The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

Porting windows desktop app to windows 8.1 phone OS RRS feed

• Question

• I have some windows desktop application. UI part of the app created using HTML5+JavaScript and that will talk with Windows Service(Core part) using socket communication.

This works on Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 operating system. Now I need to port this application to target Windows 8.1 Phone OS. I heard lot about Metro Apps on Windows 8x OS. So what are the steps involved to port my desktop app to Windows 8.1 Phone app. I am sure that I need to change my UI to metro app. But how about my service application(core). Do I need to port this as well?

Thursday, September 11, 2014 7:05 AM

Answers

• Yes, pretty much everything will need to be ported. Windows Phone does not have Services. You'll have to give a lot better description of your app in order for us to give you better advice.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Thursday, September 11, 2014 7:57 PM
  • Hi Arunprasath86,

This could be a really huge question, since you are not back to answer Matt's question, I will simply provide some general information to you.

UI part of the app created using HTML5+JavaScript and that will talk with Windows Service(Core part) using socket communication

-> We have Windows Phone WinJS app that support you to wrote HTML code, for detail information, please ref: http://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2014/04/18/winjs-on-windows-phone-8-1/, I think this documentation could be a good start for you to know how WinJS works: Developing apps

Now I need to port this application to target Windows 8.1 Phone OS. I heard lot about Metro Apps on Windows 8x OS. So what are the steps involved to port my desktop app to Windows 8.1 Phone app.

-> After go through the documentation I suggested, you should be able to know how WinJS works, basically you can treat WinJS pages like normal HTML pages, put your HTML and JavaScript in the page should be ok.

But how about my service application(core). Do I need to port this as well

->It's really depend on how you wrote your code, I don't know what is your code for Desktop application, but we do have some WinJS documentations for socket connection: Connecting with sockets, probably they are what you need.

Feel free to post on the forum if you have further questions.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, October 9, 2014 6:36 AM

All replies

• Yes, pretty much everything will need to be ported. Windows Phone does not have Services. You'll have to give a lot better description of your app in order for us to give you better advice.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Thursday, September 11, 2014 7:57 PM
  • Hi Arunprasath86,

This could be a really huge question, since you are not back to answer Matt's question, I will simply provide some general information to you.

UI part of the app created using HTML5+JavaScript and that will talk with Windows Service(Core part) using socket communication

-> We have Windows Phone WinJS app that support you to wrote HTML code, for detail information, please ref: http://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/2014/04/18/winjs-on-windows-phone-8-1/, I think this documentation could be a good start for you to know how WinJS works: Developing apps

Now I need to port this application to target Windows 8.1 Phone OS. I heard lot about Metro Apps on Windows 8x OS. So what are the steps involved to port my desktop app to Windows 8.1 Phone app.

-> After go through the documentation I suggested, you should be able to know how WinJS works, basically you can treat WinJS pages like normal HTML pages, put your HTML and JavaScript in the page should be ok.

But how about my service application(core). Do I need to port this as well

->It's really depend on how you wrote your code, I don't know what is your code for Desktop application, but we do have some WinJS documentations for socket connection: Connecting with sockets, probably they are what you need.

Feel free to post on the forum if you have further questions.

--James

<THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Thursday, October 9, 2014 6:36 AM