none
MIME settings

Question

• Hi,

I want to deploy a ClickOnce application through my site. The site is hosted at a web hosting company and I want to ask them to set up the MIME type for .application, .manifest and .deploy extensions. The problem is I coudn't find exactly what are the required MIME settings for these extensions in Beta 2. From the documentation it seems:
    .application -> application/x-ms-application
    .manifest -> application/x-ms-application
    .deploy -> application/octet-stream

Can somebody confirm this?

Regards,
    Valentin Iliescu
    Tuesday, May 17, 2005 2:38 PM

Answers

• Those MIME types will work correctly.   Technically all that matters for clickonce to work is that .application has the MIME type above & that the other two extensions have a MIME type.   The MIME type of .application is used for activating the clickonce app.  THe other 2 MIME types only matter because IIS6 won't serve up file types w/o MIME types.
    Wednesday, May 18, 2005 6:18 PM

All replies

• Those MIME types will work correctly.   Technically all that matters for clickonce to work is that .application has the MIME type above & that the other two extensions have a MIME type.   The MIME type of .application is used for activating the clickonce app.  THe other 2 MIME types only matter because IIS6 won't serve up file types w/o MIME types.
    Wednesday, May 18, 2005 6:18 PM
  • It should be the following (according to the MSDN Library):

File name extension Content type

.application

application/x-ms-application

.manifest

application/x-ms-manifest

.deploy

application/octet-stream

Monday, July 03, 2006 12:55 PM
  • Hello,

I am having problems getting my application to install after deploying it to my hosted website.  I can download the setup.exe file to my computer, but then after I run it.  It goes out to the website and pulls up MyApp.application as an xml file in the browser.  I updated the MIME types on the server following the post above, but it still displays .application files as xml.  Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to make this work?

Thanks

BTW, the server is run on apache not IIS.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 4:14 AM
  • After searching a few other posts here, I found one that suggested to clear IE's cache and reboot.  This works.
    Thursday, November 16, 2006 5:01 AM