The following forum(s) are migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!

Ask new questions on Microsoft Q&A (Preview).
Interact with existing posts until December 13, 2019, after which content will be closed to all new and existing posts.

Learn More

none
[UWP]How to package and install a Windows Service with a Windows 10 UWP App RRS feed

• Question

• I've been messing around with the new UWP apps and am currently working on a design for a new app. Well, technically, a rewrite of an existing desktop application I wrote a while ago.

I created a Proof of Concept which includes the following components:

1. The UWP App
    2. A WCF Service Library
    3. A Windows Service which hosts the WCF service library

The idea is that the Windows Service will be processing what it needs to, even if the UWP app is not running. This is a requirement. When the app is running, it can communicate with the Service via the WCF Service library and change settings and other things. All this is working.

However, for this to actually work, when the user installs the app from the app store, the Windows Service will need to be nstalled and started on the machine.

I want to use the UWP app so it can be easily discovered and possibly monetized in the App Store 

How can I accomplish this? Thanks

Monday, June 8, 2015 6:44 PM

Answers

• Hmm.... So UWP would not be your best choice here.  One of the tenants of the UWP is that it is safe to install and cannot affect the system or other installed programs.  You are isolated from the system (for security reasons) and your design sounds like it is not a good candidate here.  You cannot install a global keyboard hook for what I think are obvious security reasons.  Thanks for trying though!  It just doesn't seem to fit within the restrictions of a typical Store App.

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

@jsandersrocks - Windows Store Developer Solutions @WSDevSol
    Getting Started With Windows Azure Mobile Services development? Click here
    Getting Started With Windows Phone or Store app development? Click here
    My Team Blog: Windows Store & Phone Developer Solutions
    My Blog: Http Client Protocol Issues (and other fun stuff I support)

Monday, June 8, 2015 8:25 PM

All replies