none
Microsoft Edge mouse input through input transparent form stopped working in web content (after Windows 10 Creators Update?) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I've been working with an inherited windows forms project that essentially uses an input transparent form that the user can overlay over their normal desktop processes.

A user very recently reported an issue that they cannot interact with just the web content of microsoft edge when clicking through the form, but can interact with the search bar, browser controls etc.. 

I did a bit of searching and came across this post: 

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/43388616/microsoft-edge-mouse-input-stopped-working-in-web-content-after-windows-10-creat#comment77438095_43388616

Where the user seemed to have the identical issue to me, highlighting that it was using the 

Extended Window Styles
    WS_EX_LAYERED | WS_EX_NOACTIVATE | WS_EX_TRANSPARENT 
    and the Window Styles
    WS_VISIBLE | WS_POPUP.

I'm wondering whether anyone here can shed some light on what could have caused the issue, any potential workarounds or fixes?

Thanks in advance.

Monday, July 24, 2017 8:29 AM

Answers

• Hi Stanly, 

The window needed to be transparent, but click-throughable.

It seems the bug with edge was fixed by another windows update that has come through recently. I am now not seeing the same issue.

Thanks

Monday, August 21, 2017 12:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Jared,

Can you provide some code to reproduce your problem?

We can not get some valid information just from your description above, and I think the issue does not have much relationship with WinForm itself, hope you can provide more details.

Regards,

Stanly

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 25, 2017 8:25 AM
  • Hi Stanly,

Thanks for your response.

I have attached the most barebones repo I can  here that should highlight the issue to you. Simply run the project, see that you can interact with any program apart from the web content of a microsoft edge browser.

If you need any other information please let me know.

Thanks

Tuesday, August 1, 2017 12:01 PM
  • Hi Jared,

As my test, if I use Microsoft Edge browser, I can not do some operations just like open a new link in the area covered by the form, but it can be opened if I use Google Chrome or IE, so do you mean this?

If so, I think this issue is not related to Windows Forms itself, I suggest you can ask your question to Microsoft Community.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Stanly

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 7:43 AM
  • Hi Stanly,

When using the project I sent you, you will have seen that you cannot interact with the web content of the edge browser at all through the overlay.

I believe this is unique to windows forms applications as it is only an issue whilst using them.

Thanks

Wednesday, August 2, 2017 9:54 AM
  • Hi Jared,

What version of the operating system of the computer you are running this project?

If it is Windows 10, try to run all the patches to fix it.

Also I tried to set the value of the parameter named crKey within User32_SetLayeredWindowAttributes to not equal to 0 or 0x00FFFFFF, and the issue is disappear:

User32_SetLayeredWindowAttributes(this.Handle, (TransparencyKey.B << 16) + (TransparencyKey.G << 8) + TransparencyKey.R, _alpha, LayeredWindowAttributes.LWA_COLORKEY | LayeredWindowAttributes.LWA_ALPHA);

Try to change the value of the bold parameter to not equal to 0.

Regards,

Stanly

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, August 3, 2017 3:24 AM
  • Hi Stanly, 

That would be fine - and you're correct that it would resolve the issue in a sense - but that makes the overlay completely transparent.

The application we are working with has a coloured overlay and buttons on the overlay that function well - apart from with edge.

Setting the transparency in that way makes the overlay colour go transparent.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Friday, August 4, 2017 3:39 PM
  • Hi Jared,

Sorry for my late reply.

If you want to set the form to transparent, please try this:

TransparencyKey = BackColor;

Regards,

Stanly

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, August 10, 2017 2:40 AM
  • Hi Stanly,

Thats Ok, thanks for your ongoing support with this issue.

Maybe I wasn't very clear with my response - We need the form to be a visible overlay (context posted here) but using your original solution to make the window input transparent also makes the form visually transparent.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Monday, August 14, 2017 10:09 AM
  • Hi Jared,

So what do you want finally? Do you want to make the Form visually transparent?

If so, I think TransparencyKey = BackColor; can achieve this purpose, if not, please provide more details.

Regards,

Stanly

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, August 15, 2017 7:53 AM
  • Hi Stanly, 

The window needed to be transparent, but click-throughable.

It seems the bug with edge was fixed by another windows update that has come through recently. I am now not seeing the same issue.

Thanks

Monday, August 21, 2017 12:27 PM