none
Questions about publishing games to the store. RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi,

Now that Epic have crushed the fee for publishing to a store, what is Microsoft going to do? I see that you've updated the fee schedule for applications, but you've left games at 30%. That fee is looking very repulsive when EGS charges 12%. Even Steams fees are better than that for the higher revenue brackets, and they have the extremely cheap flat fee of $100 for independents, though I'm not sure about the rules there.

Also, for apps, you allow developers to run campaigns from the web or from other stores and have a whole system to support it (CID's etc) but you block all that functionality and the associated lower fees for game developers. Why? You can't expect game developers to take the Microsoft store and importantly UWP seriously if you treat us like that. I need to be able to publish a UWP game on the web or on another store and it needs to be easily installable with a very low fee. I would like to see 5% fee for self marketed / other store marketed games (that still use the MS store backend as I understand it), and maybe 20% fee for full store published games. Doesn't that sound more reasonable. It's not like you're coming from a position of strength. The game development community has well and truly disregarded both UWP and the Microsoft store.

The Microsoft store is not very attractive for game development. Although I really like UWP and .net native and all the development side of things. Well, all except the lack of DirectX for C# out of the box. I can't see the store and UWP ever being used for game dev to any significant degree the way things are.

What can we expect in the next 12 to 24 months? Or is game development on UWP just doomed and never going anywhere?

Wednesday, May 1, 2019 5:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First, this is not a question about uploading your package to the store. Publishing Windows Store apps forum is not the right place to discuss about such feedback.

Second, for you questions, we also don't know about the plan that what will be released in the feature. The right channel for this is FeedBack Hub. You could find this in the Start Menu. FeedBack hub is more suitable for such issue and we are glad to hear your voice there.

Thank you for your patience.

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 2, 2019 9:34 AM