none
bootstrapper arguments setting in vain RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using bootstrappers of SQL Server Express in a msi project. The argument settings are in vain.

If I run the following directly:

"sqlexpr32.exe -q /norebootchk /qn reboot=ReallySuppress addlocal=all instancename=SQLEXPRESS SECURITYMODE=SQL SAPWD=123456 DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0 SQLAUTOSTART=1 SQLBROWSERAUTOSTART=1 ADDUSERASADMIN=1"

everything is working as expected.

Then I edit the package.ini in bootstrapper :

<Command PackageFile="sqlexpr32.exe" Arguments="-q /norebootchk /qn reboot=ReallySuppress addlocal=all instancename=SQLEXPRESS SECURITYMODE=SQL SAPWD=123456 DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0 SQLAUTOSTART=1 SQLBROWSERAUTOSTART=1 ADDUSERASADMIN=1" EstimatedInstalledBytes="225000000" EstimatedTempBytes="225000000" EstimatedInstallSeconds="420">

Silent setup is done but most features are missing. What's wrong?

Monday, May 17, 2010 5:35 AM

Answers

• Thank u all!

I've found where my problem is. There are three sections in package.ini, one for win2K, one for xp and one for server 2003. I just edited one for win2K, and run it upon xp. So all is in vain, of course.

Still I'm interested in "EstimatedInstallSeconds" setting. Don't know how the progress bar is performing when all setup is going on silently. As I know, the installation program has no means to report progress.

Friday, May 21, 2010 1:14 PM

All replies

• Some of those arguments are passed on to the msiexec.exe command line, and many of them are cases-sensitive. The one I'd focus on is ADDLOCAL, where ADDLOCAL=ALL would be more correct.
    Phil Wilson
    Monday, May 17, 2010 10:43 PM
  • But the command line result is correct. Capital may not be a problem. 
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 2:46 PM
  • Hi EnjoySoft,

Could you please let me know what kind of features are missing? 

Based on my understanding, there are two possible causes:
    1. The EstimatedInstallSeconds is too small so some stuffs are not installed.
    2. The bootstrapper does not run with enough privileges. You can run it as administrator.

Regards,
    Aland Li

Please mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark if they don't. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by EnjoySoft Friday, May 21, 2010 1:11 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by EnjoySoft Saturday, May 22, 2010 8:09 AM
    Friday, May 21, 2010 11:47 AM
  • Thank u all!

I've found where my problem is. There are three sections in package.ini, one for win2K, one for xp and one for server 2003. I just edited one for win2K, and run it upon xp. So all is in vain, of course.

Still I'm interested in "EstimatedInstallSeconds" setting. Don't know how the progress bar is performing when all setup is going on silently. As I know, the installation program has no means to report progress.

Friday, May 21, 2010 1:14 PM