none
[UWP]Will the Surface Duo allow UWP apps? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I'm sure that many of us watched the Microsoft Surface Event on Wednesday and noticed the statements about Surface Duo using Android. I also noticed that Windows 10 X (what we've been referring to as Windows Lite or Windows Core OS) was mentioned for Surface Neo but not Surface Duo. Does this mean that I will still need to convert all my UWP apps to Android like I would have needed to before? At 1:01:29 in the event it is stated that "we also want to bring developers on this journey with us". In order to finalize my apps, I want to know whether I should be designing them for Windows 10 X (which hopefully there will be an SDK for soon), Android, or UWP (which I would still like to know what the expected or best way to do dual screen for is). I would love to come on the journey, but I think I need a little more detail in order to keep my developer skill up to date. Any thoughts, info, or ideas?

Nathan Sokalski njsokalski@hotmail.com http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 5:39 PM

All replies

• I think, no, it is just Android phone with preinstalled Office, because all icons and toolbars look like Android, device promotes Google search instead of Bing etc.

IMO, this device is a spit in the face of developers, users and companies working with Microsoft products. Apparently, Satya literally hates everything related to Windows.

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 8:13 PM
  • Figures. I think I have a "Windows Addiction", I can't seem to convince myself that I need to start learning how to convert my apps to Android. I just think that if other devices like Surface Neo are going to run Windows 10 X, then Surface Duo should, too. They are definitely very similar devices, and since many of the Android apps were developed using Visual Studio, it shouldn't be that hard for the commercial apps to be converted. Or, even better, make the device available with Windows or Android. Many apps will end up getting redesigned or modified to be optimized for dual screen either way, so why can't we make everyone happy? And what about apps that will need to have a desktop AND mobile version? This will just make that harder.

Nathan Sokalski njsokalski@hotmail.com http://www.nathansokalski.com/

Wednesday, October 2, 2019 8:44 PM
  • Xamarin is pretty easy to use, you can reuse almost all of your code and it has better performance than native Java applications on Android. :)
    Friday, October 4, 2019 11:26 PM
  • Somebody started a petiotion on Change.org about full Windows on Surface Duo: https://www.change.org/p/panos-panay-satya-nadella-panos-satya-give-us-a-microsoft-surface-duo-running-windows-10x

I realize that it is unlikely that my signature will affect anything, but I signed it, since I sincerely consider current situation with Surface Duo a big mistake. It is much easier to change the font size and margins in desktop applications than rewrite them for Android.

MCSD App Builder, MCSA UWP

Monday, October 7, 2019 6:22 PM
  • There are significant differences between UWP and Xamarin, especially when you start to leverage some of the platform specific aspects of UWP.  When it comes to platform considerations in general, if you want an application that will be a standout on a given platform, a lot of code will have to target capabilities that are in IOS only, or Android only or UWP only.

"Cross platform" is still a myth of sorts.

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 1:00 AM