Reuse old App Name in new App RRS feed

• Question

• We have 2 windows store apps in the dev center. Both are currently in the store but one is now deprecated. We want to use the app name from the deprecated app in the new app, however, i get the standard error "xyz is not available. Pick another name." 

How can i get around this issue, because it is preventing me from using the company name as the app name.

Cheers,

InstantReader

Wednesday, October 3, 2012 6:51 PM

Answers

• As per my understanding, you can't use the name which is already used by some other app. My suggestion would be (A) to update the app (deprecated) with new one. (B) Modify old app with in-app purchase and provide functionality available to new app as added functionality. OR (C) Add new app with V2, Pro or something like in it's name. For example. GMap and GMap Pro are available in Windows Phone Store.

Hope, this helps.

Mayur Tendulkar | http://blog.mayurtendulkar.com

• Proposed as answer by Mayur Tendulkar Friday, October 5, 2012 2:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by mark_1h Wednesday, October 10, 2012 7:26 PM
    Friday, October 5, 2012 2:05 AM

All replies

• As per my understanding, you can't use the name which is already used by some other app. My suggestion would be (A) to update the app (deprecated) with new one. (B) Modify old app with in-app purchase and provide functionality available to new app as added functionality. OR (C) Add new app with V2, Pro or something like in it's name. For example. GMap and GMap Pro are available in Windows Phone Store.

Hope, this helps.

Mayur Tendulkar | http://blog.mayurtendulkar.com

• Proposed as answer by Mayur Tendulkar Friday, October 5, 2012 2:05 AM
    • Marked as answer by mark_1h Wednesday, October 10, 2012 7:26 PM
    Friday, October 5, 2012 2:05 AM
  • Thanks Mayur. Those are great suggestions, and we may have to resort to them.

What i really need is the ability to delete an app that was delisted from the store months ago. That would release the primary 'app name' that i'd like to reuse. Subsequently reserved app names can be created and deleted freely however.

Cheers

Friday, October 5, 2012 3:37 PM
  • Please open a ticket with support so they can take a look at your developer account: getsupport.microsoft.com

-Eric

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 6:38 PM