none
Workflow not running after changing site URL

    Question

  • Hi,

    I have a site collection and a site under it. I have some workflows on the site's document library. After I change the site url (the name of the site only, e.g. http://domain/sites/<site-collection-name>/<site-name> to http://domain/sites/<site-collection-name>/<site-name-update>), all of my workflows start normally, but after that, they do nothing. No log, no error. The status is Started and just that. Do I need to do anything with the workflow service?

    Im working with SP 2013 and SPD 2013. My workflows are 2013 workflows.

    Thank you



    • Edited by dtminh Monday, September 15, 2014 3:47 AM
    Monday, September 15, 2014 3:46 AM

Answers

  • Hi Wendy,

    Thanks for your help. I have reconfigured the whole Workflow Manager and it works now.

    During the reconfiguration I had some issues with some of 3rd-party workflow custom action packs. I had to retract, redeploy, deactivate and activate using Powershell several times in order to publish my old workflows. So maybe they caused the problem as you have suggested, since the problem occurred to not only the site I changed the URL. Anyway this is not something that I would try again.

    Thanks

    Wednesday, September 17, 2014 2:49 AM

All replies

  • Hi dtminh,

    According to your description, my understanding is that the workflow could not run well after you changed the site URL.

    I created a 2013 workflow based on a library, and the workflow contained a “Log to History List” action and a “Assign a task” action. Before changing the site URL, I could run the workflow correctly. After changing the site URL, the workflow also work well. And I changed the site URL via Site settings->Title,description and logo->Web Site Address. I could not reproduce this issue.

    How did you design your workflow? which actions did you use in your workflow?

    Please create a new workflow on the problematic library and add some log actions into it, start it on a document. Then change the site URL, and start a new workflow instance on another document, compare the result.

    Also, to narrow down this issue, you can create a new library, and create a new workflow, test again, compare the result.

    Best Regards,

    Wendy


    Wendy Li
    TechNet Community Support

    Tuesday, September 16, 2014 7:07 AM
    Moderator
  • Hi Wendy,

    The issue with all 2013 workflows is that they are stuck right after they got started. I created a new 2013 workflow and at the very first line I log something and that is not showed as well. The internal status is "Started", when I clicked on it, it showed "Activity in progress". And it's like that forever. I've tried to created a new site under the same site collection, created a new test workflow and the problem remained

    Thanks

    Tuesday, September 16, 2014 8:16 AM
  • Hi dtminh,

    Whether you installed any CUs for your SharePoint 2013.

    In my environment, everything worked well. And I have installed SharePoint 2013 SP1. Please install it, then compare the result.

    Best Regards,

    Wendy


    Wendy Li
    TechNet Community Support

    Tuesday, September 16, 2014 8:21 AM
    Moderator
  • Hi Wendy,

    Thanks for your help. I have reconfigured the whole Workflow Manager and it works now.

    During the reconfiguration I had some issues with some of 3rd-party workflow custom action packs. I had to retract, redeploy, deactivate and activate using Powershell several times in order to publish my old workflows. So maybe they caused the problem as you have suggested, since the problem occurred to not only the site I changed the URL. Anyway this is not something that I would try again.

    Thanks

    Wednesday, September 17, 2014 2:49 AM