Windows 10 Smart Screen Warnings With Everything Signed RRS feed

• Question

• Good Day!

We're working on a WPF application that targets .NET 4.6 and is deployed via ClickOnce technology. Visual Studio 2013 is set up to sign the manifests and the executable, and we have a post-build step that even signs the ClickOnce installer. We used the information in this RobinDotNet post for guidance: https://robindotnet.wordpress.com/2013/02/24/windows-8-and-clickonce-the-definitive-answer-2/

When installing to Win 7, everything works fine; haven't tried Win 8/8.1 yet.  However, we are finding that on Win 10, even with all of the above signed, we are still getting flagged by SmartScreen.

I don't need to tell you that this is a catastrophe of epic proportions; if the users are frightened off from using the software by an erroneous message from Windows, we'd have to change our deployment strategy, and lose all the advantages of ClickOnce, something we're not willing to do without exhausting all the options.

Can someone wiser than I in the ways of ClickOnce please give us the definitive answer as to Windows 10 and ClickOnce?

Thanks in advance!

Regards, D. T. Doutel

• Edited by Duane Doutel Saturday, February 20, 2016 5:06 PM
    Saturday, February 20, 2016 5:02 PM

Answers

• Just spoke with Comodo today; as it turns out, their signing certificates are NOT EV certificates, and do not support SmartScreen in Windows 10. That's that; we'll have to buy one from either Symantec or DigiCert.

Regards, D. T. Doutel

• Marked as answer by Duane Doutel Tuesday, February 23, 2016 10:04 PM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2016 10:04 PM

All replies

• Saturday, February 20, 2016 5:20 PM
  • Hi Andy!

Thanks for the quick reply.

Not sure what you mean by "EV" certificate, but the certificate we have is about 6  weeks old, issued by Comodo and has a sha256 signature hash algorithm and sha256RSA signature algorithm. Needless to say, we're signing with a .pfx exported from the store and imported into Visual Studio for that purpose.

I'll look over those links; thank you!

Regards, D. T. Doutel

Saturday, February 20, 2016 6:31 PM
  • A little more information: our application installs just fine under Windows 8.1 as long as you run the browser as administrator. No warnings at all, just sails right through. Windows 10 SmartScreen, on the other hand, regardless of browser or as administrator notwithstanding, continues to balk.

It looks like Moonlight Sheng added a reply here, but I only see the reply in the notification email; strange. It appears that we may have to pass the "Windows Store developer onboarding and application review process", even though we're a desktop application.

Ok, Moonlight, I'll look into that. Thank you for the reply!

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 3:05 PM
  • Just spoke with Comodo today; as it turns out, their signing certificates are NOT EV certificates, and do not support SmartScreen in Windows 10. That's that; we'll have to buy one from either Symantec or DigiCert.

Regards, D. T. Doutel

• Marked as answer by Duane Doutel Tuesday, February 23, 2016 10:04 PM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2016 10:04 PM