none
UWP Store App + Code Signing RRS feed

• Question

• I attempting to have a UWP app I created be distributed through the Microsoft Store for another company. The app will be private/hidden on the Store (only that company can download it). I currently upload the app via Partner Center. We have an Enterprise association that allows us to upload the UWP on their behalf. Their IT is asking us to Code Sign the app before they will approve it on their network. Everything I have read says that if you go through the Microsoft Store, Microsoft signs the app for you. Is this true? Also, whether it is true or not, can I please get sent some documentation on this? I only see documentation on certificates in regards to Sideloading.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 8:28 PM

All replies

• I attempting to have a UWP app I created be distributed through the Microsoft Store for another company. The app will be private/hidden on the Store (only that company can download it). Their IT is asking us to Code Sign the app before they will approve it on their network. Everything I have read says that if you go through the Microsoft Store, Microsoft signs the app for you. Is this true? Also, whether it is true or not, can I please get sent some documentation on this? I only see documentation on certificates in regards to Sideloading.
    Wednesday, November 20, 2019 4:13 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, Microsoft Store will sign your app automatically. But for your scenario, since you had an Enterprise association, there is a better solution. With the Organizational licensing options, your app can be offered for volume purchases through Microsoft Store for Business and Microsoft Store for Education in the Organizational licensing section of the Pricing and availability page of an app submission. It could also Allowing disconnected (offline) licensing, offline licensing allows organizations to acquire your app on a volume basis, and then install the app without requiring each device to contact the Store's licensing system. 

Best regards,

Roy

"Developing Universal Windows apps" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Developing Universal Windows apps" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 3:35 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. Can you please elaborate why you mentioned the 'Pricing and availability' in regards to my question about code signing? I don't see the relation.

Also, please answer these questions as well -- When you say the Microsoft Store is signing the app. Are you saying the App (post install) is signed? What about the installer (MSI), is that signed? Their IT is saying the installer (MSI) is not signed and they want it signed before they will allow it to be unblocked on their network. Side note -- I dont even know how they are getting an installer. I just assume the Store would install it for you?

If you are curious, we currently have these options set in the 'Pricing and availability':

Visibility: Line-of-business (LOB) distribution

Organizational licensing: Both options are checked --

• Microsoft Store-managed (online) volume licensing and distribution
    • Organization-managed (offline) licensing and distribution

Thursday, November 21, 2019 4:46 PM
  • Hi,

You said you had an Enterprise association, right? Only LOB distribution can make an Enterprise association. Do you distribute the app using private store now?

>>When you say the Microsoft Store is signing the app. Are you saying the App (post install) is signed?

Yes, the app is signed.

>> What about the installer (MSI), is that signed? Their IT is saying the installer (MSI) is not signed and they want it signed before they will allow it to be unblocked on their network.

I'm confused about this. Only desktop apps will be packaged in to msi package. When you package your UWP apps, there are three possible package type: 1)App Package (.msix or .appx), 2)App Bundle (.msixbundle or .appxbundle), 3)App Package Upload File (.msixupload or .appxupload).  Could you please ask the IT about how them could get the MSI installer?

Best regards,

Roy

"Developing Universal Windows apps" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "Developing Universal Windows apps" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)!

Friday, November 22, 2019 9:42 AM
  • Thanks for responding. Yes, we have an Enterprise association. Yes, we distributed the app using a private store. I will ask about the MSI. We uploaded via Partner Center with a .appxupload file. I have no clue where they received the MSI. 

Friday, November 22, 2019 2:45 PM
  • Hi,

I hope you are doing well! Are there any updates for this? Does the IT tell you about how they could get an MSI installer?

Best regards,

Roy

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 1:21 AM
  • Hello,

We have not had a chance to talk to their IT. We hope to have a chat with them next week.

I am completely guessing here, do you think maybe their IT is saying the installer is blocked when the Store is installing the app? So the installer the Store is running is the one actually being blocked? I am wondering if that is what they are referring to. I think they want that installer to be signed. Is that possible?

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 4:27 PM
  • Hi,

I'm sorry to say that I can't confirm this. It's possible but not sure. I still need more information from the IT.

Best regards,

Roy

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 5:11 AM
  • We finally chatted with their IT. They say the actual EXE that is getting installed is not signed. I guess I am confused. I thought you said Microsoft signed the app? Do we have to do something more to get the EXE signed?
    Friday, December 6, 2019 9:10 PM