturday, May 09, 2015 4:33 PM
  • I  will try do it .

Saturday, May 09, 2015 4:39 PM
  • It's 10/5/2015,Now

And,there is no clear solution or description about this answer!!!

after 3 yeas.

Sunday, May 10, 2015 2:14 PM
  • I am also facing the same issue, not able to find a solution .

Please help
    • Edited by Lijo Jose Monday, May 11, 2015 9:39 PM
    Monday, May 11, 2015 9:39 PM
  • Unplugged my Lumia 630, plugged it back in to the PC. Then turned WiFi on (on the phone) and off (on the PC). Fixed it for me.

I'm running Win 8 on VMWare Fusion 6 on OSX Yosemite

Tuesday, May 26, 2015 6:35 PM