Protocol for Office desktop apps RRS feed

• Question

• We produce a storage product similar to OneDrive or DropBox. We've implemented most of the WOPI protocol, have an on-premise Office Online Server setup, and integration with online Office apps (Word/Excel/PowerPoint) seems to work great. We can create, view, edit, rename, save, and do co-authoring without any problems. Is there any way to get the same level of integration with desktop  Office apps? Do they even use the same protocol? I've seen some hints that it's not WOPI, but FSSHTTP. If we implemented FSSHTTP, could we get the same sort of integration that OneDrive has with desktop apps or is this not really possible? Thanks,

Jerry

Monday, September 28, 2020 12:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Jerry, 

Yes, you're right that the Office desktop apps use FSSHTTP and this would provide them with the ability to work with documents on your server. FSSHTTP is a complex protocol (unlike WOPI) and the effort to implement is considerable. There are no reference implementations for this but the starting specification is here: 

[MS-FSSHTTP]: File Synchronization via SOAP over HTTP Protocol

Best regards,
    Tom Jebo
    Sr Escalation Engineer
    Microsoft Open Specifications

Monday, September 28, 2020 4:53 PM
  • Thanks Tom, that was really helpful. Follow up question. Presumably you need to do more than implement the FSSHTTP protocol in order for your product to show up in the desktop Office UI as an available connected storage service. At a minimum, there's got to be some configuration involved. Any pointers on that part of the puzzle?

Jerry

Monday, September 28, 2020 9:47 PM
  • Hi Jerry, 

So the places that show up in the "Add a Place" UI from the File | Save As tab (for example in Word desktop) is not something that the Open Specifications documents deal with. I don't know the current story on how this works so I would suggest posting your question to: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/topics/office-itpro.html

Thanks,

Tom

Monday, September 28, 2020 10:23 PM
  • Will do, thanks.
    Tuesday, September 29, 2020 1:22 PM