none
WinForm - Is it possilbe to place (CellMouseEnter, CellMouseLeave) in a Global Class? RRS feed

• Question

• The coding works fine in a WinForm, however, is there a way to place this code in a centralize location such as a Global Class, so there is no need to place these coding repeatedly, all over to other forms.

What I am looking for is something like a class

Global.FormatDataGridView.HighlightRow(true); // In case I need this feature, just turn it on

private void datagridview1_CellMouseEnter(object sender, DataGridViewCellEventArgs e)
            {
                if (e.RowIndex > 0 && e.ColumnIndex > 0)
                   this.datagridview1.Rows[e.RowIndex].DefaultCellStyle.BackColor = Color.LightBlue;
                else
                    return;
            }

private void datagridview1_CellMouseLeave(object sender, DataGridViewCellEventArgs e)
            {
                if (e.RowIndex > 0 && e.ColumnIndex > 0)
                    this.datagridview1.Rows[e.RowIndex].DefaultCellStyle.BackColor = Color.White;          
                else
                    return;
            }

• Moved by CoolDadTx Monday, November 18, 2019 2:47 PM Winforms related
    Saturday, November 16, 2019 4:48 AM

All replies

• I may regret even responding to you, but you can just simply make each method event name a generic name not dedicated to a particular form control name. And then you can go to the control's property for the event and give the generic control event method, which makes the code sharable for all controls needing to use the generic event.

If you want to find out what control is using the event, then you can cast 'sender' to a datagridview control object and address the propertiers of the object, like the Name property.

private void datagridview_CellMouseLeave(object sender, DataGridViewCellEventArgs e)

{

var dgv = (datagridview)sender;

if (dgv.Name == " datagridview1") do something;

}

• Edited by DA924x Saturday, November 16, 2019 5:39 AM
    Saturday, November 16, 2019 5:38 AM
  • I'd suggest creating a class that inherits from DataGridView. Add the events as well as any other features you need (such as the Highlight) inside your inherited class.

Then, in all the places in your program where you are using a DataGridVew, use your inherited class instead of the DataGridView.

• Proposed as answer by Ihandler MSDN Tuesday, November 19, 2019 3:31 AM
    Saturday, November 16, 2019 3:20 PM
  • If I understand what you are asking then the easiest way to do it is to make a User Control with a DataGridView in it.

Inheriting from DataGridView is the elegant solution. It is what C++ (actually MFC) programmers would do. Unfortunately .Net makes things not as easy. I suggest doing it if you can but if it is too complicated for you then use the User Control solution.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Saturday, November 16, 2019 9:00 PM
  • Yes, your solution also works.

Personally, I would prefer to create a class that inherits from DataGridView.  

Sam, Many thanks ! 

Another option is to just instance the DVG object and dependency inject the object into the class that needs to use the object, becuase after all, the control is a class. Even if you inherit from the DVG control, a class, the inheriting class must be instanced. 

Monday, November 18, 2019 4:04 AM
  • I'd suggest creating a class that inherits from DataGridView. Add the events as well as any other features you need (such as the Highlight) inside your inherited class.

Then, in all the places in your program where you are using a DataGridVew, use your inherited class instead of the DataGridView.

Yes, I totally understand what you mean, you explained it very well !
    I think your solution would do great on my project, however, the existing DataGridView control is widely in use in different parts of modules, it looks like there is a lot to do if I create a class that inherits from DataGridView. 
    If possible, would it be possible to post some sample coding so I can dig into it. 
    Anyway, thanks a lot !

Monday, November 18, 2019 4:43 AM
  • If I understand what you are asking then the easiest way to do it is to make a User Control with a DataGridView in it.

Inheriting from DataGridView is the elegant solution. It is what C++ (actually MFC) programmers would do. Unfortunately .Net makes things not as easy. I suggest doing it if you can but if it is too complicated for you then use the User Control solution.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Yes, your solution also works.

Personally, I would prefer to create a class that inherits from DataGridView.  

Sam, Many thanks ! 

• Unproposed as answer by Ihandler MSDN Tuesday, November 19, 2019 3:31 AM
    Monday, November 18, 2019 4:44 AM
  • Hi Ihandler,

It seems that your problem has been solved. If so, please click "Mark as answer" to the appropriate answer, so that it will help other members to find the solution quickly if they face a similar issue.

Best Regards,

Timon

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 18, 2019 9:56 AM