none
App title Internationalization not shown on the Store (but ok on the tiles)

Answers

• Yes, thank you.

So to summarize: 

When localizing the application Title, you should use the full language code (lang + culture) rather than using the shorter 2 letter language code in the Languages section of WMAppManifest.xml. ex:

If you include both the short form (2 letters only) and the long form then Dev Center will ignore the long form and use the language neutral title for that particular language.

Note: When editing WMAppManifest.xml in the Designer view the short form is listed as the language without any region/nationality in parenthesis, ex:

-Eric.

• Marked as answer by Poppyto Friday, June 14, 2013 2:11 PM
    Friday, June 14, 2013 2:04 PM
  • I got it !

I removed the "fr" language and add the "fr-FR" in the manifest : it's working !

So I guess I will have to only check the complete ISO codes, following the dlls.

Thank for your help Eric !

• Edited by Poppyto Thursday, June 13, 2013 10:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by Eric Fleck Thursday, June 13, 2013 10:30 PM
    Thursday, June 13, 2013 10:02 PM

All replies

• I've seen this kind of problem a couple times but I don't know that anyone has found the cause.

In at least some cases it appears that the first XAP uploaded, when creating a new submission, had incorrect localization and that subsequent updates, with corrected localization, would not update the title in the marketplace...

-Eric.

Thursday, May 30, 2013 4:57 PM
  • Thanks Eric for your answer; it seems buggy to me...

Is there sombody of the MS team here who could answer to this behavior/bug ?

Thursday, May 30, 2013 5:02 PM
  • I tried with a new app in beta mode and it does not works too.

It appears the Store show the correct title for WP7 only apps.
    And it shows just the neutral for WP8.

(I use this method http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/ff967550(v=vs.105).aspx#Loc_Download in the both WP7&WP8 project).

Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:49 PM
  • Which languages does your app support? 

Are you seeing the neutral language for all of them or do some show correctly?

-Eric.

Thursday, June 13, 2013 4:13 PM
  • Dear Eric,

The app supports 7 languages (en/fr/es/de/it/pt/ja).

I see the neutral language for all of them in the store (the tiles titles are ok on the phone).

Maybe there is a difference bewteen WP7 and WP8 for the title internationalisation ? 

Thursday, June 13, 2013 4:53 PM
  • Question:
      When you followed the steps "How to localize an app title for Windows Phone", did you download and use the "Language-Neutral Resource Project" mentioned on that page or did you create your own resource project from scratch?

-Eric.

Thursday, June 13, 2013 6:32 PM
  • If you open your WMAppManifest.xml and go to the Packaging tab...

Which "Supported languages" do you have selected?

(If you're viewing the raw XML look for a <Languages ...> block near the top.)

-Eric.

Thursday, June 13, 2013 7:58 PM
  • Dear Eric,

Thank for your time and  answers.

I tried the Language-Neutral Resource Project, and the WP7AppTitleLocalizer project here (http://patrickgetzmann.wordpress.com/wp7-localize/) but none of these seem to work.

I think my manifest is ok :

<DefaultLanguage xmlns="" code="en" />
      <Languages xmlns="">
        <Language code="de" />
        <Language code="es" />
        <Language code="fr" />
        <Language code="it" />
        <Language code="ja" />
        <Language code="pt" />
      </Languages>

I will try with to add completes codes (fr-FR) this is maybe the trick, I will let you know soon

Stephane

Thursday, June 13, 2013 9:06 PM
  • Well I tried new things :

1-Copy AppResLib.dll.040c.mui (french) on AppResLib.dll

=> the app title Neutral in the Store is in French => so the dll is correct

2-I rewind, AppResLib.dll in english (neutral) an I add the "fr-FR" support in manifest

=> The store shows the neutral language title for French => fail

3- I add all the "fr-*" support in manifest

=> The store shows the neutral language title for French => fail

Is somebody in the world can make it works :D ??

Stephane

Thursday, June 13, 2013 9:49 PM
  • I got it !

I removed the "fr" language and add the "fr-FR" in the manifest : it's working !

So I guess I will have to only check the complete ISO codes, following the dlls.

Thank for your help Eric !

• Edited by Poppyto Thursday, June 13, 2013 10:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by Eric Fleck Thursday, June 13, 2013 10:30 PM
    Thursday, June 13, 2013 10:02 PM
  • Yep, that looks like the problem.  I was able to duplicate your results.

-Eric.

Thursday, June 13, 2013 10:31 PM
  • Great, I answered to Microsoft to help them to debug it on the Store (or to add the trick on the MSDN page, maybe faster !)
    Thursday, June 13, 2013 10:33 PM
  • Yes, thank you.

So to summarize: 

When localizing the application Title, you should use the full language code (lang + culture) rather than using the shorter 2 letter language code in the Languages section of WMAppManifest.xml. ex:

If you include both the short form (2 letters only) and the long form then Dev Center will ignore the long form and use the language neutral title for that particular language.

Note: When editing WMAppManifest.xml in the Designer view the short form is listed as the language without any region/nationality in parenthesis, ex:

-Eric.

• Marked as answer by Poppyto Friday, June 14, 2013 2:11 PM
    Friday, June 14, 2013 2:04 PM
  • Tjis is exactly that, I also blogged the problem.
    Friday, June 14, 2013 2:12 PM
  • Hello,

I have the exact same problem.

But I have another problem with your workaround solution ("If you include both the short form (2 letters only) and the long form then Dev Center will ignore the long form and use the language neutral title for that particular language."):

When I removed the two letters language code and published my new version, the old version still remains with "Replaced and unpublished". Wich means the new version not fully replaced the old version.
    And this causes me very serious problems:

1. Some of my users will still receive the old version of my app (after 3days). The store randomly gives the old or the new version of my app.

2. My app has a WP7 version and a WP8 version XAP in the same submission. The wp7 xap works only on WP7 and the wp8 xap works only for WP8.
    Sometimes the store gives the wrong wp7 version of my app to Windows Phone 8 users.

So I'm very unhappy.

I think when someone include for example "ru-ru" and "ru" then the store should use the Russian tile and not the language neutral title. So this is a bug in the Windows Phone Store.

If this bug not will be fixed then it should be an option to remove the "ru" language code from my app 'language History'.
    Currently if you ever mistakenly selected a "ru" language than you will be in a very bad situation forever:
    - You can live with the wrong Tile displayed for Russian language in the Store or
    - You can publish an update with the removed "ru" language, but this update will not "fully replace" the old version and you will in truble: 1.) & 2.): the store will randomly deliver the old/wrong version of your xap.

I write a lot support ticket on this, but no one really cares on this issue.

Can we ever except this bug will be fixed?

Thanks,
    Tom

• Edited by pubtom Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:09 AM
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:07 AM
  • Dear pubtom,

I'm happy somebody experienced the same problems as me !

1. You have to wait for MS synchronization servers. It takes few days (my apps were in this state few days before it looks like ok again).
    2. I think you already did, but the version number of the XAP-WP8 have to be greater than the XAP-WP7.

I agree with you, as I already said, it is a bug in the Windows Store 8.

Don't waste your time with the support, they can't handle bugs, and the dev team is unfortunately unaccessible. As I already ask to the support, they have to update the msdn page to specify this behaviour.

Good luck !

Stephane

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:48 AM
  • Dear Stephane,

Thanks for your answer! I'm also happy that I'm not alone with my problem.
    I'm waiting for Eric's answer. It seems to me he is the only one from MS who really try to help solving problems.

"You have to wait for MS synchronization servers. It takes few days (my apps were in this state few days before it looks like ok again)." => After more than a month the problem was there.

"I think you already did, but the version number of the XAP-WP8 have to be greater than the XAP-WP7." => Yes the WP8 xap version (4.x.x.x) is allways higher than the WP7 xap version (3.x.x.x)

The above mentioned problem is really dependent only the language selections, because in the past I tried all combinations:

A.) "ru-RU" and "ru" case: 
    wrong Tile displayed for Russian language in the Store

B.) "ru-RU" case:
    You can publish an update with the removed "ru" language, but this update will not "fully replace" the old version and you will in truble: 1.) & 2.): the store will randomly deliver the old/wrong version of your xap.

If you ever mistakenly selected a "ru" language than you will be in a very bad situation forever!!

Tom

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 1:07 PM
  • Ok, I had the problem of "You can publish an update with the removed "ru" language, but this update will not "fully replace" the old version and you will in truble" by removing the "FR" and adding "FR-fr", but I don't understand the problem of unpublising => If an user has the old version, it will be updated as this is the same GUID app and a newer version ?

(I'm not english, sometimes I don't understand well sorry)
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 1:13 PM
  • "If an user has the old version, it will be updated as this is the same GUID app and a newer version ?"

=> Unfortunately not, the Store will show that the old version is the newest on some phones. This is because the Store works in the following way:

You can have more xap in one submission(not just two, but three or more). Each xap can has different capabilities and supported languages. For example you can have a xap version with compass support and a xap version for phones without compass. The Store will select the matching xap version regarding the capabilities and languages.

If you ever mistakenly selected a "ru" language (or other two character ISO language) than you will be in a very bad situation forever!!

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 3:44 PM
  • Mmm I don't have this problem on my Nokia 620, because I had the "old" ("fr") app, and when i updated the app (removing "fr", add "fr-FR") Windows Store purposed me the new version in the updates.

BUT I really agree with you to alert the dev team ! 
    Tuesday, June 18, 2013 3:59 PM
  • This error occures when you have two XAP (one for WP7 and one fore WP8) in one submission.
    If the problem not exists on your Nokia 620 doesn't mean that other users will get the correct XAP version.

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 6:27 PM
  • Hello,

@Eric: Can you help on this?

Thanks,
    Tom

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 11:01 PM
  • I don't have as much insight into the implementation details of the ingestion and publishing process as I used to have... but I'll help if I can.

What are the remaining issues/questions that need to be resolved?

FYI: There is some best practice documentation here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/help/jj631569(v=vs.105).aspx.

-Eric.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 6:29 PM
  • Can we expect this DevCenter bug will ever be solved?

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 6:30 PM
  • I cannot accurately predict if this will be solved any time soon but I have made an effort to ensure the appropriate dev team is aware of these problems.

-Eric.

Wednesday, June 19, 2013 8:20 PM
  • I have a feeling that because no one is interested in solving this bug then this error will exist forever!

Of course I can submit a support request (I have already) and also the support guy suggest to submit to the forum, because he can't solve this problem. Infinite cycle!!
    Or I can buy a pay-par-incident support... wow!!
    I payed for the annual subscription so I can expect that the system working without errors! Or if there any error than it should be fixed without I need to paying more.

I'm really tired on this error!

I give up!

Tom

Sunday, June 30, 2013 4:36 PM
  • I created a user-voice ticket about this problem:

http://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/110705-dev-platform/suggestions/4193091-enable-removing-language-code-from-the-language-h

If you also would like to have the solution, please vote on it!

Thanks,
    Tom

Monday, September 16, 2013 9:58 PM
  • Dear Erick,

I used only hu-HU and en-US in my app everywhere but it still shows my app name only in English in the store. On the device it works fine.

My resource files:

- AssemblyInfo.cs => [assembly: NeutralResourcesLanguageAttribute("hu-HU")]
    - AppResources.resx (ResourceLanguage = hu-HU)
    - AppResources.en-US.resx (ResourceLanguage = en-US)
    - AppResLib.dll (Configuration Properties\Resources\General\Culture = "English (United States) (0x409)")
    - AppResLib.dll.0409.mui (Configuration Properties\Resources\General\Culture = "English (United States) (0x409)")
    - AppResLib.dll.040e.mui (Configuration Properties\Resources\General\Culture = "Hungarian (Hungary) (0x40e)")

I followed the instructions on this page:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/ff967550%28v=vs.105%29.aspx

But if I follow step 7 which says "In Solution Explorer, move the AppResLib.dll.*.mui files into the Resources folder." then the localized app tile won't work on the device. So I left them in the root folder of the project.

Yesterday I published a new version where I have the *.mui files both in the root folder and in the Resources folder of the project but it did not resolve the problem.

Do you have any idea I can try? I left out from ideas.

Thank you for your help in advance.

Best regards,
    Gábor

Thursday, March 27, 2014 9:58 PM
  • Look in your WMAppManifest.xml file... Do you have any entry under "Languages" which is only two characters?

-Eric.

Thursday, March 27, 2014 10:06 PM
  • No, it looks like this:

<Languages xmlns="">
        <Language code="en-US" />
        <Language code="hu-HU" />
      </Languages>

Thursday, March 27, 2014 10:08 PM
  • Hello,

I would like to re-resurect this thread as I have the exact same problem. I am disheartened to see that they it exists since 2013...

Besides the obvious Has-anyone-found-a-solution, I have a question. Here is the manifest below.

<DefaultLanguage xmlns="" code="en" />  <Languages xmlns="">
        <Language code="zh-Hans" />
        <Language code="pt" />
        <Language code="ru" />
        <Language code="es" />
      </Languages>

Let's say I change "es" for "es-MX" (Mexico), does that mean I also need to add "es-AR", "es-SP", etc. and fill in a description/screenshot/promo on a per country basis?

But otherwise, does anyone have a solution for that? The last activity was 6 weeks ago.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 4:26 AM
  • Let's say I change "es" for "es-MX" (Mexico), does that mean I also need to add "es-AR", "es-SP", etc. and fill in a description/screenshot/promo on a per country basis?

Yes, that's exactly what you need to do.

Eric Fleck, Windows Store and Windows Phone Developer Support. If you would like to provide feedback or suggestions for future improvements to the Windows Phone SDK please go to http://wpdev.uservoice.com/ where you can post your suggestions and/or cast your votes for existing suggestions.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 6:11 PM
  • Thank you for the clarification. However I would like to add my voice to previous posters who are hoping for a better solution. It would be nice if the store followed the same logic as the phones use.

Also, there are a lot of countries where spanish is the primary language and I am not looking forward to cut and pasting the description 20 times and uploading 100+ screenshots.

Alain-Daniel

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 6:31 PM