I've got an old game project i've been working on for years, built on directX 9, C++, visual studio 2012. Its worked fine for ages, fine on winXP, win7 and etc, but recently i got the Win10 update 1607 and suddenly everything is running dog-slow ; 2 FPS where i used to get 50-60. This has happened on all 3, very different spec PCs that i've tried it on. All have up-to-date drivers and decent enough graphics cards and CPUs. A brief bit of profiling on my part hasn't revealed anything obvious beyond that *everything* seems to be rendering a whole lot more slowly than it did before.
Bit of a shot in the dark but before i go and bang my head against the wall for a week, does anyone have any ideas or clues why this windows update might have caused my program to behave so badly?
It often cause by GameDVR setting, try turning off the Game Bar DVR feature by navigating to this Registry key:
Set that value to 0 and reboot.
We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
Click HERE to participate the survey.
Thanks very much for the response, most appreciated!
Unfortunately, no difference.. still get the terrible framerate. (Also would like to find a solution that means the program works ok for the game's players without them having to disable features or amend their windows update).
Edit: I've built a little test app that does nothing much other than render a few hundred models using DX9 ID3DXMesh::DrawSubset(). Take that one call out and the app runs normally, but when drawing stuff it is many orders of magnitude slower than it would have been prior to the windows update.
Anyone have any other ideas?
- Edited by OldPulteney1972 Tuesday, September 27, 2016 9:32 AM
I've read various reports of DirectX9 game performance issues after update 1607, but as it doesn't appear to be 100% there's presumably something wrong in my setup that I can address.
As soon as my head stops throbbing i'll start the long process of converting over to DX11, but meantime - as thats gonna take me a while - it'd be fantastic to get a solution.
- Edited by OldPulteney1972 Thursday, September 29, 2016 10:53 AM removed links
Can't help with the specific concerns about legacy Direct3D 9 performance, but for the converting to Direct3D 11 thing see:
Wasn't intentional.. It was a long time ago :] .. I vaguely recall I was having some oddities on a particular graphics card and was experimenting with different settings - using that had resolved the problem (although I assume it was just hiding a problem elsewhere in my renderer).. Hadn't meant to leave it on but it didn't appear to have any obvious performance impact until now so hadn't noticed it.