What is an "Application Reference"? RRS feed

• Question

• The file in the Start menu used to launch an application installed with ClickOnce is of type "Application Reference".

Where can I find more information about that file type? Is it specific to .NET?

Does anybody know if there is a way to choose the icon for that file?

Saturday, January 14, 2006 7:28 PM

Answers

• Using released version of ClickOnce, you cannot install applications to C:\Program Files location.

Sunday, August 19, 2007 5:47 PM

All replies

• Application reference is more like a shell shortcut or .lnk file, which contains a reference to a ClickOnce installed application. This is specific to ClickOnce. Yes, you can set an icon for it, you do that by adding icon information for your app in ClickOnce application manifest. There might be some way to do it from VS IDE or Mage.exe, otherwise add following line in application manifest and resign it. The icon file name you give should be present as a file in ClickOnce deployment package.

<description asmv2:iconFile="myicon.ico"/>

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 3:02 AM
  • Jerome,

To set the icon file for your ClickOnce deployed application using VS, open the Application Property Page.  Set the Icon File property to the icon file you want to use by browsing to the file on disk.

If you are using Mage, select the Files section for the application manifest (.exe.manifest file).  Set the type for the icon file you wish to use to 'Icon File'.

Regards,

Elizabeth Maher

Wednesday, January 18, 2006 8:41 PM
  • Elizabeth,

Thank you for your answer.

Unfortunately, I'm not using the Icon setting in the Application Property Page. Instead I'm using the Resource File setting, and those settings are mutually exclusive.

Apparently, the publishing mechanism wasn't designed to handle my Win32 resource file.

Is it a bug in VS2005? Would using MaGe be a workaround?

Regards,

Jérôme

Thursday, January 19, 2006 4:39 PM
  • i have a problem. i made a program and i installed it, now this application reference is in my start menu, and it is running and all, but, how can i unistall this program i made if i never made an uninstaller? im a newbie, so what can i do before i show this to my friends? i want to give an unistallable program or a .exe program as i thought it was going to be. =(
    Tuesday, November 21, 2006 3:30 AM
  • When an application is installed via ClickOnce, ClickOnce will automatically create an entry in Add/Remove Programs for you.  The entry will be under the same name as the name of the link under that Start Menu.  Click the 'Change/Remove' button to either roll back the version of an installed ClickOnce application or remove the ClickOnce application from your computer.

Regards,

Elizabeth Maher

VB Team

Wednesday, November 22, 2006 12:01 AM
  • well, i tried to uninstall it via add/remove programs but never found my program, maybe i looked wrong. but ill give it a second go when i log in my computer. anyway i ended deleting all files and just keeping the .exe file since it was a very easy program
    Wednesday, November 22, 2006 3:05 AM
  • Hi, i am also  new to programing, however, when i publish and install is installs as a Application Reference. How does one publish an application in the C: Programs file?

Sunday, August 19, 2007 12:16 PM
  • Using released version of ClickOnce, you cannot install applications to C:\Program Files location.

Sunday, August 19, 2007 5:47 PM
  • Ok, but would there be any way to publish your application as a .exe in the C: Programs folder of a computer?

Monday, August 20, 2007 7:57 AM
  • If you must have your exe in the C:\Program Files directory, then you will need to deploy using Setup Projects in VS, which will create an MSI. 

Monday, August 20, 2007 3:56 PM
  • Do you mean a .deploy? And also how does one do this?

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 9:53 AM
  • Setup projects are a different type of project that create windows installer files.  See http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/996a3fxs(VS.80).aspx for an overview.  I should probably note that setup projects are only available in VS Standard and above, they are not available in any of the Express additions.

Regards,

Elizabeth Maher

VB Team.

Wednesday, August 22, 2007 3:59 PM
  • Where is smart client installed?

Thank you very much.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 11:00 PM
  • Use something called iexpress.exe.

Find it in WINDOWS, First hidden folder.

Then Create a New Package.

Use an installation prompt in the next screen and type: Are you sure?

Add your licence (type one up first).

Add your Build Files and your Autorun.ini file.

There. a googd setup file.

Saturday, May 30, 2009 7:19 AM