none
BitLocker after ubuntu updating RRS feed

• Domanda

• I could not access my windows laptop after I updating Ubuntu. I did not backup my recovery key before Ubuntu updating as I thought updating would not affect to Windows 10 booting.

I try to recover the key from Microsoft account. I can find the option of getting bit locker recovery key. But to login from my mobile, I needed to update security information. 

I got this message, "You can't access this site right now

This site requires a security code to sign in. When your security info updates on 3/5/2020 you will be able to access this site. You can still access sites such as Outlook and Skype that don't require a security code.

On 2/4/2020 you requested that your security info be replaced." 

I try to contact to Microsoft agent, but there is no way I can contact to Microsoft to discuss my account.

Now I have 2 options

1) getting a key from my account. But I cannot wait for 1 month.

- Also, I am not sure whether I saved a bitlocker key online. I saved into USB. Some posts I found on the web, with the account-login, Bit locker key is automatically uploaded.

2)Reset my windows, but I will lose some of my documents that have not been backed up yet.

giovedì 6 febbraio 2020 01:30

Risposte

• 1) I waited for 1 month to see whether my recovery key was uploaded or not. The recovery key was not uploaded.

2)I try to take out hashed passwords, but while processing, it was freeze.

3) I successfully access back up drive through 4) methods.

4) I reset my bios by discharging battery. (o) it successfully get bit locker recovery away.

5) I saved my passwords to safe place that I will not lose.

• Contrassegnato come risposta Thesunandson sabato 28 marzo 2020 12:12
    sabato 28 marzo 2020 12:12

Tutte le risposte

• giovedì 6 febbraio 2020 08:24
    Moderatore
  • Thanks Guido

I have already used Microsoft community, but I have not had any answers yet.

I may use the second link. Ubuntu community.

I was wondering if i was  to use bios reset.: Completely discharging BIOS and re-connecting BIOS. May this help to bypass Bitlocker recovery?

Also, I am not sure whether I saved a bitlocker key online. I saved into USB. Some posts I found on the web, with the account-login, Bit locker key is automatically uploaded.

I have other USBs that have been bitlocker protected. Recovery key would be one of them as well. But since I did not use them and set difficult passwords, I also lost my backup drive. But I think my backup drive would be ok to be recovered with password crackers as I remember my passwords but do not remember exactly.

martedì 11 febbraio 2020 02:42
  • Thanks Guido

I have already used Microsoft community, but I have not had any answers yet.

I may use the second link. Ubuntu community.

I was wondering if i was  to use bios reset.: Completely discharging BIOS and re-connecting BIOS. May this help to bypass Bitlocker recovery?

Also, I am not sure whether I saved a bitlocker key online. I saved into USB. Some posts I found on the web, with the account-login, Bit locker key is automatically uploaded.

I have other USBs that have been bitlocker protected. Recovery key would be one of them as well. But since I did not use them and set difficult passwords, I also lost my backup drive. But I think my backup drive would be ok to be recovered with password crackers as I remember most of passwords but do not remember a little bit.

Sorry, I don't know Ubuntu. This is Where-Is-Forum. If you didn't get an answer in Microsoft Community yet, you should ask in the ubuntu forum.

Regards, Guido

martedì 11 febbraio 2020 07:12
    Moderatore
  • Thanks Guido

I would use Ubuntu forum whether I could revert update. Belows are lists I would do.

1) I may wait for 1 month to find whether my Bitlocker recovery key has automatically been updated into my account even though I did not upload. If it has been uploaded, it would be fine.

2) In the mean time, I try to recover my backup drives which are also bitlocker protected. I remember passwords but not exactly. If I recover backup drives , I may find bitlocker recovery key in the backup drives.

3)Even though I could not get recovery key from my account online, I may recover most documents if I successfully access my Backup drives.

4)I may reset my bios so that Windows would not ask for bit locker recovery.

5) After I successfully recover, I may need to find secure places to save my important passwords. 

sabato 15 febbraio 2020 19:05
  • 1) I waited for 1 month to see whether my recovery key was uploaded or not. The recovery key was not uploaded.

2)I try to take out hashed passwords, but while processing, it was freeze.

3) I successfully access back up drive through 4) methods.

4) I reset my bios by discharging battery. (o) it successfully get bit locker recovery away.

5) I saved my passwords to safe place that I will not lose.

• Contrassegnato come risposta Thesunandson sabato 28 marzo 2020 12:12
    sabato 28 marzo 2020 12:12