none
Register OCX/dll in System32 folder using Setup Wizard RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to create a Setup Package to register ocx files, dll files in c:\windows\System32 folder for Win XP and in c:\Windows\SysWOW64\ for win 7. Can someone tell me how to do this and make this as a prerequisite to my Click Once application.

Thanks

Shashi

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 6:49 PM

Answers

• Hi ShaSHi,

You can create a Visual Studio Setup project ,add the ocx/dll file to the System Folder and then set the Register Property to vsdrpCOM.Then the file will be registered.

Then create a custom bootstrapper with the msi file, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms165429.aspx.

If there is anything unclear, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Bob Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Marked as answer by SSFed Tuesday, June 12, 2012 1:32 PM
    Monday, June 11, 2012 5:49 AM
  • In the setup project, File System View, right click onFile System on Target Machine and Add Special Folder "SysemFolder". That's auomatically the right place whatever the system.

Phil Wilson

Monday, June 11, 2012 4:32 PM

All replies

• Hi ShaSHi,

You can create a Visual Studio Setup project ,add the ocx/dll file to the System Folder and then set the Register Property to vsdrpCOM.Then the file will be registered.

Then create a custom bootstrapper with the msi file, see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms165429.aspx.

If there is anything unclear, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Bob Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Monday, June 11, 2012 5:49 AM
  • Bob,

Thank you for the response, i will try it today and let you know how it goes.

Also, is there a way to identify on which machine (Win xp/Win 7) my prerequisite is going to be installed and change the path of registering the dlls to System32 or sysWOW64 folder?

Thanks,

Shashi

Shashi

• Unmarked as answer by SSFed Tuesday, June 12, 2012 1:32 PM
    Monday, June 11, 2012 3:07 PM
  • In the setup project, File System View, right click onFile System on Target Machine and Add Special Folder "SysemFolder". That's auomatically the right place whatever the system.

Phil Wilson

Monday, June 11, 2012 4:32 PM
  • Bob & Phil.

Thanks for your help, i followed all the steps you guys told me and it worked perfect!!

Shashi

Shashi

• Edited by SSFed Tuesday, June 12, 2012 1:33 PM typo
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 1:32 PM
  • Bit late but might help.

The help here was good, however in my case I was missing one thing.

Setting the "System" property of the file to "true", otherwise it didn't seem to register.

https://donaldrichardson1.wixsite.com/softwaregeneralist/post/registering-an-ocx-file-during-setup

Wednesday, July 31, 2019 12:34 AM