none
Setup Fails with "Error 1638" ( I know it's been asked before but...) RRS feed

• Question

• Using Vs2005 I have built this vb project and installed many times on many computers with no problems.
    I have also read many post where people are having the same problem, sometimes  because of different situations but
    never an answer where the developer is following the "rules".

The 3 requirements are correct:
    "Detect existing version"  = yes
    "Remove previous version" = yes
    "Automatically increment version with each publish" is checked

I have verified that indeed the Package code is being changed on every build. (used ORCA)

On my system I do not get this error at all and the install executes as it should i.e.
    If the product is not installed already it installs fine and is operational,
    If the product (no matter want version) is already installed the user is presented with the "repair or remove" dialog

On 4 other systems so far the install has failed with the same error code.

The following properties have been set:
    Property: [AdminUser] = true {boolean}
    Property: [ProcessorArchitecture] = AMD64 {string}
    Property: [VersionNT] = 6.1.0 {version}
    Running checks for package '.NET Framework 2.0', phase BuildList
    Running external check with command line "C:\Users\RONKAP~1.NA\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDFFD6.tmp\dotnetfx\dotnetchk.exe"
    Process exited with code 1
    Setting value '1 {int}' for property 'DotNetInstalled'
    Reading value 'Version' of registry key 'HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer'
    Read string value '8.0.7600.16385'
    Setting value '8.0.7600.16385 {string}' for property 'IEVersion'
    The following properties have been set for package '.NET Framework 2.0':
    Property: [DotNetInstalled] = 1 {int}
    Property: [IEVersion] = 8.0.7600.16385 {string}
    Running checks for command 'dotnetfx\instmsia.exe'
    Result of running operator 'ValueExists' on property 'VersionNT': true
    Result of checks for command 'dotnetfx\instmsia.exe' is 'Bypass'
    Running checks for command 'dotnetfx\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe'
    Result of running operator 'ValueExists' on property 'Version9x': false
    Result of running operator 'VersionLessThan' on property 'VersionNT' and value '5.0.3': false
    Result of running operator 'VersionGreaterThanOrEqualTo' on property 'VersionMsi' and value '3.0': true
    Result of checks for command 'dotnetfx\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe' is 'Bypass'
    Running checks for command 'dotnetfx\dotnetfx.exe'
    Result of running operator 'ValueNotEqualTo' on property 'DotNetInstalled' and value '0': true
    Result of checks for command 'dotnetfx\dotnetfx.exe' is 'Bypass'
    '.NET Framework 2.0' RunCheck result: No Install Needed
    Running checks for package 'Windows Installer 3.1', phase BuildList
    The following properties have been set for package 'Windows Installer 3.1':
    Running checks for command 'WindowsInstaller3_1\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe'
    Result of running operator 'VersionGreaterThanOrEqualTo' on property 'VersionMsi' and value '3.1': true
    Result of checks for command 'WindowsInstaller3_1\WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe' is 'Bypass'
    'Windows Installer 3.1' RunCheck result: No Install Needed
    Launching Application.
    Using MsiInstallProduct with package path '\\gsctfs1\engineering\shared\srv_omega_dev\Build\Misc\PERU\Setup.msi' and command line ''
    MsiInstallProduct returned '1638'
    Error:

On the systems that fail if I uninstall (via Control Panel) the current installed version I can then install the new version with no problems.

So I'm totally mising something as others are also, or it's just not being explained in full detail.

Thanks in advance

Tony

More Info

if I uninstall the newest and reinstall the older version and again attempt to install the newest I get the same error

Even more info

On my system where it all seems to work fine if I have an older version installed and then attempt to install the newest the installer just uninstalls the older version and installs the the newer. If after that I attempt to reinstall the newer I get the remove/repair dialog.

I'll even send you the 2 versions and you can test. It's a very small install.

• Edited by GSP_T Wednesday, December 15, 2010 9:00 PM more info
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 4:50 PM

Answers

All replies