none
How end user knows she is about to install a full trust app from the store? RRS feed

• Question

• Today we have ability to publish to the store not only sandboxed UWP apps, but also full trust desktop apps. However, it looks like users are not warned in any way that particular app being installed will have full access to user's hard drive, registry, devices and sensors. Yes, there is a barely notable description at the end of app description which mentions that, but I'm sure 90% users (or even more) will never read that. They will assume that all apps in the store are restricted in their rights and are safe in the same way as on their mobile devices. So my question is: how a user is forced to confirm he/she understands the app's permission requirements for full trusted apps?
    Friday, July 12, 2019 3:38 PM

Answers

• Hi Andriy Savin,
    Is the "barely notable description" the item of "This app can" at the bottom of the app page in the Store? In addition to this notice, there is no notification setting in app submission that reminds the users about the app permission before they install the app now. In the Store ,the App Description is just under the app name which is easily to read, could you mind giving the notice in this field?

Best regards

Daisy  Tian

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Andriy Savin Tuesday, July 16, 2019 7:25 PM
    Monday, July 15, 2019 3:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Andriy Savin,
    Is the "barely notable description" the item of "This app can" at the bottom of the app page in the Store? In addition to this notice, there is no notification setting in app submission that reminds the users about the app permission before they install the app now. In the Store ,the App Description is just under the app name which is easily to read, could you mind giving the notice in this field?

Best regards

Daisy  Tian

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Andriy Savin Tuesday, July 16, 2019 7:25 PM
    Monday, July 15, 2019 3:31 AM
  • Hi Daisy,

Yes, I mean "This app can" item. And yes, a developer can make it clear in the description that his app has full access, but:

•  Each developer will do this with different words and clarity;
    •  Developers will be afraid to scare users so they never will install their app, so I doubt anybody will add such a note voluntarily;
    •  Most important: a developer which has malicious intentions will obviously never warn users.

Having said that, as an app user I would be happy if MS had a way to warn users about full trust apps. MS could thoroughly select words which would give an average user understanding the situation without scaring her. Of course, ideally i would like that MS wouldn't allow full trust apps to be published to the store by arbitrary developers, but I understand that the company needs good apps in the store as fresh air.

Monday, July 15, 2019 7:16 AM
  • Hi Andriy Savin,
    >as an app user I would be happy if MS had a way to warn users about full trust apps. 
    This requirement is out of our scope of publishing forum, please this suggestion at feedback hub so that you could be assisted better. Thanks for your understanding.
    Best regards
    Daisy  Tian

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 1:53 AM