How can I make the text searchable from a Visio 2016 Diagram that i have published to my website? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have a Visio 2016 Diagram that I have published to my web-site using the built in 'Save as' - 'Web Page' function. 

However, when on my web-site, none of the text on the Diagram is searchable when using Ctrl - F. Which is inconvenient, as this was to be the main use of the web-site,

Does anyone know of a way around this? 

Whether it be a plug-in to make it searchable, or different way to publish the diagram, or something completely different.

Thanks

Barney

Thursday, July 19, 2018 9:02 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Barney, 

I also cannot make the text searchable in Visio web page (.html). Not sure if this is a limitation for exported Visio web page file.

I also export the file to PDF file format, then open it in Microsoft Edge, I can search the shape text in PDF properly. Maybe you can consider to use PDF as a workaround. 

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, July 20, 2018 8:43 AM
  • You could give a try to my Visio publishing extension
    http://unmanagedvisio.com/products/svg-publish/

it produces SVG, so Ctrl+F should also work:

-- Nikolay Belyh, http://unmanagedvisio.com

Sunday, July 22, 2018 7:28 AM
  • Barney,

Not sure if this would help for websites, but I found a work-around if you need to make a Microsoft Visio a searchable document in Microsoft Word. Seems like a big company like Microsoft would create this functionality. You have to export the file to an Adobe PDF and then export the file to MS Word.

Directions

While you have the Visio file open, click on File, click on Export, click on Create PDF/XPS, click on Publish. The PDF should immediately open after the converting the file. If you have Adobe Acrobot Pro DC, click on Tools, click on Open under Export PDF, click Export for Word Document and walla, you have a searchable Visio in Microsoft Word. Hope this helps.

Gus

Wednesday, July 22, 2020 10:17 PM