Info about MSMQ RRS feed

• Question

• I'm dealing with a need to start leveraging a queuing platform for some of our increasingly important designs (We are an online educational service with a lot of Windows Desktop, Server, .Net, SQL etc).

We've never used MSMQ and it seem adequate for our needs BUT are there shortcomings that would cause anyone here to avoid MSMQ and use some alternative?

Not even sure if this is right place (but all our code is C# and we'd be doing mainly async IO on queues).

Any pointers much appreciated!

Thanks

Hugh

Monday, August 28, 2017 9:42 PM

All replies

• We've never used MSMQ and it seem adequate for our needs BUT are there shortcomings that would cause anyone here to avoid MSMQ and use some alternative.

MSMQ is still a viable protocol solution on the Windows platform. How widely it is used is another story. However, you can use WCF over MSMQ protocol, which brings MSMQ out of its legacy status and more inline with more recent .NET Technology and SOA.  

https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/515253/Service-Oriented-Architecture-and-WCF

Another queuing platform is MS SQL Server Service Broker Message Queues.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/configure-windows/sql-server-service-broker

Monday, August 28, 2017 9:58 PM
  • As DA924x points out there are some good articles on how to do this.  I have had reliable, problem free behavior from MSMQ in past implementations.  My opinion is it is great for simpler queuing scenarios if all machines are running in the same domain.  If you are looking at a more sophisticated/scalable solution and want to leverage the cloud then I would consider the Azure Service Bus or even Azure Storage Queues.

Cheers, Jeff

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 3:09 AM
  • Hi Korporal Kernel,

Thank you for posting here.

According to your question is more related to MSMQ, I will move it to Microsoft Message Queuing (MSMQ) forum for suitable support.

This forum discuss and and ask the C# programming language, IDE, library, samples and tools.

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 6:38 AM