none
Silent installer with norestart option or REBOOT=ReallySuppress is not working

Question

Application created using IDE: VS 2008

I have .msi file MSAddInsSetup.msi which I have to install silently

When I run directly by mouse click .It shows GUI and installed properly.

Requirement: msi file should install silently without GUI.And after installation windows OS should not restart.

When I am installing msi silently by using below command

Setup is installing successfully but window OS is restarting

msiexec.exe  /uninstall MSAddInsSetup.msi /qn REBOOT=ReallySuppress

msiexec   /qn /i MSAddInsSetup.msi REBOOT=ReallySuppress

msiexec   /qn /f MSAddInsSetup.msi REBOOT=ReallySuppress

After that I tried with this command

Still windows OS is restarting

msiexec.exe  /uninstall MSAddInsSetup.msi /qn /norestart

msiexec   /qn /i MSAddInsSetup.msi  /norestart

msiexec   /qn /f MSAddInsSetup.msi  /norestart

What should I do for not restarting the windows? Or I am doing anything wrong?

Please help me in this scenario.

I will be thankful.

Monday, January 30, 2012 4:58 AM

All replies

• You cannot vote on your own post

I found article in msdn

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa372024%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

In a block of this article I found information about /norestart , but when I am applying this option , windows is restarting

/norestart

Never restart option. The installer never restarts the computer after the installation.

Example: msiexec /package Application.msi /norestart

Note  The equivalent Windows Installer command line has REBOOT=ReallySuppress set on the command line.

Monday, January 30, 2012 4:58 AM
  • Please response on above query I have been reported it Into different category

I will be thankful.

• Edited by S.P Singh Monday, January 30, 2012 5:00 AM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 5:00 AM
  • You should add /l*v <path to a text file> to your install so that the install creates a log - that may tell you what's going on.

I can't tell what state your system is in if you are really just doing all those commands one after another. You can't install the same MSI file twice, and if you do that silently it will silently go into repair mode. If you can just get a clean system and do the install taking a log, that may help, as I said.

Note that suppressing all reboots does not mean that Windows just ignores that fact that files need replacing. If there is an in-use file somewhere that was not replaced because of a suppressed reboot then the app may be broken.  That reboot must be done sometime, and eventually Windows will insist on it.  If the install wants to replace a file F with a different file F from your install, and does not reboot to replace it, and then you try to uninstall your app there's a file replacement stuck in limbo. If the uninstall happens it will remove the file F *which you did not install* - it's still that one that didn't get replaced. 

Phil Wilson
    Tuesday, January 31, 2012 8:53 PM
  • Hi S.P Singh,
    Could you please try the following things?
    First, try this command and see if it works:
    msiexec   /qn /i MSAddInsSetup.msi REBOOT=ReallySuppress /norestart
    Second, try to install other msi with this command, Does it works?
    Third, could you please write logging information into a log file and share the log file here? See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa367988(v=vs.85).aspx.
    Best Regards,

Bob Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Friday, February 3, 2012 9:32 AM
  • Some MSI setup's just reboot when ReallySuppress is fully written. REBOOT=R does it suppress under all circumcises.

Peter.

• Proposed as answer by Tom S' Tuesday, March 20, 2018 7:03 AM
    Monday, September 15, 2014 9:42 AM
  • Yes this is quite often due to a custom action during the install - if you scour your log file you'll find an action that is resetting the reboot option during install, so no matter what you put on the cmd line it reboots afterwards.  You can rip this out of the MSI with ORCA or similar then your setting will work.

Cheers!

• Proposed as answer by S1m0nB Tuesday, September 30, 2014 2:14 AM
    Tuesday, September 30, 2014 2:13 AM