none
Does anybody inside MS is interested in fixing the bugs? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

There is a bug that was opened 11 years ago about INK text control.

It is still reproducible on Windows 10.

Just curious - does anybody actually working on the bugs in the current implementation?

Tuesday, November 19, 2019 7:01 PM

All replies

• Hi lgorKorot,

There is a bug that was opened 11 years ago about INK text control.

It is still reproducible on Windows 10.

Can you provide more details about the bug?

I will appreciate it if you can provide a minimal sample that can be reproduced.

Best regards,

Strive

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 2:17 AM
  • Hi, Strive,

This ticket  have everything you need.

There you will find a reproducer and a reference to the ticket .

Unfortunately the link to the ticket is gone but you should be able to find it.

And unfortunately there is attachment in here...

So just download the reproducer from the link.

Thank you.

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 5:47 AM
  • Remove the subclass in the handler for WM_DESTROY before calling PostQuiteMessage.
    Wednesday, November 20, 2019 11:17 AM
  • Hi lgorKorot,

I can reproduce the issue.

I will contact relevant engineers to confirm the cause of the crash, and I will update the answer as soon as I have a conclusion.

Best regards,

Strive

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 22, 2019 8:58 AM
  • Hi lgorKorot,

As @RLWA32 said that, Remove the subclass in the handler for WM_DESTROY before calling PostQuiteMessage is the workaround for this issue.

Why did it crash?

Beacause the ink edit control performs its clean up when handling WM_DESTROY, which includes zeroing ATL's reference to the control's window procedure. The problem is that ATL's subclass on the window is still intact. The access violation occurs when ATL tries calling the control's window procedure using its reference, which was zeroed out when the window received WM_DESTROY.

If you want to avoid the crash ,you can remove your subclass when handling WM_DESTROY.

Best regards,

Strive

Wednesday, November 27, 2019 6:57 AM
  • Hi, Strive,

>As @RLWA32 said that, Remove the subclass in the handler for WM_DESTROY before calling PostQuiteMessage is the workaround for this issue.

But this is just what it is - a workaround. The real problem/the bug will still be there.

It also means that I will not be able to do any additional steps on WM_DESTROY, if needed.

Remember this is just a very simplistic "Bug reproduction test case". And I'm looking for an actual bug fix from MS, not a workaround. Especially after so many years. Because this bug is still reproducible with Windows 10.

Hence the message title.

Thank you.

• Edited by IgorKorot Wednesday, November 27, 2019 10:50 PM
    Wednesday, November 27, 2019 10:49 PM
  • Then what you should do is go to Start, click on the Feedback Hub icon and then provide feedback there. If you don't have Windows 10 then try to get it, or find someone who is using it to provide feedback.

The Feedback Hub is where the Windows developers will look for things like bug reports after all.

This is a signature. Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

• Edited by Darran Rowe Thursday, November 28, 2019 12:52 AM
    Thursday, November 28, 2019 12:49 AM
  • Hi, Darran Rowe,

But this is my point exactly - the bug was submitted to MS a long time ago. And it never being fixed.

That's the reason I put such a title on this thread - I thought that people from MS are coming to this forum and not just users of MS products.

The bug is now not even accessible. That's why I say that people from MS should have a way to find that old bug report before they switch the tracker to include new system.

But guess I was wrong and people from MS don't care.

Thank you.

I will see if I can find a way to re-report the problem to MS. The problem is that I can guarantee that absolutely nothing will happen for another 20 years or so.

Thursday, November 28, 2019 4:59 PM
  • I don't actually see any kind of report to the Windows team, only a bug report to the old Visual Studio connect. The Visual Studio connect was there to report bugs in Visual Studio, not Windows.

However the Feedback Hub is for reporting bugs in Windows. A couple of bugs that I reported through the Feedback Hub have been fixed, so they do listen and care. It generally helps if you report them in the right place.

This is a signature. Any samples given are not meant to have error checking or show best practices. They are meant to just illustrate a point. I may also give inefficient code or introduce some problems to discourage copy/paste coding. This is because the major point of my posts is to aid in the learning process.

Friday, November 29, 2019 1:38 AM
  • Hi oneeyeman1, lgorKorot,

I have submitted this potential issue internally. 

All you need to do now is wait patiently.

Also, you can submit on the Feedback Hub, and don't forget to post the feedback link.

Best regards,

Strive

Friday, November 29, 2019 9:00 AM
  • Hi, Strive Sun-MSFT,

Thank you for re-submitting the bug.

Is it possible to attach a link to this ticket here, so that I can monitor the progress? And I will also attach that link to the original bug report for wxWidgets...

Friday, November 29, 2019 6:48 PM
  • Hi lgorKorot,

The bug is submitted within Microsoft. If there is any progress, I will update it here.

You can attach that ticket to the feedback link which you submit on the Feedback Hub. 

Hope to help you.

Best regards,

Strive

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 6:51 AM