none
Have Setup.exe w/o Setup.msi RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, the subject covers it pretty well, I need to have the output to my project only be Setup.exe, not Setup.exe & Setup.msi. I am using VS2005, and the main project is a Windows Forms project.

Sorry this is short, this is the third time I've written this, an error keeps losing what I typed.

Thanks,
    --David
    Monday, June 18, 2007 10:18 AM

Answers

• Maybe you can help us understand your need a bit better, and then we can answer it more accurately for you.

We usually recommend people run the setup.exe because it is smart enough to determine what, if anything, needs to be installed before your .MSI is run, download the correct files from the correct location, and drive the installs.

We don't have a solution where all the necessary files are compressed in a single file at this time, maybe in a future version of Visual Studio.  In the web-download this is actually better. If you had a single-compressed-file, then the user would have to download many megabytes of files that might not need to be installed... our current design prevents that and if all the prerequisites are installed already, can get to the .MSI very quickly and with only 600-700Kb of downloads more than the .MSI itself.

Hope this helps!

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 5:22 AM

All replies

• Sorry for the spam, I got an error when I tried to post this, I assumed it didn't get posted at all.
    Monday, June 18, 2007 10:20 AM
  • Hi mate,

You only need to deploy the Setup.msi file, I think the Setup.exe installs Windows Installer 3 before installing the msi. If your users have Windows Installer 3, which they should have if they install .NET v2.0, then they can install your software through the msi.

Monday, June 18, 2007 10:46 AM
  • Your can choose to deploy just the setup.msi file if your users already have all of the project prerequisites installed. 

The purpose of having both the setup.exe is to install all of the required prerequisites for your project (i.e. Windows Installer 3, .NET Framework, SQL Express etc), whereas the Setup.msi actually installs your application.  At install time, the setup.exe installs the prerequisites you selected for your project and then launches the setup.msi.  If your users already have all of those prerequisites taken care of, you could just run the setup.msi file - so deploying only Setup.msi may be an option for you.  However, if your users need to have any of the prerequisites installed along with your application you will need to deploy both.  Note: there is no way to run Setup.exe without Setup.msi.

Hope this helps.

~Merrie McGaw

MSFT

Monday, June 18, 2007 6:23 PM
  • So then whenever I download a program, how is it that I download a *exe file, not an msi?

Thanks for the input
    --David
    Tuesday, June 19, 2007 4:07 AM
  • Maybe you can help us understand your need a bit better, and then we can answer it more accurately for you.

We usually recommend people run the setup.exe because it is smart enough to determine what, if anything, needs to be installed before your .MSI is run, download the correct files from the correct location, and drive the installs.

We don't have a solution where all the necessary files are compressed in a single file at this time, maybe in a future version of Visual Studio.  In the web-download this is actually better. If you had a single-compressed-file, then the user would have to download many megabytes of files that might not need to be installed... our current design prevents that and if all the prerequisites are installed already, can get to the .MSI very quickly and with only 600-700Kb of downloads more than the .MSI itself.

Hope this helps!

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 5:22 AM