none
UWP on XBOX using DIAL and DLNA RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Microsoft,

We are developing a companion app using UWP for our mobile phone app.  Right now I'm focusing on the XBOX version of the UWP app.  Our app uses DIAL and so we want the UWP version to also use DIAL.  When testing on the XBOX in dev mode I am able to successfully launch our UWP app using DIAL. 

My questions are, will this also work in Retail XBOX mode?  In addition, we also use DLNA, so we have the UWP app registering as a DLNA renderer.  Will this also work in Retail XBOX mode?

We are using the following:
    Windows.Media.PlayTo.PlayToReceiver receiver; // for DLNA renderer
    and in our package manifest
    <Extensions>
            <uap:Extension Category="windows.dialProtocol">
              <uap:DialProtocol Name="dprotocolname"/>
            </uap:Extension>

Everything is working as we expect in XBOX Dev mode, but we want to make sure it will also work in XBOX retail mode once we release it.

We also need guidance on how to launch a DIAL install request for our DIAL id example "dprotocolname".  Will we be able to have that point to our Store page on the XBOX?  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/apps/hh464906(v=win.10) - under Dial Protocol.

Thank you,
    Dustin     

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 1:52 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I could not tell if the Xbox supports DIAL, because as the document mentions, it is not supported. I'm asking the Xbox team about this. There might be some time delay.

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 9:47 AM
  • Hi Roy.  I appreciate your reply and will await the reply from the XBOX team.

To note, again, everything in XBOX Dev mode is working as far as DIAL and DLNA in our app as expected.

If there is a restriction on the XBOX, I should confirm DIAL on the XBOX retail works to launch Netflix and YouTube.  If there is some sort of certification required to be able to use DIAL / Launch via some magic whitelist, our companion app on Roku went through a similar Roku certification process in order to even be allowed on a Roku and we would be able to endure a similar process for the XBOX.

I should also confirm the page I link to clearly states DIAL launch capability on the XBOX.  It says:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/apps/hh464906(v=win.10)

"

Dial protocol

If you are on a network device, you can use the DIAL protocol to launch applications on the Xbox One. If the application you are trying to run is not available, you can even use the DIAL network to install the application before running it.

"

Thank you for your time.

• Edited by neveroffline Sunday, June 23, 2019 11:11 AM added link, again
    Sunday, June 23, 2019 10:41 AM
  • Hi,

I haven't get confirm from the team. But I guess there might be such a process for it.

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 24, 2019 7:42 AM