none
App Identity Incorrect for store submission

Question

• Hi there,

When I associate my app with the store through Visual Studio, it successfully creates an application that I can see in the partner center.

If I view the App Management / App Identity details it has put in the wrong values for my package identity.

What I'm expecting to see is "devoctomy" written where "npSoftware" is written.  My account details were changed a long time ago, but not here it seems.  If I go into the developer settings everything looks okay and says devoctomy, any idea how to correct this?  I hope this doesn't mean that I'll have to open up another account as this is all linked with my Visual Studio Account / Azure subscription etc.

Thanks.

Nick.

Somewhere out there...

Sunday, February 3, 2019 4:28 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Is the app in the dev center newly created? If not, what about create a new app in the Dev Center and then associate it?

Have you checked the publisher in the package's manifest? Is it the one that related to "npSoftware" that you want?

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 4, 2019 6:57 AM
  • Hi Roy,

Yes this is newly created.

Visual Studio wants to change what's in my app to these values after I associate it.  That value isn't in any of my source code at all, it's being generated by the portal.

Nick.

I just created a new app in the portal, and without even involving Visual Studio, this is what it has produced.

Somewhere out there...

Monday, February 4, 2019 7:14 PM
  • Just to be clear, npSoftware was the original publisher name I chose when I created the account, it was changed to devoctomy about a year ago.  I'm guessing it doesn't change it everywhere.  But as I'm intended to release a security product, I could really do with continuity here otherwise it might look a bit dodgy.  

Somewhere out there...

Monday, February 4, 2019 7:21 PM
  • Any ideas on this?  I'm not publishing an app that has a different name in the package ID, so I'm blocked until I can resolve this.

Somewhere out there...

Monday, February 11, 2019 8:33 AM
  • Hi Firkinfedup,

Could you mind to modify the parameters in appxmanifest(right click 'package.appxmanifest'>View code), then package the application to make a submission? You could refer to the following picture to fill the parameters.

Best regards

Daisy  Tian

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, February 11, 2019 9:17 AM
  • Hi Daisy,

Are you suggesting to make my app manifest details different from those in the associated app in the dev center?

When I reserve the app name, or associate it, the app manifest updates on its own to the incorrect values.  If I change these, to something else, how will it know what app to associate with?

As mentioned above, the package ID is incorrect in the dev center without even getting Visual Studio involved.  It creates an app with the wrong package ID.

From what I see above, you're essentially telling me to copy the details from the dev center (which are incorrect) and paste them into my app manifest.

To clarify,  my package ID is incorrect, it has npSoftware in it, when I want devoctomy in it. This has *nothing* to do with Visual Studio.

Nick.

Somewhere out there...

• Edited by Firkinfedup Tuesday, February 12, 2019 1:06 PM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2019 1:04 PM
  • This screenshot shows the issue, I create an app in the dev center, it uses the wrong name in the package ID, it should say devoctomy, NOT npSoftware.  I need these both to say devoctomy.

Somewhere out there...

Tuesday, February 12, 2019 1:09 PM
  • Hi Daisy, is there any way I can make some progress with this issue?  Is there any more information you need from me?

Steps to reproduce my side (just for clarity).

1.  Log into dev center

2.  Create an app

3.  View app identity details, observe that the package ID does not contain my current publisher name, it contains my old one.

Somewhere out there...

Wednesday, February 13, 2019 4:33 PM
  • If this issue could be escalated I would be most appreciative.

Somewhere out there...

Thursday, February 14, 2019 11:00 AM
  • Hi Roy, things seem to have gone very quiet in here and I'm eager to attempt to get this resolved before I publish my app to the store.  As mentioned in another reply, I'm releasing a security product and feel continuity between my publisher name and package ID is important for providing and building a trustworthy identity.

Sorry to hassle you 2 but I don't have any other means of getting this resolved.

Somewhere out there...

• Edited by Firkinfedup Saturday, February 16, 2019 11:15 AM
    Saturday, February 16, 2019 10:32 AM
  • Hi there,

I have a question open for this question on here, but the thread seems to have died even though I have no solution yet and this is pretty urgent for me.

Existing question can be seen below,

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsapps/en-US/109415c7-7573-49b6-9769-29177dff77de/app-identity-incorrect-for-store-submission?forum=windowsstore#a467b71f-af71-41c9-b063-b9765bd6bea8

It's pretty simple, but not sure if I've explained it wrong so I shall try again, as concise as possible.

Here you can see a screenshot of my issue in the developer center

So when I first created my developer account, my publisher name was npSoftware.  About a year ago, I changed it to devoctomy.  Unfortunately, now when I create new apps in the dev center, it still uses the old publisher name in the package identity.

It should say devoctomy.

Now you might think this is a minor issue, but for me it's pretty big as I want to release a security product, and need to have continuity with everything otherwise it would just my app come across as less trustworthy in my opinion.  Plus it's an obvious bug that's not been noticed / acknowledged.

Try it yourself I guess (Microsoft), create an account, create an app, observe the package ID, rename the publisher, create another app and observe the new ones package ID, does it still have the old publisher name in it?

I must stress, this has nothing to do with Visual Studio.

Thanks.

Nick.

Somewhere out there...

Tuesday, February 19, 2019 2:44 PM
  • Hi Firkinfedup,

>for me it's pretty big as I want to release a security product, and need to have continuity with everything otherwise it would just my app come across as less trustworthy in my opinion.

Could you tell me where the instructions indicate that inconsistent Name in identity and PublisherdisplayName in properties will affect the security of the product?Maybe I miss something.

We can't find the method to edit the package identity name now. If you want to update the package identity name,could you contact Windows developer support for help?

Best regards

Daisy  Tian

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, February 20, 2019 7:32 AM
  • Hi Firkinfedup,

>for me it's pretty big as I want to release a security product, and need to have continuity with everything otherwise it would just my app come across as less trustworthy in my opinion.

Could you tell me where the instructions indicate that inconsistent Name in identity and PublisherdisplayName in properties will affect the security of the product?Maybe I miss something.

We can't find the method to edit the package identity name now. If you want to update the package identity name,could you contact Windows developer support for help?

Best regards

Daisy  Tian

MSDN Community Support

From a perspective of trust, nothing else.  I'm releasing a security product and it's inevitable that people are going to poke about with it.  So having inconsistencies like that are undesirable.  npSoftware is the name for my personal projects since I was about 18, devoctomy is my professional, registered company, so I expect them to match.  I assume you understand that logic?

If you right clicked and viewed the properties of Microsoft's core crypto DLL's and they had some random unregistered company (Joe Bloggs INC) name in there, what would you think of that?

Somewhere out there...

• Edited by Firkinfedup Wednesday, February 20, 2019 7:52 AM
    Wednesday, February 20, 2019 7:46 AM