none
[UWP]Missing automatic content groups when using streaming installation via the store

Question

• Hi,

I implemented streaming installation in a UWP app. Everything works perfectly when testing locally using either the provided debugging app or through Device Portal.

The problem arises when I then submit the app to the store. The packages get validated, certification succeeds, and the app gets published. But when downloading the app from the store, only the required content group gets installed. The automatic content groups never show up. The placeholder files are there, but they remain empty. As far as the app is concerned, all the automatic content groups remain "NotStaged" indefinitely. 

Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas as to what the problem might be? Are there are particular capabilities the app needs to declare to enable streaming installation via the store?

Grateful for any advice. Thanks.

Tuesday, January 22, 2019 9:22 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Well, could you please share me about how you implement the streaming installation inside your UWP app? Do you have any document or tutorial you are following that could share with me?

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 7:35 AM
  • Hi Roy,

I followed the steps in this blog series: https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/appinstaller/2017/03/15/uwp-streaming-app-installation/

I authored a SourceAppxContentGroupMap.xml file and then used Visual Studio to perform the conversion to AppxContentGroupMap.xml so that the contents would get validated.

When I test locally, everything is fine and the UI in my app updates to reflect any (simulated) changes I make to the status of each automatic content group.

The problem arises when installing the app from the store - as far as I can tell, the downloads for the automatic content groups just never get initiated.

Best wishes,

Ian

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 9:36 AM
  • Hi,

I'm asking other engineers might be able to help about this question. There might be some time delay.

Thank you for your patience.

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 25, 2019 8:28 AM
  • OK Roy, many thanks for looking into it for me. Will wait to hear.

Best wishes,

Ian

Friday, January 25, 2019 9:34 AM
  • Hi,

When you are testing locally, have you tried to create a release build package about this with .NET Native and Optimizations both enabled?

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support

Monday, January 28, 2019 6:41 AM
  • Hi Roy,

I deployed a release build locally during testing, but I am unsure whether .NET Native and Optimizations were enabled - I will look into it. Thank you.

In more general terms, do you happen to know how streaming install is supposed to work? I would have thought that the store would continue to download automatic content in the background, regardless of whether/when the user launches the app. Is this not the case? Or, another way of looking at it, does the store have to hook into the app's own code before it will begin downloading automatic content groups?

Grateful for any advice.

Ian

Monday, January 28, 2019 10:00 AM
  • Hi,

I have to say that I also know few things about this. But I had asked the team for help about your questions like how it works. There might be some time delay.

Thank you for your patience.

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, January 30, 2019 4:25 AM
  • Hi IMW,

Thanks much for reporting this issue to us. We certainly want to find root cause of the issue. We need your assistance in narrowing down the problem. This includes gathering some information about your Windows Store account that we can't collect on the Forum. Can you please open up a new ticket with my team? We will work with you directly to get to the bottom of this issue and help you get streaming installation working in your app. 

Since this appears to be an issue with the Store we will refund any cost you may incur when opening the ticket. Again, we really need your help to track this down so please help us by opening a ticket with my team.

You can open a ticket with my team here: http://aka.ms/storesupport

1. On the page click the "contact us" tab in the middle of the page.
    2. Under "Tell us what your issue’s about" select "Windows 10 UWP app Development".
    3. Click the "Submit an incident" button and follow the remainder of the prompts. 

If you have any questions about submitting a ticket so we can get you the best one on one assistance possible please let me know.

Thanks,

James

Windows SDK Technologies - Microsoft Developer Services - http://blogs.msdn.com/mediasdkstuff/

Thursday, March 14, 2019 10:08 PM
    Owner
  • Thanks James, I submitted a support ticket just now.

Would be great to have this resolved.

Best wishes,

Ian

Friday, March 15, 2019 9:24 AM