none
Stop Message, Unable to install because newer version of this product is already installed.

Question

• I have created MSI in visual studio 2005. 

Now i have a lots of issue related to this. One of them is it shows "Unable to install because newer version of this product is already installed." when lower version is installed.

I have already changed the Version so the Product-code and also set this Property to DetectNewVersionInstalled=false and RemovePreviousVersion=true.

It still shows Message, i have tried number of things but none of them working.

Now i want to disable this message. Installer should install the Product regardless of the what version is installed.. Lets say if same version is installed or lower version is installed or higher version is installed, in any case i want to install the prouduct.. Just like Inno setup. 

How can i disable this Newerversion validation?

• Changed type anitapatel Wednesday, November 9, 2011 6:58 AM
    • Moved by Rob Pan Friday, November 11, 2011 2:31 AM (From:Visual C++ Language)
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 6:40 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, I will move your thread to the correct forum for better support. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Rob

Rob Pan [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, November 11, 2011 2:30 AM
  • Hi anitapatel,

http://www.simple-talk.com/dotnet/visual-studio/updates-to-setup-projects/

Increment the Version property of your setup project is the key, and setting RemovePreviousVersions. The whole steps as follows:

1. Increment version in the setup project's properties window and product number in the setup project's property window. Accept the changes with OK.
    2. Make sure that the UpgradeCode there is the same as the older version of the product.
    3. Set RemovePreviousVersion to True.
    4. Make sure that InstallAllUsers is the same as the older version of the product.

RemovePreviousVersions really does mean previous *older* versions, and it relies on the change of ProductCode (when Version is changed) to work.

For more about remove previous version, you should refer to this thread whick tell through:http://www.simple-talk.com/dotnet/visual-studio/updates-to-setup-projects/ andhttp://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winformssetup/thread/9ae37554-8f1d-42a9-8da5-c95465c44fd6

Helen Zhou [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Proposed as answer by Cosmin Pirvu Friday, November 11, 2011 7:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Helen Zhou Tuesday, November 22, 2011 5:29 AM
    Friday, November 11, 2011 6:37 AM
  • Hi, Helen Zhou, 

Thank for the Info. 

I already have followed same step you described,, and its working on my local machine.. 

but the Problem is in client's PC. the same MSI which installled successfully without this "Newer version ...." is creating Problem on client machine.. 

It wont stop the installation completely. rather  button installation go ahead when client click on OK button of the Message.

So i want to disable this Message completely .. 

Friday, November 11, 2011 7:42 AM
  • You might need to explain what "Problem on client PC" is exactly.

The way this works is that you must increment the Version of the setup project to create and upgrade with RemovePreviousVersions, as has been described here in this message thread.

DetectNewerInstalledVersions will prevent breaking an already installed version. You need to mage your versions because that's what this is based on, just like file versions increment when a file is changed. If you have three versions of your setup project, 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 and you create them over time, where each higher version contains upgrades, then you use RemovePreviousVersions in 2.0 and 3.0 so that they replace the older version. If a customer has 3.0 installed, then you usually don't want it to replace 1.0 - that's what DetectNewerInstalledVersions is for.

Right now I can't tell from your last message exactly what the problem is, so it would help if you could describe the problem on the client PC.

Phil Wilson
    Friday, November 11, 2011 8:00 PM