none
WSUS Install Fails; There is a problem with this Windows Installer package.

Domanda

• I am trying to install WSUS on Windows Server 2003 R2 and the installer fails with the above error message.

The log files are shown here:

**** 2006-06-01 14:29:15  13:29:15   Executing External Command: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_regiis.exe -ir *****

***** 2006-06-01 14:29:26  13:29:26   External Command Exited, Return Code: 0 *****

Running a transacted installation.

Beginning the Install phase of the installation.
    See the contents of the log file for the C:\Program Files\Update Services\Setup\bin\Microsoft.UpdateServices.Setup.CustomActions.dll assembly's progress.
    The file is located at C:\Program Files\Update Services\LogFiles\WSUSCa_060601_1426.log.
    Installing assembly 'C:\Program Files\Update Services\Setup\bin\Microsoft.UpdateServices.Setup.CustomActions.dll'.
    Affected parameters are:
       categorymessagefile = C:\Program Files\Update Services\Common\EventCategories.dll
       logtoconsole =
       assemblypath = C:\Program Files\Update Services\Setup\bin\Microsoft.UpdateServices.Setup.CustomActions.dll
       showcallstack =
       logfile = C:\Program Files\Update Services\LogFiles\WSUSCa_060601_1426.log
       wsusinstall =
    Creating performance counter category WSUS: Reporting Web Service.

An exception occurred during the Install phase.
    System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
       at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
       at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
       at System.Int32.Parse(String s, IFormatProvider provider)
       at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.GetStringTable(Boolean isHelp)
       at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.get_NameTable()
       at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.get_CategoryTable()
       at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.CategoryExists(String machine, String category)
       at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterCategory.Create(String categoryName, String categoryHelp, PerformanceCounterCategoryType categoryType, CounterCreationDataCollection counterData)
       at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterInstaller.Install(IDictionary stateSaver)
       at System.Configuration.Install.Installer.Install(IDictionary stateSaver)
       at System.Configuration.Install.AssemblyInstaller.Install(IDictionary savedState)
       at System.Configuration.Install.TransactedInstaller.Install(IDictionary savedState)

The Rollback phase of the installation is beginning.
    See the contents of the log file for the C:\Program Files\Update Services\Setup\bin\Microsoft.UpdateServices.Setup.CustomActions.dll assembly's progress.
    The file is located at C:\Program Files\Update Services\LogFiles\WSUSCa_060601_1426.log.
    Rolling back assembly 'C:\Program Files\Update Services\Setup\bin\Microsoft.UpdateServices.Setup.CustomActions.dll'.
    Affected parameters are:
       categorymessagefile = C:\Program Files\Update Services\Common\EventCategories.dll
       logtoconsole =
       assemblypath = C:\Program Files\Update Services\Setup\bin\Microsoft.UpdateServices.Setup.CustomActions.dll
       showcallstack =
       wsusinstall =
    Restoring performance counter data to previous state for performance counter category WSUS: Reporting Web Service.
    An exception occurred during the Rollback phase of the System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterInstaller installer.
    System.ArgumentException: Cannot delete a subkey tree because the subkey does not exist.
       at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentException(ExceptionResource resource)
       at Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.DeleteSubKeyTree(String subkey)
       at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterInstaller.DoRollback(IDictionary state)
       at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterInstaller.Rollback(IDictionary savedState)
       at System.Configuration.Install.Installer.Rollback(IDictionary savedState)
    An exception occurred during the Rollback phase of the installation. This exception will be ignored and the rollback will continue. However, the machine might not fully revert to its initial state after the rollback is complete.

The Rollback phase completed successfully.

The transacted install has completed.

The uninstall is beginning.
    Uninstalling assembly 'C:\Program Files\Update Services\Setup\bin\Microsoft.UpdateServices.Setup.CustomActions.dll'.
    Affected parameters are:
       logtoconsole =
       showcallstack =
       wsusinstall =
    Removing performance counter category WSUS: Server Web Methods.
    An exception occurred during the uninstallation of the System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterInstaller installer.
    System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The configuration registry key is invalid
       at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.RegisterFiles(String arg0, Boolean unregister)
       at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.UnregisterCategory(String categoryName)
       at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterCategory.Delete(String categoryName)
       at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterInstaller.Uninstall(IDictionary savedState)
       at System.Configuration.Install.Installer.Uninstall(IDictionary savedState)
    An exception occurred while uninstalling. This exception will be ignored and the uninstall will continue. However, the application might not be fully uninstalled after the uninstall is complete.
    Removing performance counter category WSUS: Server Web Service.
    An exception occurred during the uninstallation of the System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterInstaller installer.
       at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.RegisterFiles(String arg0, Boolean unregister)
       at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.UnregisterCategory(String categoryName)
       at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterInstaller.Uninstall(IDictionary savedState)
    An exception occurred while uninstalling. This exception will be ignored and the uninstall will continue. However, the application might not be fully uninstalled after the uninstall is complete.
    Removing performance counter category WSUS: Client Web Service Methods.
    Removing performance counter category WSUS: Client Web Service.
    Removing performance counter category WSUS: Reporting Web Service.
    System.InvalidOperationException: Cannot delete Performance Category because this category is not registered or is a system category.

The uninstall has completed.

2006-06-01 14:26:53  Success   MWUSSetup          WSUS Server Setup Started.
    2006-06-01 14:26:53  Success   MWUSSetup          Parsing command line arguments
    2006-06-01 14:26:53  Success   MWUSSetup          WSUS Setup: Performing Install
    2006-06-01 14:26:54  Success   MWUSSetup          Validating pre-requisites
    2006-06-01 14:26:54  Success   MWUSSetup          .Net framework SP1 is detected on this machine
    2006-06-01 14:26:54  Success   MWUSSetup          Creating WSUS registry key
    2006-06-01 14:26:54  Success   MWUSSetup          Initializing installation details
    2006-06-01 14:26:54  Success   MWUSSetup          Initializing wizard
    2006-06-01 14:29:04  Error     MWUSSetup          GetProcAddress failed in SKU Check (Error 0x8007007F: The specified procedure could not be found.)
    2006-06-01 14:29:04  Error     MWUSSetup          GetSqlFlavor failed (Error 0x8007007F: The specified procedure could not be found.)
    2006-06-01 14:29:04  Error     MWUSSetup          Failed to determine Sql type of instance. Assuming it to be SQL... (Error 0x8007007F: The specified procedure could not be found.)
    2006-06-01 14:29:15  Success   MWUSSetup          Installing ASP.Net
    2006-06-01 14:29:26  Success   MWUSSetup          Asp.Net is installed successfully
    2006-06-01 14:29:26  Success   MWUSSetup          ASP.Net is installed successfully
    2006-06-01 14:29:26  Success   MWUSSetup          MSXML2 is already installed on this machine
    2006-06-01 14:29:26  Success   MWUSSetup          Installing WMSDE
    2006-06-01 14:30:29  Success   MWUSSetup          WMSDE Installed Successfully
    2006-06-01 14:30:31  Success   MWUSSetup          WMSDE is installed successfully
    2006-06-01 14:30:31  Success   MWUSSetup          Initializing MWUS installation
    2006-06-01 14:30:31  Success   MWUSSetup          Installing PSFSIP
    2006-06-01 14:30:31  Success   MWUSSetup          PSFSIP Installed Successfully
    2006-06-01 14:30:31  Success   MWUSSetup          Copying installation settings to the registry
    2006-06-01 14:30:31  Success   MWUSSetup          Installing MSUS...
    2006-06-01 14:30:31  Success   MWUSSetup          Installing MWUS With Command Line SETUP_EXE=1  WUS_INSTALLMODE="128" AUTHENTICATED_USERS="NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users" CONTENT_LOCAL="1" SQLINSTANCE_NAME="%computername%\WSUS" CUSTOMACTION_LOG="C:\Program Files\Update Services\LogFiles\WSUSCa_060601_1426.log" REPLICA_PARENT
    2006-06-01 14:30:32  Success   CustomActions.Dll  .Net framework path: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727
    2006-06-01 14:30:36  Success   CustomActions.Dll  Creating WSUS Administrators user group
    2006-06-01 14:30:36  Success   CustomActions.Dll  WSUS Administrators user group already exists
    2006-06-01 14:30:36  Success   CustomActions.Dll  Successfully created WSUS Administrators user group
    2006-06-01 14:31:24  Error     MWUSSetup          MWUS Installation Failed (Error 0x00000643: Fatal error during installation.)
    2006-06-01 14:31:24  Error     MWUSSetup          InstallMSUS failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)
    2006-06-01 14:31:24  Error     MWUSSetup          MWUS installation failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)
    2006-06-01 14:31:24  Error     MWUSSetup          PerformInstall failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)
    2006-06-01 14:31:24  Success   MWUSSetup          Rolling back Installation
    2006-06-01 14:31:24  Success   MWUSSetup          WSUS Server installation failed. You can look at C:\Program Files\Update Services\LogFiles\WSUSCa_060601_1426.log file to determine the cause of the failure
    2006-06-01 14:31:37  Success   MWUSSetup          WMSDE Uninstall Succeeded
    2006-06-01 14:31:37  Error     MWUSSetup          Failed to copy Setup\UninstallHelper.exe to C:\DOCUME~1\ADMINI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\1\UninstallHelper.exe (Error 0x80070003: The system cannot find the path specified.)
    2006-06-01 14:31:37  Success   MWUSSetup          Insert string: %1 For more information, see the Setup logs "%2" and "%3" .
    2006-06-01 14:31:37  Success   MWUSSetup          szErrorType: Microsoft Windows Server Update Services could not install WSUSService and the performance counters.
    2006-06-01 14:31:37  Success   MWUSSetup          ErrorLog: C:\Program Files\Update Services\LogFiles\WSUSCa_060601_1426.log
    2006-06-01 14:31:37  Success   MWUSSetup          StringObtained: Microsoft Windows Server Update Services could not install WSUSService and the performance counters. For more information, see the Setup logs "C:\Program Files\Update Services\LogFiles\WSUSCa_060601_1426.log" and "C:\Program Files\Update Services\LogFiles\WSUSSet

Any ideas what might be causing this?

giovedì 1 giugno 2006 13:32

Risposte

• In some threads on other sites I read about a problem with performance counters. And if you look in the logfiles & eventviewer something like that was mentioned (in my case it was).

The suggested solution was:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32> lodctr /R

to rebuild performance counter library.

It helped on my server (windows 2003 standard sp1)
    mercoledì 12 luglio 2006 21:01

Tutte le risposte

• I have the same problem since I updated my working WSUS with the new Service Pack 1 on Windows 2003 with SP1.  Even an uninstall, a complete remove of the db in SQL Server and the web service in IIS don’t help. Installing the previous version of WSUS generates the same error. I can't get WSUS to work any more and we need it, especially for all recent the security updates.

The first error in the log file is:

at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)

Freddy

giovedì 15 giugno 2006 23:04
  • In some threads on other sites I read about a problem with performance counters. And if you look in the logfiles & eventviewer something like that was mentioned (in my case it was).

mercoledì 12 luglio 2006 21:01
  • I had the same issue on my win2k server.  I uninstalled WSUS SP1 and reinstalled it and got the same error. 

On the WSUS server I manually ran a windows update for the server itself.  I selected "custom" nt express.  The in other software in the left panel select the Windows Installer.  Download and install the new installer.  Reboot and then re-install WSUS SP1 and error was gone.

Hope this helps.  Please post your results.

sssmith03

giovedì 20 luglio 2006 13:45
  • Thanks for the info, I got this error too and a Google search doesn't seem too useful. I'm going to try what sssmith03 suggest, and download the Windows Installer and then have another go at WSUS.

I'm running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise SP1.

Edit: I had no luck at all, it still just gives the same error, lets hope Microsoft can address this soon.

venerdì 21 luglio 2006 17:50
  • Hi Jani, I am sitting with the exact same problem as you. have you had any luck with what sssmith03 suggested?
    mercoledì 23 agosto 2006 08:38
  • The lodctr /R command worked for me, Thanks for the tip!

I was getting the following error on a w2k3sp1 server:

Unhandled Exception: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The configuration reg
    istry key is invalid
       at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.RegisterFiles(String machineName,
     String arg0, Boolean unregister)
       at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.UnregisterCategory(String machine
    Name, String categoryName)
       at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterCategory.DeleteCategory(String catego
    ryName, String machineName)

Thanks!

martedì 3 ottobre 2006 18:31
  • No, sorry. Still absolutely no luck. I've given up on WSUS now and just letting the clients all automatically update themselves. 
    domenica 15 ottobre 2006 12:40
  • This worked for me.  Thanks
    martedì 5 dicembre 2006 11:42
  • I had the same issue as well, and the "lodctr /R" fixed it for me, too. Thanks, gmork.
    martedì 27 febbraio 2007 20:39
  • Is the drive\folder the db is being created in compressed?

I traced the errors down into the SQL log and found this:

The file "x:\WSUS\\UpdateServicesDbFiles\SUSDB.mdf" is compressed but does not reside in a read-only database or filegroup. The file must be decompressed.Msg 1813, Level 16, State 2, Server \\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query,  Line 1

I'm currently uncompressing the drive (will take a while) and will attempt installation again...

• Proposto come risposta HSChronic domenica 27 marzo 2011 22:20
    giovedì 14 giugno 2007 21:29
  • Hi,

your suggestion C:\WINDOWS\system32> lodctr /R helped me to install WSUS 3.0 on 2003.

Thanks a lot

Kiran

giovedì 19 luglio 2007 05:14
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting this. Worked like a charm.

H
    lunedì 6 agosto 2007 19:01
  • I had the same error and solved it by just klik in the properties tab of the x:\wsus directory at the advanced button. Then uncheck  the box "Compress contents to save disk space". Now your drive is still compressed excluded the wsus directory and then it works.

Other tips are: disable your virusscanner, and check the box "enable Direct Metabase Edit" in the properties tab in IIS.

• Proposto come risposta Defianse martedì 20 aprile 2010 14:04
    lunedì 27 agosto 2007 22:51
  • Decompressing the "X:\WSUS" directory worked like a charm when all other suggestions failed.

Thanks,
    Doug

sabato 1 settembre 2007 03:31
  •  

Hallo gmork,

your suggestion "C:\WINDOWS\system32> lodctr /R" helped me to install WSUS 3.0 on W2K3 SP2.

I had error messages:

InstallWsus: MWUS Installation Failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)

and

in the log files

Thank you very much!

martedì 4 settembre 2007 13:20
  • Worked for me as well!! So glad I found your suggestion, thanks!

lunedì 1 ottobre 2007 20:26
  • Found such many articles about wsus30 instal failed, no solutions didn't really work untill i found your article and a simple cmd lodctr /R, thank you, thank you, thank you...., this saves me a lot of days

I'm wondering why there is nothing in relation of the microsoft tech sites about trying this cmd first before uninstalling etc...

How simple some solutions can be, thanks again, keep up the good work !!!

best regards,

Jos Hillenaar

lunedì 22 ottobre 2007 18:32
  • For me (WSUS 3, Win2k3 SP1) none of the above fixes worked.  I eventually had to uninstall the microsoft internal database, then delete the x:\wsus directory.  Luckilly I had this error on a dev wsus server, so it didn't suck too much.

giovedì 25 ottobre 2007 19:05
  • Thanks very much for the following command posted by gmork:

It did the trick on one of our Windows Server 2003 SP1 machines!

giovedì 25 ottobre 2007 20:29
  • Hi Everybody,

I am really stuck up...

I have planned SCCM on 32-bit, WSUS on 32-bit & SQL on 64-bit, all on seperate machines.

to start with sql is done. now when i try to install wsus with hosting its database on the sql server (this sql is planned to have one instance for shared for both sccm db & wsus db), i get the error & it doesnt succeed. My biggest fear is whether it would do same when i try sccm?

is sccm on 32 bit & wsus on 32 bit servers, supported with 64-bit SQL?

wsus install gives me the following errors:

Msg 18456, Level 14, State 1, Server C-SVSQL01,  Line 65536
    Login failed for user 'INTRANET\C-SVWSUS01$'.

then i made my wsus computer a/c a member of local admin of sql server, i also made it a sysadmin on sql

then i get foll. errors:

Changed database context to 'SUSDB'.
    Msg 15063, Level 16, State 1, Server C-SVSQL01,  Line 1
    The login already has an account under a different user name.Msg 15410, Level 11, State 1, Server C-SVSQL01, Procedure sp_addrolemember, Line 75
    User or role 'INTRANET\C-SVWSUS01$' does not exist in this database.

+

Property(S): ProductToBeRegistered = 1
    MSI (s) (C4:80) [22:06:56:608]: Note: 1: 1708
    MSI (s) (C4:80) [22:06:56:608]: Product: Microsoft Windows Server Update Services 3.0 -- Installation failed.

MSI (s) (C4:80) [22:06:56:608]: Cleaning up uninstalled install packages, if any exist
    MSI (s) (C4:80) [22:06:56:608]: MainEngineThread is returning 1603
    MSI (s) (C4:64) [22:06:56:718]: Destroying RemoteAPI object.
    MSI (s) (C4:24) [22:06:56:733]: Custom Action Manager thread ending.
    === Logging stopped: 11/15/2007  22:06:56 ===
    MSI (c) (78:8C) [22:06:56:733]: Decrementing counter to disable shutdown. If counter >= 0, shutdown will be denied.  Counter after decrement: -1
    MSI (c) (78:8C) [22:06:56:733]: MainEngineThread is returning 1603
    === Verbose logging stopped: 11/15/2007  22:06:56 ===

+

Success   CustomActions.Dll  Successfully created WSUS Administrators user group
    Success   CustomActions.Dll  Successfully created WSUS user groups
    Error MWUSSetup InstallWsus: MWUS Installation Failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)
    Error MWUSSetup CInstallDriver:Stick out tongueerformSetup: WSUS installation failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)
    Error MWUSSetup CSetupDriver::LaunchSetup: Setup failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)
    Error MWUSSetup DoInstall: Wsus setup failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)

Please help.............

giovedì 15 novembre 2007 17:01
  •  remisp wrote:

I had the same error and solved it by just klik in the properties tab of the x:\wsus directory at the advanced button. Then uncheck  the box "Compress contents to save disk space". Now your drive is still compressed excluded the wsus directory and then it works.

Other tips are: disable your virusscanner, and check the box "enable Direct Metabase Edit" in the properties tab in IIS.

Uncompressing the WSUS directory did the trick for me.  Props to remisp for figuring this out.
    • Proposto come risposta frapetti martedì 6 dicembre 2016 13:14
    lunedì 26 novembre 2007 21:13
  • LODCTR /R ...

worked like a champ!

giovedì 6 dicembre 2007 07:51
  • After working on and off on this problem I've finally resolved it. Hopefully I can help someone else out.

The following errors were logged in the WSUSSetup.log file after the installation failed.

2007-12-06 11:22:34  Error     MWUSSetup          InstallWsus: MWUS Installation Failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)
    2007-12-06 11:22:34  Error     MWUSSetup          CInstallDriver:: PerformSetup: WSUS installation failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)
    2007-12-06 11:22:34  Error     MWUSSetup          CSetupDriver::LaunchSetup: Setup failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)
    2007-12-06 11:23:40  Error     MWUSSetup          DoInstall: Wsus setup failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)

The install log files are saved in C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Temp. Along with the standard WSUSSetup.log and WSUSSetupmsi_%installdate%_%installtime%.log files I found one called WSUSCa_%installdate%_%installtime%.log. Looking at this file led me to the solution. The following line was at the end of the file:

Windows NT user or group 'IPG\WSUS Administrators' not found. Check the name again.
    Changed database context to 'master'.

On a hunch I checked in Active Directory Users and Computers and found the 'WSUS Administrators' and 'WSUS Reporters' users already existed (likely from an earlier failed installation). I deleted the accounts and the install worked fine.

I also tried the following before finding the solution so you should also try these solutions if you are still having problems:

- Install .NET 2.0 SP1 and .NET 3.0 SP1 (if applicable). Initially I attempted to install these updates via Windows Update but they both failed. I downloaded the Service Pack and applied them manually which worked - possibly this was the root cause of the whole problem.
    - Disable Anti-virus and try installation.
    - Confirm destination drive is not compressed.
    - Use the WSUS website rather than the Default Web Site (IIS) during install.
    - Stop IIS 'Default Website' and try to install.
    - Decompress installation files and try installation.
    - Confirm System account has full access to the local drive.
    - Try installing to a different drive.

giovedì 6 dicembre 2007 18:29
  • deleting the user accounts in AD worked for me.

It would be nice to have a kb article on this....took quite awhile to find an answer to this one.

Thanks for the post.

lunedì 24 dicembre 2007 06:18
  •  

worked for me

windows 2003 Enterprise SP2

Tthanks alot

giovedì 17 gennaio 2008 13:28
  •  

Mine was solved by deleting a user account out of SQL.  I moved the database from one SQL server instance to another on a server.  There was an error (see below) that lead me to delete and WSUS accounts within SQL.  After deleting it the install worked like a champ.

Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Server SERVER, Procedure sp_revokedbaccess, Line 51
    Cannot drop the user 'INSITEMS\WSUS Administrators', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.
    Msg 15151, Level 16, State 1, Server SERVER, Procedure sp_revokedbaccess, Line 51
    Cannot drop the user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE', because it does not exist or you do not have permission.
    Msg 15063, Level 16, State 1, Server SERVER,  Line 1
    The login already has an account under a different user name.

Thanks for everyone's help

• Proposto come risposta jgarbe giovedì 21 giugno 2012 05:41
    venerdì 8 febbraio 2008 20:16
  • Hey I know this post is old but I have a fixed for this issue.

If you have tried to install WSUS 3.0 on the Win2003 and got the installation error, you will need to go to the directory where the .mdf and .ldf files were placed in on the server. Delete them and then go back a folder to C: or D: \WSUS\UpdateServicesDbFiles. Right click on the UpdateServiceDbFiles folder, choose properties, click the Advanced button and uncheck Compress contents to save disk space (also choose this folder and all subfolders).

Last right-click the WSUS installation program uncheck Run this program with restricted access and then click OK.

Now it should install. Good Luck!

venerdì 8 febbraio 2008 20:54
  • Greate!

%windir%\system32\lodctr /R

Also worked for Me!

Thanks once again.

venerdì 4 aprile 2008 11:01
  • I was looking for a fix for this error and chanced upon this page. The compressed NTFS drive containing the WSUS folder was the cause of my problems so uncompressing it solved the problem. Thanks to whoever mentioned that first.

I noticed that if the install is on the database section when it fails, there is a good chance that this is what is causing the problem.

I think Microsoft could build something into the installer that checks if the target folder is compressed, as I am sure a lot of people will have done the same as me and put compression on their data drives. That way the installer could either warn you that this needs uncompressing before the install can start. Better still, warn you that the folder is compressed and that the setup program is going to selectively uncompress the database folders and that this may take a long while please be patient ... yada yada!

Thanks again for leading me to a fix!

Siv

sabato 5 aprile 2008 17:10
  • Thanks to LostKiwi for his info.
    The following steps worked for me.

- Deleted 'WSUS Administrators' and 'WSUS Reporters' groups using Active Directory Users and Computers
    - Disables AntiVirus Software
    - stopped and restarted IIS Default website.
    lunedì 7 aprile 2008 01:17
  • Having found a fix to this problem in this thread and managing to get the WSUS windows update to install on one of my SBS 2003 boxes (the fix was to uncompress the WSUS folder) I am now getting a problem with the Performance Reports.  When the performance report arrived this morning I get this:

The page cannot be displayed

An error occurred on the page you are trying to view.

To work around this problem, perform the following steps. After each step, try again to access the page.

• Ensure that the MSSQL$SBSMONITORING service is started.
    • Ensure that the server is not low on memory or disk space.
    • Restart the server.
    • Verify that the server is functional and that there are no system-wide problems.
    • Run the Set Up Monitoring Reports and Alerts task in the Server Management Monitoring and Reporting taskpad.

I went through each of the steps with no luck.  I have now done the last step and reinstalled the "Monitoring Reports and Alerts" via server management and now at least when I click on the link it gives me something other than the above error but because I had toi re-install the components there is no data to create the report so I am still not 100% sure it has worked.

I will have to see what arrives in my inbox tomorrow morning.

I think this update needs pulling and some more testing done on it as it seems to be screwing a lot of installations.  In my case it came as part of WIndows Update!

martedì 8 aprile 2008 09:22
  • Uncompressing the WSUS folders did the trick for me on this error.  Thank you for this thread.

-BP

martedì 6 maggio 2008 19:04
  • This worked for me, finally. Although I did a lot of the other recommended tips first, it was only until I ran the "Lodctr /R" command that I could fully install WSUS 3.0 SP1.

TY

giovedì 15 maggio 2008 02:44
  • Im still having issues trying to install WSUS.  It was previously installed on this server but someone uninstalled it.

When trying to reinstall i get this error:

Windows Server Update Services 3.0 could not install WSUSService and the performance counters. For more information, see the Setup logs

The logs show this:

2008-05-21 11:22:08  Error     MWUSSetup          InstallWsus: MWUS Installation Failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)
    2008-05-21 11:22:08  Error     MWUSSetup          CInstallDriver:Stick out tongueerformSetup: WSUS installation failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)
    2008-05-21 11:22:08  Error     MWUSSetup          CSetupDriver::LaunchSetup: Setup failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)
    2008-05-21 12:14:04  Error     MWUSSetup          DoInstall: Wsus setup failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)

I have tried

locdtr /R
    drive was never compressesd
    unsinalling / reinstalling IIS
    uninstalled windows internal database
    AD groups exist, can't really delete them since we have other WSUS servers in our business
    install on a different drive
    reload windows counters

Nothing works...

any other suggestions would be great.  Server is Windows Server 2003 SP2

mercoledì 21 maggio 2008 05:36
  • Superb! Your submitted fix is still working 2 years down the line! Thanks
    martedì 24 giugno 2008 16:00
  • Awesome!!! Thank you so much, this has plagued me for a while now.

Removing the COMPRESSION on the drive and the WSUS folder worked like a charm!

Thanks again...
    martedì 24 giugno 2008 16:16
  • Hi,

I had the same problem on WSUS 3.0 on Windows 2003 SP2. Rebuilding the performance library with this command helped. My WSUS is purring like a kitten now.

Thanks

Solovapor

mercoledì 25 giugno 2008 08:42
  • Hey everyone, I ran the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility and removed the WSUS.  Then I was able to install WSUS...

Worth a try...

mercoledì 20 agosto 2008 17:39
  • rrrr i'm still getting this error. I have tried everything in this thread....

here is the latest log

2008-08-21 10:39:05  Success   MWUSSetup          Validating pre-requisites...
    2008-08-21 10:39:05  Error     MWUSSetup          Failed to determine if an higher version of WSUS is installed. Assuming it is not... (Error 0x80070002: The system cannot find the file specified.)
    2008-08-21 10:39:31  Success   MWUSSetup          Initializing installation details
    2008-08-21 10:39:31  Success   MWUSSetup          Installing ASP.Net
    2008-08-21 10:40:10  Success   MWUSSetup          ASP.Net is installed successfully
    2008-08-21 10:40:10  Success   MWUSSetup          wYukon is already installed on this machine
    2008-08-21 10:40:10  Success   MWUSSetup          Installing WSUS...
    2008-08-21 10:40:13  Success   CustomActions.Dll  The system language ENA is not supported. Using English resources...
    2008-08-21 10:40:14  Success   CustomActions.Dll  Successfully set propery of WSUS admin groups' full names
    2008-08-21 10:40:14  Success   CustomActions.Dll  .Net framework path: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727
    2008-08-21 10:40:48  Success   CustomActions.Dll  Creating user group: WSUS Reporters with Description: WSUS Administrators who can only run reports on the Windows Server Update Services server.
    2008-08-21 10:40:48  Success   CustomActions.Dll  Creating WSUS Reporters user group
    2008-08-21 10:40:48  Success   CustomActions.Dll  WSUS Reporters user group already exists
    2008-08-21 10:40:48  Success   CustomActions.Dll  Successfully created WSUS Reporters user group
    2008-08-21 10:40:48  Success   CustomActions.Dll  Creating user group: WSUS Administrators with Description: WSUS Administrators can administer the Windows Server Update Services server.
    2008-08-21 10:40:48  Success   CustomActions.Dll  Creating WSUS Administrators user group
    2008-08-21 10:40:48  Success   CustomActions.Dll  WSUS Administrators user group already exists
    2008-08-21 10:40:48  Success   CustomActions.Dll  Successfully created WSUS Administrators user group
    2008-08-21 10:40:48  Success   CustomActions.Dll  Successfully created WSUS user groups
    2008-08-21 10:43:50  Success   CustomActions.Dll  CopyADMFile:The system locale ENA is not supported. Using English...
    2008-08-21 10:45:03  Info      IISCustomAction    Performing Setup Action, Command /Install
    2008-08-21 10:45:35  Info      IISCustomAction    Command /Install Succeeded
    2008-08-21 10:46:09  Info      IISCustomAction    Performing Setup Action, Command /Rollback
    2008-08-21 10:46:22  Info      IISCustomAction    Command /Rollback Succeeded
    2008-08-21 10:46:53  Error     MWUSSetup          InstallWsus: MWUS Installation Failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)
    2008-08-21 10:46:53  Error     MWUSSetup          CInstallDriver:Stick out tongueerformSetup: WSUS installation failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)
    2008-08-21 10:46:53  Error     MWUSSetup          CSetupDriver::LaunchSetup: Setup failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)

any suggestions?
    giovedì 21 agosto 2008 01:08
  • All I could find was this article on granting Sys Admin permissions to SQL server:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920660

Don't know if this work-around has been suggested elsewhere in this thread, sorry if it already has.
    giovedì 21 agosto 2008 14:57
  • Had the problem that the install has failed as well.

My Fix-Turn off Mcafee and all the Mcafee Services as well. (Or your Virus Protection) Go into add/remove Programs and remove Windows Internal Database (Part of 3.0 that didn't load properly causing the erorr) Then reinstall 3.0. The Windows Internal Database will get re-installed.

venerdì 26 settembre 2008 16:22
  • Try uninstalling the Windows Internal Dataase. Then re-install. This fix worked for me.

venerdì 26 settembre 2008 16:25
  • Fantastic!!! Thanks a lot...

Make sure that the DATA drive is not compressed!!!!

giovedì 6 novembre 2008 07:05
  •  

If by chance your prior attempts created a SUSDB database (in SQL 2005) on the same server you are installing or different server, you have to go through the appropriate steps (or your SQL admin does) to take that SUSDB out of commission and delete the mdb and ldb files.   Wsussetup.exe will refuse to overwrite an existing Sql 2005 mdb and ldb. And the installation will fail blaming the installation package instead of the real 'problem'.
    mercoledì 19 novembre 2008 16:54
  • for this error "Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation."

Running:

regsvr32 scrrun.dll

fixed my issue.

Also try to install this:

Windows Script 5.6 for Windows Server 2003

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=887fce82-e3f5-4289-a5e3-6cbb818623aa&DisplayLang=en

• Proposto come risposta Schrode mercoledì 2 novembre 2011 16:09
    mercoledì 19 novembre 2008 21:42
  • "lodctr /R" finally fixed it for me!  Thanks much!
    martedì 25 novembre 2008 16:00
  • This information helped along with a couple of the other posts.

Checked Active Directory for WSUS Administrators and WSUS Reporters and deleted the groups

Decompressed the WSUS folder on the destination drive

Ran "lodctr /R"

After these steps, WSUS 3.0 installed correctly

Thanks

sabato 6 dicembre 2008 22:03
  • I had a mess... 3.0 (non sp1) was broke and would not uninstall. 3.0 SP1 nor 3.0 (non sp1) would not install.

I tried all these in this order.

- Stopped any running WSUS services

- Used the Windows Install Clean Up tool to remove WSUS

- Removed any registry entries for Update Services I could find (Removed services, Uninstall, etc)

- Deleted the c:\program Files\Update Services directory

- Tried to Uninstall the Windows Internal Database (failed for me)

- Used the Windows Install Clean Up tool to remove SQL 2005

- Cleaned out any Windows SQL 2005 entries in the registry relating to it's Instance (i don't have SQL on this server otherwise).

- removed the c:\program Files\Microsoft SQL * directories

- Deleted any WSUS directories that I could find.

- did the lodctr /R thingy (don't think I needed to)

- Deleted the WSUS * groups from active directory.

- Ran the 3.0 SP1 installation again and it finished!!

- I did NOT have to reboot the Server at any time and even though it said I had to reboot at the end of the installation I have not yet and my WSUS is working.

Good luck - Dan

mercoledì 10 dicembre 2008 21:12
  • In the case that you are reinstalling WSUS and using an external database server, the issue is caused by the old db files created in the DB server. WSUS will try to create new files using the same filename, and this will trigger the error.

Delete the old db files or store them in a different location so that you can restore them later.
    venerdì 6 marzo 2009 16:13
  • For me, the solution was a little more complex than "lodctr /R".

I run WSUS on port 8530, and somewhere along the line the C:\Inetpub\wwwroot directory disappeared.  I recreated this and the next installation I performed worked successfully.

I should note that prior to recreating this directory, I manually deleted my existing "WSUS Administration" Web Site and "WsusPool" Application Pool.  Although, I'm not sure that had a direct impact on fixing the problem.
    venerdì 30 ottobre 2009 16:24
  • Running Windows 2008 Enterprise Edition x32 Bit

Upgrade from WSUS SP1 to SP2 was failing with the same error as above.

Running C:\WINDOWS\system32> lodctr /R

Resovled the issue :)

Thanks
    giovedì 5 novembre 2009 08:49
  • Thank you for the info - the lodctr /R command worked like a charm!

martedì 8 dicembre 2009 20:05
  • For all those who are having problems try TPORTER1911 solution it worked like a charm I was so fustrated.

Hey I know this post is old but I have a fixed for this issue.

If you have tried to install WSUS 3.0 on the Win2003 and got the installation error, you will need to go to the directory where the .mdf and .ldf files were placed in on the server. Delete them and then go back a folder to C: or D: \WSUS\UpdateServicesDbFiles. Right click on the UpdateServiceDbFiles folder, choose properties, click the Advanced button and uncheck Compress contents to save disk space (also choose this folder and all subfolders).

Last right-click the WSUS installation program uncheck Run this program with restricted access and then click OK.

Now it should install. Good Luck!

• Proposto come risposta SJamshaid martedì 2 marzo 2010 09:40
    venerdì 8 gennaio 2010 22:18
  • In my situation - the deletion of old files helps - the reinstall of WSUS couldn't create the databases with SQL because the old database files were still in place...the sitation that brought this reinstall to be required was that the domain my ConfigMgr server was sat in got ripped apart - orphaning the Site Server (which hosts SQL & WSUS too)

Fun and games as always - thanks to all forum members for the suggestions!
    lunedì 15 marzo 2010 13:37

The file "x:\WSUS\\UpdateServicesDbFiles\SUSDB.mdf" is compressed but does not reside in a read-only database or filegroup. The file must be decompressed.Msg 1813, Level 16, State 2, Server \\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query ,  Line 1

I'm currently uncompressing the drive (will take a while) and will attempt installation again...

Thanks very much!  I wasted days on this!

• Modificato Defianse martedì 20 aprile 2010 14:09 Removed email address in signature
    martedì 20 aprile 2010 14:09
  • I am running Windows Server 2008 SP2 x64 and encountered the same error as the OP. I turned off disk compression on the hard drive that I was trying to install WSUS on and the error went away during the installation.

However, I am getting others error after the installation now and will have to fight through those as well... 

mercoledì 7 luglio 2010 16:05

That worked for me.  I was having problems with the "Renaissance Messaging Upload Service".

Service cannot be started. System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.

at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
      at System.Int32.Parse(String s, IFormatProvider provider)
      at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.GetStringTable(Boolean isHelp)
      at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.get_NameTable()
      at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.get_CategoryTable()
      at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.CategoryExists(String machine, String category)
      at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterCategory.Exists(String categoryName, String machineName)
      at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterCategory.Exists(String categoryName)
      at Renlearn.Messaging.Mail.MailUploader.PerformanceCounters.CreateCounters()
      at Renlearn.Messaging.Mail.MailUploader.MailUploaderWindowsService.OnStart(String[] args)
      at ...

lunedì 19 luglio 2010 19:14
  • Very Helpful, it was my solution after scratching my head for couple of days.

mercoledì 1 settembre 2010 17:11
  • Hello all,

It looks like this post is still active, I have just run into an issue with the print server here, it started to flake out over the past week, I checked the logs and get

Source: LoadPerf

Event Id: 3012

The performance strings in the Performance registry value is corrupted when process Performance extension counter provider. BaseIndex value from Performance registry is the first DWORD in Data section, LastCounter value is the second DWORD in Data section, and LastHelp value is the third DWORD in Data section.

0000:0000073 00000000 00000000 00000309

I found the fix advertised here and in the technet.  so I ran " lodctr /R"  Now the computer fails to boot.

It gets to the "applying computer settings" and just sits there... I thought it needed time to think so I went off and worked on something else, upon coming back after an hour it was still there.  the only way to get it to boot is to start it up in safe mode.

Any suggestions?

giovedì 16 settembre 2010 02:51
  • It also works on Windows Server 2008 R2

Thx

mercoledì 5 gennaio 2011 09:49
  • it works thanks !!

mercoledì 23 marzo 2011 00:53

The file "x:\WSUS\\UpdateServicesDbFiles\SUSDB.mdf" is compressed but does not reside in a read-only database or filegroup. The file must be decompressed.Msg 1813, Level 16, State 2, Server \\.\pipe\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE\sql\query,  Line 1

thanks for this. I forgot about compressed folders.
    domenica 27 marzo 2011 22:22
  • lodctr /R WORKED FOR ME ON WINDOWS 2008 R2 WSUS 3.0 SP2

martedì 12 aprile 2011 16:54

Thanks its helped me lot.
    giovedì 19 maggio 2011 10:48
  • Thank you! This worked for me :o)
    martedì 28 giugno 2011 07:45

Thanks this save me. But I still have to execute this procedure and after execute "lodctr /R". Then I finally have able to install the WSUS with no problem.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sus/archive/2008/11/05/how-to-manually-remove-all-of-wsus.aspx

giovedì 18 agosto 2011 16:16
  • THANK YOU , WORK´s FINE !.
    martedì 4 ottobre 2011 09:52
  • Rakem, THANK YOU!!! I have had this issue for over a year on 2008 systems that have had our GP applied at any point. Ran "regsvr32 scrrun.dll" and fixed it! I cannot thank you enough!

• Modificato Schrode mercoledì 2 novembre 2011 16:09
    mercoledì 2 novembre 2011 16:08

Thank you so much, I was constantly getting the error 0x80070643 The Installer has failed.

And stupidly I had enabled the Drive Compression function of NTFS because this drive was going to be used for junk files.

All I needed to do was Right Click the x:\WSUS Folder go to Properties.

Click the Advanced Button on the General Tab.

Then Untick "Compress Contents to Save Disk Space"

This has allowed me to keep the Compression for the drive on but just exclude the WSUS Folder.

I have now successfully installed WSUS on Server 2008 R2.

Thanks

Brett Smith
    One IT Services

• Proposto come risposta One IT NZ venerdì 9 marzo 2012 01:47
    venerdì 9 marzo 2012 01:47

• Count me among those that had stale database and database log files [after] uninstalling WinDB.

WSUS was failing to install because it tries to install WinDB, when that fails it bubbles up and fails the WSUS installation as well.

Here are the error messages:

C:\Users\ADMINI~1.AGN\AppData\Local\Temp\WSUSSetup.log

2012-03-26 21:04:56  Error     MWUSSetup          The process ocsetup "WSSEE" /quiet /norestart returned error: 0x643 (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)

2012-03-26 21:04:56  Error     MWUSSetup          ExecCmd failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)

2012-03-26 21:04:56  Error     MWUSSetup          Install Windows Internal database: Failed to execute "ocsetup "WSSEE" /quiet /norestart" (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)

2012-03-26 21:04:56  Error     MWUSSetup          CInstallDriver::PerformSetup: Installation of wYukon failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)

2012-03-26 21:04:56  Error     MWUSSetup          CSetupDriver::LaunchSetup: Setup failed (Error 0x80070643: Fatal error during installation.)

Fix Validated by:

1. Attempting to install WinDB by itself

[System manager]

Features
    Add Features
    Windows Internal Database
    Installation unsuccessful

WinDB setup log message:

Error Code: 28111
    MSI (s) (9C!2C) [21:19:30:271]: Product: Windows Internal Database -- Error 28111. SQL Server Setup cannot write system databases to C:\Windows\SYSMSI\SSEE\MSSQL.2005\MSSQL\Data\, because it contains files from a previous installation. To continue, move the databases from the specified folder, or specify a different installation folder. Then run SQL Server Setup again.

Removed

C:\Windows\SYSMSI\SSEE\MSSQL.2005\MSSQL\Data\ and \LOGS directories

2. Reinstalled WSUS 3.0 SP2

Roles
    Add Roles
    Windows Server Update services

Installation successful

• Modificato jwillis84 martedì 27 marzo 2012 03:11
    martedì 27 marzo 2012 02:54
  • I tried both lodctr /R and folder decompression.

Result? Yes installation was successfull :) but don't ask me which one really fixed the issue because I have no idea but I can say 90% "lodctr /R" command :) 

giovedì 12 aprile 2012 14:18
  • Hi morinic,
    running Windows 2003 I had the same problem (MSG 15151) after a problem with cyclic returning dotnet updates which finally made me de/reinstall the whole dotnet system.
    As a consequence the still installed WSUS did't function anymore.
    I tried the different procedures like "lodctr /R", restarting the IIS and others but nothing worked for me - so I decided to de/reinstall WSUS (keeping the databases...).
    Doing so I ran in the same problems and WSUS won't install (the latest WSUS SP2 package as offline update).
    The WSUS folders were not compressed and I deleted the WSUS-Users in AD.

My final solution was to de/reinstall the internal database (thanks all of you for your hints!), but the disadvantage was, that the whole WSUS database was build up from scratch...

So, dear morinic, it would be fine, if you would tell me how (please in detail) you deleted the WSUS-users out of the internal database using sql - because I think that would have prevented the rebuild of the WSUS adatbase?

Thanks in advance

giovedì 21 giugno 2012 05:42

Jim, in 2012, running 2008r2, still the same.. uncompressed the folder after a faulty install, restarted the installation and works like a charm !! 500 kudo's for you !
    how simple can a solution be (yet again) But no where a solution is to be found...

I agree with Jos, who states there is no comment on this on any MS tech site.. One would think it should be in prerequisites.. 'What to know BEFORE you start installing..'

Thanks again !!

mercoledì 8 agosto 2012 14:11
  • I had this same issue -- disabled file compression on the drive for the WSUS updates to reside, fixed it.  (This was after I did the lodctr /R)

Hope this helps someone.

sabato 8 settembre 2012 05:05
  • lodctr /r worked for me.

Could not reinstall WSUS after uninstall/reboot.

Server 2008 R2 SP1, WSUS 3 SP2.

Started having trouble pushing updates to clients, uninstalled WSUS 3, rebooted, lodctr /f, reinstalled WSUS 3, applied KB2720211, replaced WSUSSignDb.cer, WSUSSignDb.dll and WSUSSignDb.sql (as outlined here by Chucker2). Server passing out updates again.

domenica 10 febbraio 2013 02:57
  • Excellent! it worked for Windows 7 machine for me!

-Pravin

lunedì 7 ottobre 2013 10:02
  • LODCTR /R ...

Worked for me.. Thanks a lot.

martedì 24 dicembre 2013 15:23
  • The C:\WINDOWS\system32> lodctr /R suggestion did *not* work for me.

Just for background, a working WSUS installation became corrupted somehow (clients no longer reporting in, but GPO hadn't changed, other clients checking in but not supplying status, etc.).  First approach was a simple remove/reinstall ... the removal went fine, but reinstalling, keeping logs, downloaded updates, database etc. kept producing the "problem with this Windows installer package" message.  Re-downloading the installation file didn't change, and my initial search led me here.

What DID work for me was this:

1. Reinstalled to a different volume (this installation actually worked) ... took all default options
    2. Removed (did not run through initial configuration Wizard, etc.)
    3. Reinstalled to original location ... again, no errors
    4. Removed from original location (just to make sure the original removal didn't miss anything, which was what I suspected may have triggered the problem with the reinstall in the first place)
    5. Finally, reinstalled to original location (again, no errors), kept all existing files and database.

Everything seems to be working now.

mercoledì 12 marzo 2014 12:33