Azure Sphere Device is not responding RRS feed

• Question

• I received Azure Sphere MT3620 dev kit and trying to setup for the first time with SDK 20.01.eval.

The device does not respond for any commands. is there anything I need to do like migrate or something?

Basic recover, restart and show-attached commands should work, but not working for me.

--------------------------------------Log--------------------------

Sending image 12 of 16.
    Sending image 13 of 16.
    Sending image 14 of 16.
    Sending image 15 of 16.
    Sending image 16 of 16.
    Finished writing images; rebooting board.
    error: Failed to establish communication with device after recovery. Try unplugging the device and plugging it back in, and verifying communication using 'azsphere device show-attached'. If that fails, try recovering the device again.
    error: Failed to establish communication with device after recovery.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

C:\WINDOWS\system32>azsphere device show-attached -v
    Azure Sphere Utility version 20.1.6.56047
    Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Start time (UTC): Wednesday, 19 February 2020 08:12:20
    verbose: No response from device.
    warn: Device is not responding. Could not perform version check.
    verbose: No SerialSlipToTunService port is set in the registry; defaulting to 48938.
    error: The device is not responding. The device may be unresponsive if it is applying an Azure Sphere operating system update; please retry in a few minutes.
    verbose: No response from device.
    Device is not responding. Cannot get device ID.
    verbose: No SerialSlipToTunService port is set in the registry; defaulting to 48938.
    IP address: 192.168.35.2
    Connection path: 193

Kindly help me with initial setup, i hope hope these commands are nothing to do with Tenant and IOT connectivity yet. very basic commands and recover should work.

- Sunil Naik

• Edited by SunilMS_2020 Thursday, February 20, 2020 3:52 AM version correction
    Wednesday, February 19, 2020 8:16 AM

Answers

• Hi Sunil,

I believe you are working with Azure Support on this issue but did want to provide the following feedback, which may have already been communicated. This information is helpful to others who might be experiencing the same issue:

"It's probably worth asking the customer to retry with the final 20.01 SDK and OS that has now shipped this week.  If this still happens, please ask the customer to run "azsphere get-support-data" and send us the result - there should be an official channel for them to do this, in line with our privacy policy."

You can also run recovery with diag options: azsphere device recover -v -diag

Please let me know if support has provided you a resolution or if you still need assistance.

Regards,

Mike

Monday, February 24, 2020 6:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Sunil,

I think your issue pertains to the SDK 10.01.eval and the latest release of Azure Sphere SDK 20.01. Are you following a tutorial or a set of instructions?

Connect your dev kit to a Windows PC and install a Windows SDK

Please be aware that there are two SDK options. Once is for Visual Studio (IDE) and the second is a Windows SDK (command line). 

If you plan to use Visual Studio please use the Visual Studio SDK. If you are not using Visual Studio use the Windows SDK only. 

If you are still experiencing issues, please source the following: Troubleshooting installation and setup on Windows

Please let me know if you are still experiencing issues.

Regards,

Mike

Wednesday, February 19, 2020 11:57 PM
  • Sorry for wrongly mentioning Azure Sphere SDK 10.01, I meant Azure Sphere SDK 20.01.eval.

I have tried all the trouble shoot instructions, diged much deeper on community forums and github issues.

Looks like something is wrong with either 20.0.eval which I installed for first time on dev kit. Or maybe be because I do not have access to any tenant yet. But basic command to Device recover should work irrespective of tenant access.

I have Asked microsoft to look into my tenant and AAD access. but firmware update should work ideally.

Do you think if its something to do with IP address? because TAP driver IPV4 is 192.168.35.1 but device shows 

Device is not responding. Cannot get device ID.
    IP address: 192.168.35.2
    Connection path: 1A3
    Command completed in 00:00:18.9448585.

Thursday, February 20, 2020 5:43 AM
  • Let me raise this to the Azure Sphere PG. Did you create a support request for this? Can you share this with me by sending me an email to AzCommunity.

The device TAP Driver IPv4 address serves as a gateway address for the device. 

Regards,

Mike

Thursday, February 20, 2020 4:12 PM
  • Sunil,

This looks like your communication path to the Azure Sphere board is not working. 

Verify these things . . . 

1. If you are connected to a VPN, disconnect from the VPN and try again

2. Verify that the com ports all have the correct driver (troubleshooting guide should have covered that)

3. Verify that the "Azure Sphere Device Communication Service" service is running.  Try to restart it. 

Let us know if that helps

Friday, February 21, 2020 11:21 PM
  • Hi Sunil,

I believe you are working with Azure Support on this issue but did want to provide the following feedback, which may have already been communicated. This information is helpful to others who might be experiencing the same issue:

"It's probably worth asking the customer to retry with the final 20.01 SDK and OS that has now shipped this week.  If this still happens, please ask the customer to run "azsphere get-support-data" and send us the result - there should be an official channel for them to do this, in line with our privacy policy."

You can also run recovery with diag options: azsphere device recover -v -diag

Please let me know if support has provided you a resolution or if you still need assistance.

Regards,

Mike

Monday, February 24, 2020 6:39 PM
  • Providing an update to this issue where installing the Retail 20.01 SDK resolved this issue.

Monday, February 24, 2020 9:57 PM