Test app to write back to CLI on factory floor? RRS feed

• Question

• We would like our production test script to be able to launch a test app on the device, and then catch a response from the test app to determine whether to proceed with the next production test step.

Is there a way for a test app to write back to the command line interface as part of the factory floor tests? If yes, how to build that?

Thanks!

- Manu -

Monday, January 20, 2020 11:58 PM

All replies

• Hi Manu,

Thank you for the inquiry. There is the ability to run functional tests on the Sphere board and collect results. The IntercoreComms sample send back an arbitrary hello world response. It is not exactly what you were looking for but does demonstrate the behavior. Most of the samples in the Azure Sphere Samples repository require the board to be in dev mode.

Can you detail what you are seeking in more specific terms? It would be helpful.

Regards,

Mike

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 2:06 AM
  • Thank you, Mike.

For volume production (i.e. on the factory floor, and not in dev mode), our manufacturer is asking for a small test app that 1) receive a command from the CLI test script, and 2) returns the result of a sensor reading back to the CLI test script. They want to use this to include the testing of that sensor into the automated test script that will run in production.

I now see the below sentences in the Factory Floor Ops documentation. Does that mean that there is no way to output data back to the CLI through the standard programming interface, without having to explicitly wire one of the UARTs just for that purpose?

"If your testing process requires communication, you can use the peripheral UARTs on the MT3620 (ISU0, ISU1, ISU2, or ISU3). Connect these UARTs to your factory PC or external test equipment using suitable circuitry of your design. If you created an interface board to support chip-to-PC communication, you might want to add this circuitry to that board."

Thanks.

- Manu -

Wednesday, January 22, 2020 3:59 PM
  • Hi Manu,

I am engaging the product group to inquire about your request.

Thanks,

Mike

Wednesday, January 29, 2020 7:40 PM
  • Hi Manu,

The right course of action is to engage the Azure Sphere product team as a manufacturer to discuss this further. Apologies for the delay in getting back with you, but the communication channel for manufacturers is being formalized. This is not something that is available via the forums but is something that is discussed and formalized with an agreement as a manufacturer. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Regards,

Mike

Saturday, March 21, 2020 2:49 AM