The following forum(s) have migrated to Microsoft Q&A (Preview): Developing Universal Windows apps!
Visit Microsoft Q&A (Preview) to post new questions.

Learn More

How can i tell if the camera chooser returned Stream is a video or photo? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I was wondering if there was a way to tell if the Stream returned in the Camera chooser call back is a video or a photo? Thanks Daniel
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 12:25 AM

All replies

• Hi Daniel,

I haven't run a test to verify again, but as I recall when I had used the PhotoChooserTask before, it would only show photos as objects I could pick.  For the moment I believe you can assume that you will ONLY be getting a PhotoResult object back that will be a still image and nothing else.  If you've noticed that I'm not correct in this assertion please let me know.

Thanks,

~Jonathan Tanner [MSFT]
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 12:33 AM
  • Hi,

This is correct, the result from CameraCaptureTask is a stream for the photo. There's no video at the moment.. AR/video access is on the roadmap though for a future release.
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 12:37 AM
  • When you launch the camera chooser, the option to switch to video is disabled.

Furthermore, the class only specifies "photo", it doesn't say anything about video.

// Summary:  
            //     Gets the stream containing the data for the photo.  
            //  
            // Returns:  
            //     Type: System.IO.Stream. The data for the photo.  
            public Stream ChosenPhoto { getinternal set; }  
            //  
            // Summary:  
            //     Gets the file name of the photo.  
            //  
            // Returns:  
            //     Type System.String. The file name of the photo.  
            public string OriginalFileName { getinternal set; } 
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 12:43 AM
  • Hi,

This is correct, the result from CameraCaptureTask is a stream for the photo. There's no video at the moment.. AR/video access is on the roadmap though for a future release.
    In how long will they allow apps to take video ?? doesnt UStream do it??
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 1:03 AM
  • Hi,

In how long will they allow apps to take video ?? doesnt UStream do it??

There has been no announcement as yet, other than to mention it is on the radar.
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 1:06 AM